Stats GCSE in year 9? Good Idea or Utterly Bonkers?

(31 Posts)

First off, I rate ds' school very highly. But I am a bit aghast at this, especially as there has been notification (as far as know) to parents, and ds has dyspraxia.

I have talked to Head of Learning, and the Vice Principal about my concerns.

But ds won't even be 14 when he takes it (two days before his birthday!).

Ds seems unworried.

What do you all think?

Bunbaker Mon 14-Oct-13 21:26:57

If he is only working at a 6b I think it is a little over ambitious to do a GCSE in 7 months time.

keepsmiling12345 Mon 14-Oct-13 22:18:02

Sorry op but I would still suggest you discuss with the school. You say you are worried that your DC won't do as well as other children but, to be honest, if he is 6 B and others are level 8, then isn't that a highly likely outcome? And then you say that withdrawing him would reduce his confidence, which I understand. But surely the worst thing for his confidence and his self-esteem would be not to achieve at least a C in this GCSE. So, if I were his parent, i would want the school to give me a lot of evidence to satisfy me that he will achieve a C otherwise a/ he will be devastated and b/ there will be some universities who will not discount a D at GCSE just because it was taken early.

oh fuck. this is a fucking disaster.

They aren't all at level 8, just a few. And he was 6b at the end of year 8, and I assume he will be level 7c at least at the end of this year...

ihave to go with the schools assumption he will do well. I have told them I will come after them if he doesn't.

Talkinpeace Mon 14-Oct-13 23:09:10

Not a disaster. Just a worry for now.
Go nd have a meeting with his head of year and the Maths teacher.
Put to them ALL the points raised on this thread.

I will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now