Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Admission experts question please

(4 Posts)
measuringcup Fri 20-Sep-13 09:37:33

We are in a house in village A and just submitted secondary applications.

There is a chance we will be given notice by landlord which would run out after application deadline.

If we did we would have to move in with my parents who are in nearby town in same LEA.

We would not change our options.
School A is undersubscribed.
School b is faith school we would get in from nearby town anyway
School 3 is undersubscribed.

Would we still be classes as a late application particularly on the faith school where we would not get in.

admission Fri 20-Sep-13 12:11:33

It depends on exactly what the LA say is their policy. The cut off date for on time applications is the 31st October. However most LAs have a short period after this, when parents can change address and their new address can be used and treated as an on-time application. Typically this is 4 to 6 weeks period.
After that cut off date, you are obliged to inform the LA that you have moved, but if you ask them to change address for admission purposes then you will be classed as a late application and effectively go to the end of the queue for places as all on-time applications are dealt with first.
Given what you have said, the best option is to inform the LA when you move, so it is does not create any issues over trying to deceive the council over where you are living. However tell them to take the new address for communication purposes only. That means that the LA will continue to use the original address for admission purposes and from what you have said you will probably still get your preferences.
It is all about dates, so you need to make sure that you have the relevant dates, which will be on the LA website and in the actual booklet produced by the LA.

measuringcup Fri 20-Sep-13 12:25:28

I had a look at the policy and it just says about moving into the borough rather than moving within the borough.

So I can ask them to use new address for communication only?

Thank you

measuringcup Fri 20-Sep-13 12:48:15

My areas site is rubbish but I've found what you mean on another LA site so understand now, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now