Can someone explain Tiffin girls' entry scheme with relevance to post code?

(19 Posts)
macandcheesewithbaconbits Fri 11-Oct-13 20:57:27

Am I right in understanding that it has just recently changed to give preference to local girls? We are planning on moving to the area and I wondered how important distance to school will be?

tiggytape Sat 12-Oct-13 10:59:04

Not really. It has changed to give priority to lots of postcodes all over London and Surrey (as opposed to being open to applicants from hundreds of miles away which they had started to get).
The postcodes that get priority are:

KT1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 17, 19
TW1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
SW13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20
W3, 4, 5, 7, 13
UB1, 2
SM4
CR4

Ladymuck Sat 12-Oct-13 11:22:28

If you are not in one of the listed postcodes, then you won't get a place, regardless of score.

superram Sat 12-Oct-13 11:24:06

However, those postcodes cover a vast area so if you don't intend on buying there then unlikely to get in!

macandcheesewithbaconbits Sat 12-Oct-13 12:19:21

So as long as we live in an above postcode we have equal chance pending score?

tiggytape Sat 12-Oct-13 13:49:12

Yes. It doesn't matter if you live in the postcode next to the school or in the UB1 postcode 10 miles away. Once you live i a qualifying postcode, the only thing that matters is passing stage 1 and the combined score from stage 1 and stage 2 tests.

macandcheesewithbaconbits Sat 12-Oct-13 15:37:20

Thanks, that's very helpful. Is this a recent change- how has it affected intake subsequently?

Schmedz Sat 12-Oct-13 15:42:31

Very recent change as this is the first year they have limited the area from which applicants can get in. Doubt it will make a blind bit of difference to intake as the school will still be massively oversubscribed with far more children academically capable enough applying than there are places for. The postcode limitation is nowhere near 'limiting' enough!

tiggytape Sat 12-Oct-13 16:14:34

The girls who sat the exam this year are the first one ever to come under a postcode criteria but, as Schmedz says, the designated area is not only huge but very densely populated.

Tiffin Girls' still got over 1500 applicants this year even with the new restrictions in place. This is similar to numbers in previous years so the qualifying score and type of intake (top few %) is unlikely to change. That's not definite though - it could change things if people move especially to take the exam but so far it doesn't look as if it has.

Ladymuck Sat 12-Oct-13 16:35:18

I do wonder how many of this year's applicants are not in a relevant postcode. I suspect that some will have sat it without checking, and somjust for the kudos of saying they sat and "passed". I don't think that you have the option of moving into catchment afterwards if you are to submit a valid CAF, but I haven't checked.

tiggytape Sat 12-Oct-13 16:58:29

That's an interesting point.
As long as they move by October 31st then their application would be valid as in catchment even if they lived elsewhere on the date of the test. It is not very likely anyone would do this but not impossible if they were planning a move anyway.

Also, if they passed well and moved before March 1st, they would join the waiting lists in a much higher position based on their new address (assuming a good score) so even if they were ruled out in the first allocations due to their October address, they could leap to the top of the waiting lists in March if their score was high enough.

The exams are so early this year that they aren't much use as a free mockpaper for other school exams (as was the case years ago)
Tiffin Girls' is also a 2 stage test so that's a lot of effort to go to for pure bragging rights.

My guess would be any out of catchment candidates either plan to move very soon or just don't understand the new system so don't realise they have no hope of a place no matter what they score if they don't live in the designated area.

keepsmiling12345 Sat 12-Oct-13 18:56:14

The detailed information on Tiffin Girls website advises that the priority is for children whose permanent place of residence is in the "Designated Area". It then goes on to say that the "the permanent place of residence must be the address where the girl is living at the time of application and on the closing date for applications". And finally it makes clear that, due to the school being so oversubscribed, that "girls outside the Designated Area have no chance of being offered a place".

And I'd echo others, it is hardly giving preference to local girls! Just look at how far the postcodes in the Designated Area extend from the school...

ReallyTired Sun 13-Oct-13 12:52:15

I think that is a fair and sensible list. The catchment contains enough girls to allow the school ot be ultra selective, but stops girls travelling to the moon and back to get to school.

Strix Mon 21-Oct-13 14:18:35

So....... has anyone recieved Stage 1 results yet? I know I know it's only Monday.

AmazingDisgrace Mon 21-Oct-13 14:30:37

I doubt they'll send them out until later in the week. I'd put money on results arriving on Friday or Saturday. It's half term next week and I suspect the school will want to avoid the inevitable deluge of phone calls after results arrive

Strix Mon 21-Oct-13 15:18:52

That would be a dirty trick since we need the results before we decide whether or not to put Tiffin Girls on the CAF.

AmazingDisgrace Mon 21-Oct-13 15:51:22

Not really a dirty trick is it? You'll have the results in time. I can't blame the school if they do this.

Strix Mon 21-Oct-13 19:40:32

I was thinking they probably will post today, and have said we will get the resullts this week allowing for a few days in the post. Besides, I don't think many people will call them up. The score / invitation is what it is. I think phoning up for a chat about it is unlikely to influence the outcome.

But, anyway, I obviously suffer from impatience... tap tap tap...

AmazingDisgrace Tue 22-Oct-13 08:21:53

Oh I reckon quite a few parents of the thousand or so that don't make the cut will be straight on the phone wanting papers remarked. I hope there is someone at the school who can be contacted if people don't get their results by Friday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now