Waldegrave (Twickenham) vs. the Green School (Isleworth)?

(57 Posts)
Strix Sun 27-Oct-13 15:50:23

DD is perfectly capable of high academic performance. But given the choice would prefer to avoid it for an easy life. She is very good at math, and does pretty well in other subjects -- when and if the spirit moves her.

We are debating (flip flopping actually) whether to put Waldegrave (which we probably live too far to get into) or The Green School first on the Richmond borough CAF.

Any views / suggestions / experience?

Also, I fear (perhaps irrationally) that we could miss the green school by not putting it first.

DD Prefers Waldegrave for the sole reason that most of her friends will go there. Nothing else really matters to her.

celiamolestrangler Mon 04-Nov-13 18:10:41

I doubt non-Catholics would get into St RR this year - apparently there were 1,000 at the open evening! But if St RR started filling up last year, Christ's took from twice as far away for its foundation places, as far as Hammersmith. There seem to be a few other Church of England schools though (not an option for me). Hadn't realised Twyford took pupils from Whitton too.

Shootingatpigeons Mon 04-Nov-13 19:38:07

Celia There were a 1000 last year as well, how many at Teddington and Orleans? Everyone does the rounds. You will find other threads on here moaning about how many Catholics from Richmond and Twickenham get into Sacred Heart and Oratory and other out of borough schools. The Catholics I know from the Parishes around here don't think parents are going to give up cleaning the silver and putting their ten year olds forward as alter boys for a chance to go into the lottery for Oratory anytime soon, especially as the main rebuilding on the St RR site won't start for five years, so that there will be a lot of disruption over the seven years of a pupil's life .

Strix Mon 04-Nov-13 19:53:06

Well I am not sure that Twyford does take children from Whitton. But I out it in a space on the off chance that they might.

The list is now done and dusted. So I am trying to go into March with an open mind that I all of the schools on my list have positives. And I also like Turing, so that's 7. Surely I'll get one (and maybe two).

And last but not least, I think Richard Reynalds was a Sir and not a Saint.

Shootingatpigeons Mon 04-Nov-13 20:03:17
celiamolestrangler Mon 04-Nov-13 20:08:13

Well Catholic parents I've talked to are certainly putting St/Sir RR on their list. There was more to see this year and the head's speech went well. I think applications to Gumley were down a bit last year too, and Christ's definitely were (for church places).

It will be a bit hard to tell who is going where until next September - unless Turing House is telling people to accept or decline on the same day as the council?

Strix Tue 05-Nov-13 13:42:25

Oh the shame... my humble apologies. Why did I think it was Sir. Clearly you are right. oops....

Now who the heck was/is Saint Richard Reynalds?

xmb53 Tue 26-Nov-13 15:58:24

I think lot of Catholics will be putting down St RR as first choice, including those who would historically have put down Gumley or St Marks in the past. It will take children from St James and other Catholic primaries who previously had few options. I understand Head has been impressing prospective parents at open evenings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now