Is it usual to need a grade A GCSE to do A level maths now?

(436 Posts)
Jella2u Fri 23-Aug-13 16:59:37

Disappointment here too. Son has got 10 GCSE's grade A-C. So what's the prob? You have no prob! Yes I do!!!
He got a grade B, yes that's right, B for Bertie for Maths. The school (which is a comprehensive turned Academy ) will let him do his Physics, Chemistry and Biology, but not Maths for which they say a Grade A is required unless you've clocked up a total of 224 points between the last 2 module papers. Unfortunately his tally was 205. Husband went up suited and booted to the school this morning to plead son's case. Phoned us this afternoon - no go. Have said this to all who got a B. So nothing personal there.
Have tried to contact other schools this afternoon. Needless to say all are shut. Local Authority very helpful and recommended emailing. Are schools running a clearing system that I don't know about? Do tell.
School did offer Statistics as a replacement this morning, but by this afternoon that was off the menu as no-one wants to do it. There are 7 pupils in this maths grade B situation who want to do A level Maths. Strangely the school says Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Maths are the most difficult subjects. So they might be for most people, but what if your child is the one that has had to struggle with French, Music, English Language and bid their time to do the supposed hard four?
We feel he needs A level maths to support science subjects.
Unfortunately, I said we would be back with an answer as to taking up a place with some sort of substitute for Maths before term starts. Every chance if I can't get something sorted fast he will be a well educated NEET!!!
All ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

17leftfeet Sat 30-Nov-13 12:40:33

Pretty sure you have to pay for advertising?

jessabell Tue 02-Sep-14 22:24:20

Son was able to get an A at Gcse after teacher taught a small group the information needed answer the questions. He now just starting his A level maths. Aware of how hard it is. His sister tried and failed she straight A Gcse . She said she wasn't that interested in it (didn't put the time in). He wants to do physics a level its recommended to do maths.

Jcstev Tue 30-Aug-16 22:35:02

So, how did it all work out?

Coconutty Wed 31-Aug-16 09:32:13

I remember this thread, would love an update. I really hope he got his A level.

baringan Wed 31-Aug-16 17:35:31

Damn. Just read the first few pages not realising it was old. Really want to know what happened now.

user1471597558 Thu 01-Sep-16 23:05:28

I'd like to comment on what has been said previously about the jump from GCSE to A Level. My college allowed B students to take the A Level Maths but only let A* do further maths. When I took A Level maths (5 years ago), a lot of the work in the first term was similar to GCSE level, but the work quickly got harder. A lot of students that hadn't been taught the harder (last few questions on exam paper) material found it more difficult from the start.

I'd also like to point out that the other three sciences together could be a stressful workload alone. I did four 'Sciences': maths, chemistry, biology and geography, and one 'humanity', critical thinking. Even being mathematically minded, I found that I had to put a large effort into chemistry (hours outside of class time), and found the essay question at the back of the biology paper difficult. Physics is much more mathematically orientated and harder work than Geography.
(I have only read the first 7 pages so not sure if this has been said already.)

user1471597558 Thu 01-Sep-16 23:08:18

Oops, just looked at the date. Thought this was now.

dingit Fri 02-Sep-16 17:15:50

Haystack.

My Dd did maths GCSE early ( year 9) and did additional in year 10 and got a U. She retook it in year 11 and got a B. Tell her not to be disheartened.

fastdaytears Fri 02-Sep-16 18:16:58

We need an update! The OP's son might be a year into his MEng now

RunningLulu Sun 04-Sep-16 04:11:26

DD got onto A Level maths with a B at the sixth form of her school, but it was exceptional as she took her GCSE at 13 and is now 14. So I think a lower grade was more accepted. He could always take the A Level privately if he really wants to do it - lots of community colleges have evening classes, and it would show initiative when applying to uni.

errorofjudgement Sun 04-Sep-16 07:44:28

I remember reading this thread 3 years ago when it was current. Like others, I would love to know how this worked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now