Has anyone used the 'managed move' process?

(13 Posts)
FuckyNell Thu 26-Sep-13 14:16:36

My son started year 7 a couple of weeks ago and we soon realised that he should have gone to our 2nd choice school. The council have said that we must do it via the schools and that it is called a managed move. The local head teachers get together every 3 weeks to discuss issues and they will discuss my sons case.

I wonder has anyone been through similar? And what tips can I give my son, the meeting is a couple of weeks away yet and he is unhappy.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Thu 26-Sep-13 17:59:27

Are there no places at the second choice school?

We use managed moves mainly as a strategy to avoid permanent exclusions. The child goes to another school for a fixed period - usually six weeks. At the end of that time, the school decide whether to keep or send back. Meetings before and after normally include both schools plus child and parents.

prh47bridge Thu 26-Sep-13 18:30:26

If you are in England your council is talking rubbish.

Under the Admissions Code you have the right to apply for any school at any time. If you apply for your second choice school and there is a place available they must give it to you. If there is no place available they must put you on the waiting list and allow you to appeal.

Refer your council to paragraph 2.21 of the Admissions Code and say that you want to exercise your right to apply for a place at your second choice school. If they refuse you should tell them you intend to refer their breach of the Admissions Code to the LGO.

Orangeanddemons Thu 26-Sep-13 18:35:09

Managed moves are only for kids who are near exclusion

FuckyNell Thu 26-Sep-13 20:39:24

Hi all thanks for your replies.

It can't only be for kids nearing exclusion, my son has never been reprimanded, let alone almost excluded. He's only been there two weeks.

I was told that the 'rules' have changed since July and now this is the way to do it. I spoke to both schools and this is true (apparently). So that's the council and 2 schools saying the same thing.

I too thought it would be a case of a straight swap but clearly not.

I think though I again will call the council tomorrow, and update. Cheers!

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Thu 26-Sep-13 21:19:04

Prh47bridge knows what she is talking about!

We have definitely had kids coming to us this academic year not on managed moves - because we have places they just apply and we have to accept.

FuckyNell Thu 26-Sep-13 22:43:09

Ok will call again. Maybe I'll just fill the online form in anyway!

prh47bridge Fri 27-Sep-13 01:18:58

The rules have changed but not in the way your council is suggesting.

The change to the rules is simply that the council no longer has to co-ordinate in-year admissions. Some councils are continuing to co-ordinate in-year admissions. If yours is one of those you would apply to the council for a place at your second choice school. If your council is not co-ordinating in-year admissions you would apply direct to the school.

Either way there is no reason for your son's current school to be involved. They cannot veto the move nor can the second choice school refuse to accept your son on the basis of information they have received from his current school.

The rules are simple. You have a right to apply for a place at your second choice school. If that school has a place available they must offer it to you. If there is no place available they must give you the right to appeal.

I'm afraid some councils have a long history of discouraging parents from moving their children between schools by making them get a form signed by the current school or similar. What your council is doing puts them very firmly in that bracket. Such measures are, and always have been, a clear breach of the Admissions Code.

Don't take any nonsense from your council or the schools. They are wrong.

FuckyNell Fri 27-Sep-13 07:50:37

Ok thanks so should I just fill in the casual in year admission form, even though I've officially asked for a managed move?

ImATotJeSuisUneTot Fri 27-Sep-13 07:56:44

Having an official managed move on his record this early into his secondary education would be a big red flag in the future.

I've never known a managed move that wasn't to avoid exclusion.

Do not go down that route!

FuckyNell Fri 27-Sep-13 08:13:51

Oh no. Noooooooooo!!!!!!

He just wants to change schools, that's it! He's not in trouble. I'm off to drop the in year school admissions form now.

What else can I do?

prh47bridge Fri 27-Sep-13 11:00:27

Once you've dropped off the form there is nothing more to do other than wait until they either offer a place or tell you that they are unable to do so. If they don't make an offer you will be able to appeal against the decision.

unknownj Sun 15-May-16 20:02:15

A managed move is 16 weeks actually which can be extended if the headteacher feels it right

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now