Advice on good schools in Cambridge area

(8 Posts)
OkayKay Mon 19-Aug-13 13:41:43

Hi there, we are moving to the Cambridge area in summer 2014, with my husband's job (at Addenbrooke's hospital site), and I'm trying to find a suitable school for my 2 children (boy who will be 13, girl who will be 11).

They are both at private school, neither of them are particularly academic, but probably around average. I had heard that the Friend's School in Saffron Walden is a good, nurturing school which brings out the best in its pupils and we are going to see this once the new term begins in September, but just wondered if anyone could recommend anywhere else as an alternative? We don't really know the area at all as yet, but will look for a house based on whichever school we go with. Thanks for your help!

nursingdreams Mon 19-Aug-13 13:50:37

One of my friends kids goes to sancton wood in Cambridge sounds like quite a nurturing environment very small class sizes of about 15. My cousin went to St Faiths and she felt that it was a wonderful environment and recommends it to everyone! I've also heard good things about the Kings school in Ely but that might be more academic than the others

Lilymaid Mon 19-Aug-13 13:59:32

What about the Leys? It has entry at 11 and 13. Pupils can either go as day pupils, extended day pupils (think this is until around 7pm) or boarders. Lots of facilities and activities and a mix of abilities from average to very clever. Exam results pretty good.

Biscuitsneeded Thu 22-Aug-13 14:18:38

You could also look at the Cambridge International School, which is non-selective I think. And don't dismiss the state schools! Sawston Village College (which is very commutable for Addenbrookes) is a very good school...

Tingalingle Thu 22-Aug-13 14:28:52

Sawston is fab for musical or dramatic kids. Might be a bit of a shock to the system after private school though, as both school and pupils are a mixed bag of v posh to v scruffy.

St Faiths only goes up to age 13, I think.

Friends of ours speak highly of the Friends School for their lovely, not-madly-academic son. I can vouch for the way he flourished in their care, but also know they moved their very able younger child elsewhere for a more academic environment.

alimac87 Thu 22-Aug-13 19:54:44

I would add Comberton Village College (state school) to that, also very good.

Tingalingle Thu 22-Aug-13 21:32:11

Agree that Comberton is indeed a very good school (bizarrely, I have one at each of SVC and CVC). It's excellent for the top end academically, and for most special needs, especially autism-related, but sometimes the academically middling can get a bit lost.

mrsmobbs Mon 26-Aug-13 17:14:22

I know it may seem a bit of a distance, but my ds goes to bedford modern, an amazing school in top 100, lots of his peers coach in from the Cambridge area and have no problem with the journey although i suppose it will depend on what part of Cambridge, but well worth a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now