School refusing to tell DS his GCSE Results

(64 Posts)
LocalSchoolMum Sat 24-Aug-13 07:10:30

My DS took 2 GCSEs this summer in Year 10: Maths and Biology. I think that the school put most off Year 10 in for the Maths GCSE, going back on an earlier promise to only make them take it when they were ready to get the best mark they could get.

When we went to ask for his results on Friday, they said that they intended to give them out on the 1st day of next term - 9th September. Does anyone know whether other schools do this?

I thought it was pretty barbaric.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Tue 27-Aug-13 09:12:17

Yes, the postal system would mean the results getting there the day after. Personal collection on the day they are released is quicker and means you can talk to staff if things have not gone to plan

englishteacher78 Tue 27-Aug-13 09:04:24

The students tend to like the results collection day. Even though they tend to know their grades in A level but still turn up to see everyone and get support etc.
A letter goes out to students before study leave explaining the procedure and asking them if they'll want the results posted or collected by someone else. If so, it's agreed in advance.
Particularly with A levels the postal system could result in missing university places through clearing. Of course, the way in which people apply to university before their results is a whole other question.

2rebecca Tue 27-Aug-13 08:16:44

Do you not get them posted any more? My kids are in the Scottish system and get texted or emailed their results with a copy arriving in the post the same day. When i did my o levels in the 80s i got posted the results.
Seems odd some schools insist on a trip up to the school to collect them. Does it vary with exam boards in England? It all sounds very archaic.

Ponders Mon 26-Aug-13 23:39:18

when I collected DS2's GCSEs in his absence, on GCSE results day, the place was swarming with actual teachers, who were doing the handing out of the results sheets

exam office deal with the admin but it seems to be teachers who talk to the students on the day (because they have a better idea than exam office people of what the consequences of unexpected results may be?)

WorrySighWorrySigh Mon 26-Aug-13 13:29:49

Why does it need to be a teacher? IME results are handed out by the examinations office team. For them I would expect being in school once results come out isnt voluntary but is part of their normal service.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 26-Aug-13 13:16:24

Yes. But we are not 'required to be available for work' at any other time except those within the term times specified by the county/school.

So results day is entirely voluntary

englishteacher78 Mon 26-Aug-13 13:15:45

It is not a required part of a teacher's duties to come in on results day. It is up to the individual teacher. I have always gone in so I am there for my students.
The holidays are not part of our directed time so the head does not tell us what to do in our holiday time.

cumfy Mon 26-Aug-13 13:12:39

Many of us give up our time to come in on results day

Surely it will be covered by Terms and Conditions of your contract ?:

Teachers are also required to be available “to perform such duties at such times and such places as may be specified by the head teacher” … for 1265 hours in any year, “those hours to be allocated reasonably throughout those days in the year on which the teacher is required to be available for work.”

englishteacher78 Mon 26-Aug-13 03:05:06

Yes, miscommunication from school but possible from DP as well. Schools do not release exam data to just anyone. To give results to someone other than the candidate, it must be pre-agreed in writing/email and that person must bring ID. I think there must also have been some misunderstanding.
As I said up thread I would be angry with someone who agreed to pick up these important results on the day and then didn't.

WorrySighWorrySigh Sun 25-Aug-13 23:20:42

It doesnt really matter when the results are released so long as they are released when they are promised. It is extremely unfair and unprofessional to mess students around like this.

FannyMcNally Sun 25-Aug-13 23:13:22

Why does a year 10 student need their results in the middle of August? They've waited for months so another 2 weeks won't make any difference. The other years have decisions to make before term starts.

happygardening Sun 25-Aug-13 23:12:50

This picking up results thing drives me mad. DS1 yr 11 (state comp) had to go and get his we've moved apparently they cant be emailed or accessed electronically for a reason completely beyond me. DS2 independent boarding yr 10 logged onto school system at 8 am and there they were no teachers required to come in on their precious holiday. DS1's state school won't even tell me the results it's "confidential information" but apparently it's not confidential in the independent sector I could log onto the same system as DS2 st 8 30am and see his results.
IME a yr 10 child is as anxious to know his results as a yr 11 child after all they've put the same effort in why should they be expected to wait.

WorrySighWorrySigh Sun 25-Aug-13 22:55:50

There was obviously somebody in the school. How hard is it to look through a box of brown envelopes, check the name and hand the right one over?

It wasnt like the results had to be hand illuminated on vellum!

WorrySighWorrySigh Sun 25-Aug-13 22:50:54

It wasnt possible for anyone to collect results on Thursday
DP asked to collect results on Friday
DP was told 'okay to collect results on Friday'
DP went in to collect results on Friday and was told 'no, wait until start of term'

This is poor communication by the school. The school owes OP's DS an apology for poor communication.

For external exams the school is acting as an exam centre. It isnt 'their' information. It is the information of the examining body and the OP's DS. They should not be withholding information when they had agreed to pass it on.

SPBisResisting Sun 25-Aug-13 07:12:51

Unless of course you ring up and change your hairdressing appointment to friday a d get told thishhas been done for you.

goingmadinthecountry Sun 25-Aug-13 00:09:36

If your hairdressing appointment is on Thursday that's when you go in. Don 't expect to get your hair cut on Friday. How much does your son's education matter? Teachers aren't required to come into school in the holidays at all. Tough - you messed up.

Lomaamina Sat 24-Aug-13 14:31:10

I sympathise OP. My DS Year 10 was able to see his lone GCSE result on the online system. Maybe you should push for this to be available in time for next year?

NoComet Sat 24-Aug-13 14:24:00

DD put in a huge amount of work for her science GCSE, I'm glad that school respected that and put Y10 marks up on the e-portal, as I'm sure they have the Y11-13's.

For her it's vital to her future to get good science marks and she both wanted to know and know in private!

ravenAK Sat 24-Aug-13 13:14:05

Also, lots of schools make a big hoohah of giving out year 10 results all together. It focuses the minds of the less motivated - which is intended to engender a more serious approach to year 11 study.

Yes, a minor cock up was made by whoever told OP's dh that he could collect the result on Friday, but 'cruel teachers' is somewhat hyperbolic!

& yes, we are on holiday & don't get paid to go in & give out results.

glaurung Sat 24-Aug-13 13:10:32

dd's school didn't give the yr 10s their module results (they didn't do any full GCSEs) until they went back. Then the subject teachers wanted to give the results out in class so they had to wait until the right lesson came up in the timetable (which took one over the next weekend) before getting them. Annoying (especially when wondering if resits might be required), but not the end of the world. They've waited 2 months already so another couple of weeks doesn't make that much difference.

noblegiraffe Sat 24-Aug-13 12:51:32

Yes, if we were paid for the holidays we could be told to come in on results day, instead of just asking for volunteers! It's not directed time.

Chopchopbusybusy Sat 24-Aug-13 12:48:19

Barbaric? Extraordinarily cruel? Disrespectful? Massive overreaction. Year 10 results can wait.

englishteacher78 Sat 24-Aug-13 12:45:35

Indeed we're not. We're paid for what we work but it is spread over the full 12 months.

LoopyLoopyLoopy Sat 24-Aug-13 12:40:56

nenny

LoopyLoopyLoopy Sat 24-Aug-13 12:40:30

No, nanny, teachers are not paid for the holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now