St. John's Senior School, Enfield / Potters Bar

(16 Posts)
flo222 Thu 03-Oct-13 14:40:41

Does anyone have any info/views on St. John's senior school in Enfield / Potters Bar? We are considering this school for my ds, but can't seem to find much out about the school. I have the prospectus and will be booking to do the entrance test shortly.

Can anyone help? It's weird that there isn't much on here about the school.

Thanks.

Gunznroses Thu 03-Oct-13 16:20:13

Yes its quite telling!

i know far too many defectors from St John's, wouldn't touch it with a bargpole.

flo222 Thu 03-Oct-13 18:42:25

That's the impression I get from the few comments on here, but no one will give any reasons why.

Have they left recently the children that you know? Could you give any reasons why they were unhappy there?

If it was such a bad school you would think there would be lots of negative comments on here.

Gunznroses Thu 03-Oct-13 20:42:41

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

flo222 Fri 04-Oct-13 12:36:00

Thanks for your comments. Shocking that the Head gets away with that behaviour!

Gunznroses Fri 04-Oct-13 19:58:10

There are other lovely preps in that area albeit single sex, you have Stormont or Lochinver House if you are willing to travel further up the that part of Herts, there are about 4 other really good preps in Hertford and Watton at Stone.

flo222 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:13:58

Thanks. I'm looking for a secondary school. We are also considering Haileybury. I was curious to see if I could get any inside info on St. John's, seeing as very few speak of it!

Gunznroses Sat 05-Oct-13 11:51:58

Haileybury is very good, not heard anything bad about it and it takes a broad range of children, beautiful quiete location but neither in the middle of nowhere iyswim. There is also Bishops Stortord college (4-18) and the Anglo Hockerill both in Bishops Stortford town. Both more academic than haileybury and also very good schools. You also have St Edmunds up in Ware, slightly less academic than Haileybury but also very good, lovely location, good facilities etc. Depends on how far you can travel, the Anglo Hockerill school is state boarding.

coffecupmum Sun 20-Oct-13 17:36:45

We have sent our son here for four years and he loves the place as do all his friends. Yes it is strict but it works and the pupils do really well as can be seen from the results. All his friends are super polite and do not have that overtly pushy arrogance that some privately educated boys have. I have heard people complain about it but they do not seem to have children there. Many families send all their children there and they all seem happy with the education they are getting. Also it received an Outstanding from Ofsted last year, so I believe if there were any genuine concerns rather than gossip these would have been picked up.

flo222 Sun 03-Nov-13 22:13:56

Thank you for your views. I was hoping to hear from someone with a child at the school. We are still considering the school and I am keeping an open mind.

flavas Thu 07-Nov-13 12:14:24

I know a few parents who have/had children at St Johns.

Two out of three of them took their children out. One was the same nationality as the head and said to me she felt the head was a bit biased - although was always lovely to her. However she felt the school was very rigid and although discipline is good, it also needed to be administered with a high level of pastoral care so every child is treated fairly. She also couldn't understand why her 5 year old was forced to wear shorts in winter.

The other parent took her child out as she said the fees are very basic and that there are lots of hidden costs that she would expect to be included in the fees or at least clearly stated before enrolment.

The third parent doesn't say much about the actual school, but talks about the location and how beautiful it is and how much she enjoys the drive and dropping her kids of.

Hope this helps!

Incidentally I'm in the same boat trying to decide between schools! At the end of the day if you are hesitant about one but logically it ticks all the boxes then I'd lean towards the one you are less hesitant about even if it doesn't tick all the boxes. Mothers instinct!

Good luck

JessicaG04 Thu 14-Nov-13 21:06:42

I went to St Johns Senior school from year 7 until upper sixth form. I can honestly say that I enjoyed every moment, there was not a day when I did not want to go to school. Yes, the teaching is traditional, there are strict rules and some eccentric ways but, I absolutely loved every minute. I am now studying at the Royal Veterinary College and have realised how lucky I was being at St Johns compared to stories from my fellow students. Studying at St Johns was like being a part of a big family, every teacher and pupil knows one another and the general atmosphere is one that I would want my children to be within in the future.
There are negative comments and stories about St Johns however, I completely disagree. I spent 7 years at St Johns and know the school inside out. I would recommend this school if you would like your child to grow up and be taught principles, morals and good tradition. You will have to abide by some slightly unique rules however, the quirkiness of the school is what defines it, along with the outstanding Ofsted reports and great academic history.
I have friends that also attended St Edmonds and Haileybury who also loved their time at school. It is completely down to the feeling that you get when visiting.
I had a great time whilst at St Johns and regularly visit since leaving. I would definitely recommend this school from my personal experience whilst studying there and being a part of the St Johns community.
My parents also feel that the level of service and teaching is good value for the tuition fees.

Barry09 Thu 14-Nov-13 21:46:13

My daughter has been in private education since primary school and she has been in a number of private schools . I can honestly say that St. John's is a fantastic school . It's standards are very high and the discipline is there and I think this is a good thing for your child . The teachers are very helpful and the headmaster is always open to your comments . I recently complained and he handled it very well .
I disagree with the previous person advising how bad it is when their kids didn't even go to the school ? ..

My daughter is finishing St. John's this year and she loves the school she has enjoyed her time at the school so much ,. Yes it's hard work and they do have regular mini tests lots of homework but this is an excellent foundation that prepares them mentally when they have exams .
If your child does not want to be pushed then maybe it's not the school , but if you want your child to succeed them this is an excellent school
The school is very close with its pupils and they are like a big family . Excellent standards excellent grounds and excellent teaching ....

luisa101 Tue 04-Feb-14 16:18:32

mysn99 Mon 24-Feb-14 01:49:34

flo222 Thu 27-Feb-14 16:03:53

Thank you for your comments - We have accepted a place at another school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now