sibling rule question

(13 Posts)
Evageorge Fri 04-Oct-13 13:43:17

The sibling rule depends on the individual school's entrance criteria. You will need to check that.

prh47bridge Fri 04-Oct-13 13:24:09

I have seen one or two schools that give priority to siblings of former pupils. Indeed, I know one that did so even when it wasn't allowed. But it is unusual. Where it does happen it is normally when the older sibling is at the school at the time of application but will have left by the time the younger sibling actually starts.

circular Fri 04-Oct-13 07:12:17

At the school DD1 just left at end of yr11, the sibling rule comes before their distance rule. It applies for siblings in school up to yr12 at time of application, and there must be a reasonable expectation for them to be staying at the school when the sibling starts.
I do know of a few yr11 parents that new full well their older DC would be moving for 6th form, but got places for next DC anyway. Difficult to police, as 6th form enrolment not till August when GCSE results out.

In our case, DD2 is in yr6 and DD1 already left, but would pronabll still get a place on distance criteria. If she didnt, we wound consider appealing, one of the grounds being that it was the schools fault that our sibling link was broken, due to A level subjects that have aleays run in previous years. being canned.

Jaynebxl Fri 04-Oct-13 05:47:40

Well you learn something every day! I've never heard it called the sibling rule before andnibe been teaching for over 20 years!

In our area it only applies to children with siblings currently in the same school, whether that's 6th form or below but definitely not former pupils. The point of it is to make life easier for families so they don't have to get kids to two schools at once. So that wouldn't be relevant to siblings who are former pupils.

mummyblues Fri 04-Oct-13 00:00:48

Thanks everyone
prh - Thats interesting about former pupils but do many school choose that criteria especially if they are over subscribed?

prh47bridge Thu 03-Oct-13 23:32:26

This varies from school to school. It used to be the case that sibling priority only applied if the older sibling was still expected to be at the school when the younger sibling started. The latest Admissions Code changed that and schools can now give priority to siblings of former pupils. So you need to check the admission criteria of this school and see what they say about siblings.

Zingy123 Thu 03-Oct-13 23:15:45

Some only say if sibling is in a year up to year 11 whereas others say year 12 and 13. Check with your LEA.

The school that my DD2 currently attends has a sibling rule that applies even if the older sibling is in 6th form - DD1 was in year 11 when we applied. (VA faith school)

5madthings Thu 03-Oct-13 23:11:04

Yes Jayne if you have a child at the school already you get sibling priority.

Its normally children in care/adopted etc and those with any special needs first.

Siblings

Those in catchment

Everybody else.

Some school have a siblings in catchment and then siblings out of catchment.

meditrina Thu 03-Oct-13 23:10:28

You'd need to check the entrance criteria to see if sibling priority is there at all (it's normal for primaries, not a given for secondaries, especially for selective places). It would apply only to those who would be attending the school at the same time.

Jaynebxl Thu 03-Oct-13 23:09:08

What's the sibling rule? Do you mean a child getting a place at a school because they have a sibling there?

5madthings Thu 03-Oct-13 23:08:52

Sibling rule only applies up to end of yr 11 and does not apply for a level years, or at least that is the rule in my area, it may vary by school and Lea.

mummyblues Thu 03-Oct-13 23:07:34

Hi, If your youngest DC is about to start secondary school whilst your eldest is doing A levels at the same school does the sibling rule still apply?
Just wondering how it works with larger age gaps with siblings
is anyone aware of the sibling rule being used for former pupils of the same school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now