Year 7 maths help please (angles, bisecting, arcs etc etc)!

(7 Posts)
sicily1921 Thu 26-Sep-13 21:53:05

Hello, would be grateful for some help with this, my DD said they were not supposed to use protractors but a compass. It seemed to be trying to bisect a straight line by drawing to intersecting circles?? Any clues?
She said she also had to use a similar method (the circles) to bisect a 60 degree angle.

Thanks in advance peeps.

kernowal Thu 26-Sep-13 22:16:47

I seem to remember drawing a straight horizontal line. Put the compass on the left hand side and put the pencil on the right hand side (both right at the very end of the line) the draw a circle. Swap sides and do the same again. Draw a vertical line between the points where the 2 circles intersect. It should bisect the original line.

Dysgu Thu 26-Sep-13 22:33:58

Here is an easy video of the 60 degree angle.
60 degrees

Here is the one to bisect a line.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwShZj6RK54

Use Smart board - similar or same as used in class hopefully so should be easy for your DD to follow.

maree1 Thu 26-Sep-13 23:25:56

Khan academy online has all that you will need in Year 7 ...and the years to come

NoComet Thu 26-Sep-13 23:36:40
sicily1921 Fri 27-Sep-13 20:44:37

This is brilliant, thanks all, if I could kiss you lot I would!! Just explained it to DD and she gets it now, so do I! smile

MN can be sooooo fab at times..........

NoComet Fri 27-Sep-13 23:50:00

I'm glad we all helped, DD1 always reckons that between them Bite size and the CGP series of revision books can be used to sort out most things.

They bailed her out big time when she lost all four of her KS3 maths exercise books. She used them to revise and got put up to set 2.

Ok that's where she should always have been, but still.

She revises a lot of science on the BBC too and I used bitesize to do DD2's Geography. (She was ill, it was late, I googled she wrote)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now