foreign exchange questions

(30 Posts)
bettterandnow Tue 08-Oct-13 14:45:43

DS is very quiet but wants to continue studying German. However the idea of foreign exchange terrifies him and I must admit I am not looking forward to it as the school have said in no uncertain terms that all AS level students must take part in the foreign exchange. How do you cope with a foreign exchange student? Any experince/tips gratefully received. How will we cope with the evenings? What did you do? There is nothing around us but restaurants and not exciting ones at that.

bettterandnow Tue 15-Oct-13 08:40:24

See as always MN so helpful and reassuring - thanks everyone.

FernieB would you do it all again? smile

AgentProvocateur re bed time that's very reassuring as my DS does tent to go up at 9pm and then I get some me time - at last grin

Icantotallydance - Japanese? Sounds interesting and different. How come?

FernieB Tue 15-Oct-13 08:51:10

I probably wouldn't do it again. Our school organised nothing in the evenings/weekend so it was all down to the parents. The girls were polite but as I said were only interested in Facebook. They didn't want to go out and said all the trips they went on during the day with their group were boring. My DDs ended up getting on quite well with them but I think they are relieved to have the house back to normal now. They found it hard having to spend so much time with them instead of just chilling out on their own. I'm glad we did it as an experience but wouldn't repeat it.

bettterandnow Tue 15-Oct-13 21:59:43

Interesting to have your replies FernieB especially your last one. I have a feeling it will be the same for us. It's hard enough having family to stay and keep everyone happy but for this length of time and not knowing what they really like and dislike, and say if they would rather just chill sometimes or be entertained all the time to help it go quicker - all rather daunting.

FernieB Tue 15-Oct-13 22:48:54

I wouldn't worry unduly. Your DS has to do it as part of his course (although how that can be enforced is beyond me - they can't force you to pay for the exchange and I doubt the exam board is bothered). You will get through it and you don't need to plan anything much. If your DS has a games console that will probably be enough to entertain them.

Bettterandnow Mon 10-Feb-14 00:16:35

Just thought i would update for anyone who might find this useful. Exchange all done now. No benefit to be seen mainly because the students just chat amongst their own group and especially thanks to fancy mobiles etc teens from both sides just fill their time with their faces glued to whatever screen they have to hand. Chatting with other parents i found this to be the case for all. So huge cost and minute benefit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now