Wycombe abbey L6th entry requirements

(10 Posts)
Yasmin2013 Tue 29-Oct-13 11:04:37

Daughter's very keen to go to WA for L6th but thinks she won't be able to pass their entry requirements, any suggestions for non hot-housey public boarding schools with moderately high entry requirements?

Thanks smile

Dancingdreamer Tue 29-Oct-13 19:11:56

I placed a similar thread about a month ago as my DD also keen to board in 6th form. Had some great suggestions (sorry don't know how to paste the link) Told on my post that few years ago CLC were asking for 6 As at GCSE and think they have similar reputation to WA.

Based only on chat with admissions and prospectus, we are interested in looking at CLC, Rugby, Charterhouse, Wellington and Malvern. Few others on long list as well but we have few years yet to decide.

Wellington and Malvern gave particularly good impression on phone, very welcoming and seemed not to be just looking for high fliers to boost the league tables. Hope this helps.

Yasmin2013 Wed 30-Oct-13 15:08:50

Visited Wellington on one of their open mornings, and I hate to say but wasn't very impressed and I've heard from multiple sources that some of the kids are rather pretentious and stuck up, although I'm sure there are lovely Wellingtonians too.

Any thoughts on Queenswood, Tudor Hall and Canford?

Dancingdreamer Wed 30-Oct-13 19:42:10

Yes have heard mixed reports on Wellington. Friend had DS there and he wasn't happy at all but DD knows girl there. She is lovely girl and she has nothing but praise for the place. Hence why on shortlist. Going to see in spring.

Not explored any of others sorry. DD very specific about what she's looking for and they aren't on her list!

Yasmin2013 Thu 31-Oct-13 13:45:54

I'm starting to consider Malvern now, have you visited Malvern yet? If so then could you possibly give me your views or thoughts on it? smile

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Thu 31-Oct-13 13:52:41

Have you spoken to the school? I got in to WA at 6th form by the skin of my teeth, to be honest I didn't ace all of the entry exams but the school let me in as it was a lack of teaching rather than a lack of talent iyswim.
It is an awesome school and might be worth pursuing of that is what your daughter really wants.

Yasmin2013 Thu 31-Oct-13 15:54:59

No I haven't spoken to the school yet although I will soon, DD is just really scared that she won't get 9 B's for GCSEs and will fail the entrance exams. Did you find the entrance exams to be really hard?

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Thu 31-Oct-13 20:37:12

I can't remember how hard to be honest. All I can recall I'd that I didn't do very well especially in the French test (in spur of getting an A*) and was allowed to go as long as I didn't take a level French!

Dancingdreamer Fri 01-Nov-13 08:06:44

Yasmin - No haven't visited Malvern yet but know someone who used to work there and they raved about the school. Surprisingly very little feedback about Malvern on Mumsnet. Don't know why.

Oranges - would you be prepared to say what was your offer from WA and what grades you actually got? We have dismissed WA so far as being too academic for my DD. She didn't get in to local superselective but got academic scholarship at current independent and seems to be doing really well.

Yasmin2013 Sun 10-Nov-13 15:25:01

Does anyone have any opinion on Kings Canterbury and Canford as I'm starting to consider them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now