parent year 7 wobble - join in here

(58 Posts)
minidipper Mon 09-Sep-13 14:36:10

Anyone else having a mega wobble about Yr7? I can't believe how stressed I feel. Watching DS set off for school all trussed up in his tie (which he hates) and absolutely bent double by the massive weight of books he has to lug around because there isn't actually time for him to get to his locker between lessons.

I thought he'd be excited by his new school but he's just very subdued. It's heart breaking. Today I had a fantasy about homeschooling him, but sadly that can't work for us, as I am sole breadwinner, since DH was made redundant and hasn't found work for over 5 years.

Sorry to offload but I can't believe how emotional I feel. Found a picture of him in the sunshine on a mini dipper at the fair when he was small and got a lump in my throat.

Is anyone else feeling the same? Or has anyone felt this and can now report that all is well?

IslaValargeone Fri 13-Sep-13 12:24:28

I had tears from my dd this morning about going in, she had to be piggy backed home on Wednesday night she was so exhausted and has a patch of raw skin on her back from where her bag has been rubbing. She is so tiny too, I feel awful, had a cry myself after I dropped her off.

DS has come home today in a good mood -apart from more homework! He has just signed up to another after school club - so now he has football, rugby and cross country after school - as well as everything else he does.

I am hopnig he will drop a few activities along the way!

minidipper Sun 15-Sep-13 23:10:18

Isla that's so sad. Hope her back is better now. Can you get her a more padded bag?
manky we ditched some old clubs this term as it's clear he's just too knackered for them. Felt a bit sad saying goodbye to clubs he's been in since he was five and grown up through all the different stages, but he needs some down time too.

All pretty good here until a late evening melt down from me blush when I found out he'd gone up stairs to do homework and spent 1 1/2 hours on you tube instead, then casually announced he needs speedos not shorts for swimming tomorrow. (Could he have mentioned that when we were shopping earlier?) But it is getting easier.

minidipper Mon 16-Sep-13 17:34:16

DS just came home from school, really proud of himself. He spent 10 mins at his locker after school, sorting all his books out and working out what needed to come home and what didn't. He's now tucked up in front of his favourite TV programme with a cheese toastie, before doing his homework. He just told me being organised is one of the best feelings he's ever had. smile

Scatter Mon 23-Sep-13 10:13:24

A tip from me - buy a dozen zip-lock folders and give him one per subject to keep exercise books, text books, loose sheets of homework etc. in. Keep these at home and each night, encourage him to pack the ones he'll need for tomorrow's lessons into his school bag. Anything that goes to school with him then comes home each evening.

This way, everything is kept at home (less chance of being lost). Piles of books at home look more manageable as you only get out one folder at a time for homework. And it's quick and easy to pack his own school bag with the ziplock folders.

Hope this helps with the organisation side of things.

And now can you all tell me how to cope with a Year 7 boy who was golden child at primary school, involved in everything with a really strong friendship group, who is coping fine with the organisation, work, finding his way round etc of secondary school and has joined lots of groups but is still unhappy about being there and doesn't seem to have made any close new friends yet?! He cried this morning before school and I am taking plenty of time to listen to his worries but they are very non-specific. It just isn't his old school and they just aren't his old friends and he just doesn't like 'hanging around' at breaktimes instead of playing football like he used to. Any tips for settling him in socially?

Thanks guys.

minidipper Tue 24-Sep-13 14:16:00

Scatter - that tip is great. I did that (someone else recommended it somewhere) and it really has helped DS get organised.

As to your lovely son not being settled, he could be emotional because he's tired. DS is so tired he's crying a bit at times.

On making friends - are they allowed ot bring in a football? If so, could he ask around and see who wants to play at break, then bring one in next day?

If not, chat to him about the boys in his class. Ask if anyone else likes his favourite TV show/game/music/hobby etc and listen to see if the same name crops up more than once. If it does suggest that he might want to spend time with that person at lunch or break. (Or invite them over after school one night?) Try and set him some very simple targets of spending lunch time with one new person a day until he finds someone he wants to spend time with. (I'm copying advice maybe from upthread, which I passed onto DS and it helped him a bit.) Also reassure him that it takes time and to give himself at least until half term to figure out what other people are like, and then another half term to work out who he;d like to invite over.

KittiesInsane Tue 24-Sep-13 14:22:18

Scatter, DD loves her new school but we had tears yesterday that ended in wails of 'I wish we had a climbing frame to play on like at primary schoo-ool!'

i think tiredness really hits them a few weeks into term.

mumslife Tue 24-Sep-13 19:23:48

Yes glad bullying seems sorted touch wood. Very tired here and little things making him tearful. Def needs help with organising himself though after losing pe kit twice first week and two pAirs of shoelaces things are looking up a tad. Joined lots of clubs even a basketball one and thats someone who hates sport! Homework doesnt seem too heavy. I also do the zippy folder thing different colour for each subject and colour codr timetable seems to be working well also put wallet keys phone etc on stretchy lanyards attached to inside of bag and name everything so things have less chance of getting lost

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now