Private School Admissions

(12 Posts)
boythengirl Fri 27-Sep-13 12:41:52

Just a quick query as not educated in the UK so every time DC are about to start school etc. I haven't a clue! They are currently at a state primary but starting to look at all the options for secondary. Re private school admissions do you need to have your child's name 'down' with the school years in advance or do you just apply when it is time? i.e. the year before?
Thank you!

mummytime Fri 27-Sep-13 12:55:57

It depends on the school. Some have lists eg. Radley; some you just have to apply in the Autumn before entry to sit the entrance exam, some you sit a pre-exam one or two years in advance.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 27-Sep-13 13:00:29

There is also big difference between boys and girls and day and boarding. Then add area into the mix and that complicates it.
I have girl and just going through senior process. In my area the vast majority of girls move at 11, open days are now with registration by 30th November, exams Jan, interviews feb, offers end of feb and finally you need to accept offer by first week in March.

boythengirl Fri 27-Sep-13 13:02:14

Thanks mummytime. I suppose the obvious thing to do is contact relevant schools...just didn't want to look like a complete 'amateur'!

NewBlueShoesToo Fri 27-Sep-13 13:03:34

Phone the schools you are interested in and talk to the admissions people. It varies with each school. Then arrange to visit and find out what you would have to do regarding entry tests because you won't be doing Common Entrance. The schools are generally very keen to help and advise.
Good luck.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 27-Sep-13 13:08:45

>There is also big difference between boys and girls
that depends on the area - in mine there's no difference at all. The mixed and single sex schools all move at 11.

You generally start thinking about it in yr4, then in year 5 go to open days and ideally also do visits in school hours (same for state GS - other state schools sometimes have open days start of yr 6). Can't remember about applications but here some of the entrance exams were in the winter term or early in the spring term. (GS 11+ in September, before the privates). Some have interviews.

You are a potential customer for a private school so anything you want to know about their procedures, and also things like their detailed exam results - just ask them.

exexpat Fri 27-Sep-13 13:11:03

These days school websites usually have pretty clear guidance on how the admissions process works, though it sometimes takes a bit of digging to find it as website design isn't always brilliant...

Round here, the private day schools just accept applications the autumn before entry, with entrance exams in January, but the more exclusive boarding schools and London schools may be more complicated.

Somethingyesterday Fri 27-Sep-13 13:13:19

You can completely avoid looking like an amateur (not that it matters) or more importantly missing dates by reading the schools' websites thoroughly before doing anything else. They will clearly state what their individual admissions process is.

Once you've read about a dozen of these you'll see how they fall into different groups - and you'll have an idea of what type of school might suit each of your Dcs. It really isn't just a matter of putting a name down.

But I suggest that you start looking as early as possible. Know the deadlines 3 -5 years in advance....

Some of the London Day schools for boys have pre tests in year 6 for 13+ entry so you actually need to register in yr 5. Do check the websites as other have suggested.

boythengirl Fri 27-Sep-13 19:44:38

Thank you all....will get researching!

trinity0097 Sat 28-Sep-13 06:30:01

Most senior schools will bend their admissions policy if they have spaces, it is always worth asking! We had one child change schools after CE this year, and some this year who are doing entrance tests in yr 8 to schools that test in yr 6 for their yr 9 entry, including at least one very popular/oversubscribed school.

ColdFusion Sat 28-Sep-13 09:34:29

The school websites will have their admissions arrangements.

Generally, selective schools with a Year 7 start require you to register by a cut off date sometime this term, so that they can have an assessment day in January. Non-selective schools are more flexible, but you will need to accept a place by the beginning of March if you want to be guaranteed of it. If the school does not usually fill all its places, you can sign up any time.

13+ schools typically have a two year lead time, with protests somewhere between Y5 and Y7.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now