Do the likes of Habs & NLCS select enough girls from state primaries?

(10 Posts)
Shajo Sat 28-Sep-13 17:24:26

Hi,

My DD is in a good state primary. We would like her to get through to a good independant senior school. But I am worried if they have much of a chance against the prep schools kids.
Does anyone know what % of girls come from state primaries in the top independant schools after 11+?
Are they welcomed there? Or are the majority seats filled up by other independant/prep school candidates?

Worried......

Thanks,
Shajo

horsemadmom Sat 28-Sep-13 19:01:47

DD just started in yr 7 at NLCS and just going by her form, it's about half state and half prep. It was about the same when my older DD moved up from NLCS junior school. I doubt this is engineered in any way. I also doubt that they can even see which school the girls come from when they mark the exam. If your DD is really, really bright and you have prepped her for the material that she won't have covered at her school, she has the same chance as anyone. I will say that the girls who have been at state schools are used to being the cleverest in their old schools. Being with equally capable girls is either a relief or a shock.

meditrina Sat 28-Sep-13 19:07:00

You said 'enough' in thread title. It simply doesn't work like that.

They take those who perform best in the entrance exams and who interview well. They don't really care about where previous education took place.

Moominmammacat Sat 28-Sep-13 20:45:22

Agree with Meditrina, it's not that hard. Mine did it from state primaries with just a few past papers from me.

Shajo Sat 28-Sep-13 21:49:16

Thanks a lot for your replies. It definitely helps. I am relieved, if she is bright enough and can prepare then her primary school will not leave her disadvantaged.

Eastpoint Sun 29-Sep-13 08:29:26

From my experience the schools are keen to have pupils from state schools and offer outreach programs. My dcs' schools make a huge effort with local state schools, 6th formers helping with homework, extra maths & drama for state schools etc. Deputy head was a governor at a local school with high FSM% and we were asked if we had any bikes, scooters etc we could donate.

NLCS & Habs are really good schools & their mission will be to educate able girls from all backgrounds. If anything I would expect a state school candidate to be given an advantage if two equal candidates.

FormaLurka Sun 29-Sep-13 11:03:55

DD is at one of the schools mentioned in the OP and she went to a state primary. The majority of her classmates are from a prep school background but his is a matter of economics as opposed to any kind of selection criteria on the part of the school.

Judging by the cars and the holidays taken, we, although 'comfortable', are at the bottom of the economic food chain but I haven't noticed DD being treated any differently.

BlackMogul Mon 30-Sep-13 19:44:10

You could always try Queenswood in Brookmans Park. Easier to get into and definitely take from State schools.

NomDeClavier Mon 30-Sep-13 19:49:44

The ultra competitives just take the best. It's the second tier of indies where previous schooling comes into it a bit more IME, with feeder preps and then slightly more cliqueyness in the school so if you're concerned about your DD feeling welcome in the school it might be a question to ask them. Habs/NLCS it really won't matter.

Shajo Tue 01-Oct-13 17:28:10

Good to know that NlCS/Habs are impartial.

NomDeClavier- you make a good point, the second tier indies seem to have strong ties to their prep schools and might not be so inclusive. I live in Northwood so St Helen's strikes me as one. I wonder if the girls from primary schools end up in a group of their own in such schools. If the do get selected that is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now