Gifted and Talented 8 year old

(6 Posts)
flowersinthewind Mon 23-Sep-13 11:04:30

Hi my son has been invited to the local university to complete a year 3 and 4 writing course he has been on the G and T register since year 2 . a couple of the other kids who have been on these courses have not been invited this time according to one of the other mums. Why has my son been invited and not the others ? (i am just wondering/nosey cant approach the school and ask why )

Flossiechops Mon 23-Sep-13 12:13:51

Why can't you approach the school?? If it involves your dc of course you can!

flowersinthewind Mon 23-Sep-13 12:49:31

i just dont feel able too ask

SubliminalMassaging Mon 23-Sep-13 12:55:38

Don't be daft! Go and ask exactly what it entails, and why your child has been invited but others on the G&T register haven't. For goodness sake, I'm surprised you would consider sending him without asking the school some pertinent questions.

It might just simply be due to limited numbers and they want to give all the eligible kids a turn.

SavoyCabbage Mon 23-Sep-13 12:56:19

I work for a company who runs gifted and talented workshops.

Our system is that we have a certain number of places, we ask schools to put forward any children that they think are suitable for that program, then we invite them and the parents decide if they want them to do it.

Sometimes we will ask a school to choose three chikdren. Sometimes one. Depending on how many schools we approach and how many places there are.

longingforsomesleep Mon 23-Sep-13 13:00:18

If you don't feel able to ask does your son not have a homework diary/planner that you could write the question in for his teacher to see? Could you not email the school or send a note in?

It may well be a local authority thing. When my kids were at primary there were a few things like this. I think the selection process was very complicated - something like putting the names of all the G&T primary children in the area into a bag and pulling out a set number of names! Which would explain the arbitrary nature of selection at your son's school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now