Gang culture at Watford Grammar School for Boys

(13 Posts)
dannyboy3010 Thu 05-Sep-13 23:00:56

I am looking at potential secondary schools for my son and one on the list is Watford Grammar for Boys. I recently heard from a parent whose son is at the school that there was a gang element at WGBS and their son had been attacked before.

Do any other parents have knowledge of this sort of problem at this school?

I know this sort of thing happens outside many schools and may not be under control of the school, but if the boys are thinking this way, then I might think twice about sending my boy there.

Thanks for any reply...

valiumredhead Thu 05-Sep-13 23:27:59

I don't know OP but will bump for yousmile

LibraryBook Fri 06-Sep-13 09:49:19

I know quite a few families with boys at Watford Grammar.

What on earth do you mean by gang element? All schools have gangs, otherwise known as friendship groups.

Au79 Fri 06-Sep-13 09:55:36

Gangs are thuggy groups who beat others up, steal their things, and even kill people occasionally.

Yes, I suppose you could describe that as a friendship group. Not one I'd like in my school!

LibraryBook Fri 06-Sep-13 10:09:13

I've never heard of any of those things as a specific problem of Watford Boys' Grammar. There are always lots of negative rumours about the better schools and it's mostly as a result of envy.

Go and have a look at the school.

LibraryBook Fri 06-Sep-13 10:10:28

Does the woman whose son was attacked still send her son to Watford Grammar?

BlackMogul Fri 06-Sep-13 20:03:40

All boys have fights!!! They did in my day, many moons ago, and they do now. It is a high performing grammar school and all that competitive instinct has to vent itself somewhere. I would be certain that this was a fairly isolated case, but it seems inconceivable gangs are roaming the school intimidating other pupils. In boys schools there can be a lot of teasing and boys need to be robust. The school is large, however, and there a lots of opportunities to make sound friends. Lots of schools have elements who will take things that don't belong to them! DD went t a very well respected girls school where many things disappeared - for a while! Don't believe the far fetched rumours.

I have a son in the current Y9. When he started in September 2011, there was a small group of boys who were badly behaved (getting into fights, minor vandalism). The 'leader' of the group was excluded after being given a second and third chance. The other boys in the group then integrated much better into school life. One of them is in DS1's form and DS1 gets on well with him now.

I was very impressed with how the school dealt with it.

The boys do pick up some 'gangsta' slang, but that's the way many young people speak amongst their peers, especially in the London area. I went to an independent school in the late 1980s and the boys did that even then!

The boys are hard-working and respectful.

DS2 has just started there this week and I am still as impressed as I was when DS1 started 2 years ago.

dannyboy3010 Wed 18-Sep-13 11:11:03

Guys, thanks for all your comments.

Nothing recent, but we used to live locally, and some of the nicest children we knew were at Watford GS. If we were still there, we'd certainly be considering it for DS.

sittinginthesun Wed 18-Sep-13 16:14:52

Interestingly, DH was chatting to someone who now lives abroad who mentioned that he went to Watford back in the 1980's. The first thing he said was that there was a strong culture of "gangs". He was wondering whether it had changed.

I haven't heard of anything recent, though, so maybe it's a historic thing?
We're considering the school for DS, so I'm asking around locally too.

StiffyByng Thu 19-Sep-13 15:10:08

I was at WGGS in the 80s-90s and certainly never saw or heard about any 'gang' behaviour at WBGS! There was some bullying that I imagine would get heavily sat on now, and I really can't say what it's like now, but definitely not a history of gangs.

DalmationDots Thu 19-Sep-13 23:03:59

DD has a friend at uni who went to this school. You would think he went to a boys public school. He is terribly well mannered, friendly, down-to-earth and bright.
No idea if he is a reflection of all boys, PP probably is right that there are a small group involved and others not. And that the school will have dealt with it.

TBH at my DS' independent sought after academic boys school there was the occasional fight and some talk a bit 'gangsta' (but know to turn it off for interviews and talk intelligently!)

Sounds from PP that it is pretty tame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now