Art Scholarship

(7 Posts)
gremlindolphin Tue 24-Sep-13 14:59:56

Hi hope someone can help!

It has been suggested that my dd goes in for an Art Scholarship for Year 9 entry at her school which is wonderful (very competitive so not holding our breath)

Just wondered if there were any Art Teachers or parents of Art Scholars who has been through this sort of thing and could give any tips?

They have to submit work including their sketch pad and if they go to next stage have an interview.

She draws/paints/pastels literally the whole time and is interested in art in general. Should I make sure we go to some Art Galleries in the run up to this? Should I get an artist to have a go at some other media/styles with her? What guidance can I give her in which sketches she selects?

I don't want to get carried away! Any help appreciated.

Asterisk Tue 24-Sep-13 15:08:56

Not an art teacher, but I think these judgements are made on quality of the portfolio. It sounds like your daughter has a good body of work to show -- choose carefully which to take in rather than overwhelming them with too much stuff. I do think it's a good idea to visit a current exhibition as it might help her to show commitment at the interview, but getting an artist in would be OTT IMHO. Do think through the implications of being an art scholar though -- would she be obliged to do A-level art? Even though she might be keen on it at the moment, GCSE art kills the subject for many children, and art at A-level is not a prerequisite for doing an art foundation course if she does want to pursue art seriously. But of course she should apply and you can wrangle with any strings attached to the offer if she gets offered the scholarship.

BlackMogul Tue 24-Sep-13 17:55:15

Surely the art teacher at her current school will advise. Does the school offering the art scholarship not tell you what they want to see?

Labro Tue 24-Sep-13 18:11:06

Speak to current art teacher. They will know the criteria and make sure the portfolio is put together correctly. They will also communicate with the next art teacher with regard to what they wish to see in that portfolio so that appropriate opportunties can be provided.

pimmsgalore Thu 26-Sep-13 11:32:40

My DD was awarded an art scholarship at 11+ and is about to do the 13+ scholarship (although we have already been told she is above the quality line and it is just a question of whether the award will be increased). Her art teacher is running extra classes for those who wish to try for a scholarship and it is a case if having a portfolio with different styles and materials. She is also trying for a DT scholarship as she has been told they go hand in hand.

I would ask her teacher what is expected and go from there. I also second finding out what is involved once you have the scholarship. My DD has to do gcse art but not a level even though the award is continuous through to 18. The school have also said they will support her when it cones to subject choices as she wants to be an architect and currently couldn't do the right course combination with an art scholarship but they are willing to adapt for her.

BlackMogul Thu 26-Sep-13 15:27:23

Pims. Art A level is highly recommended for Architecture. Just researched this for a friend of mine.

pimmsgalore Thu 26-Sep-13 20:01:22

Blackmogul yes in this country but she wants to go abroad so would be better doing maths and sciences with art at gcse.

She may change her mind and do a level art but at least we know she can drop it if she wants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now