Sixth Forms (Private or state)

(53 Posts)
lottie4576 Mon 19-Aug-13 09:58:30

I'm looking to move my DD at sixth form, but I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what ones to look around as there are so many out there. We would like to have good Music and Sport (hockey especially) but we also want it to be academic (eg. in the top 100 schools in exam results). One of the key reasons for moving is we feel she is seen as a statistic and is not getting the notice she deserves for the amount she does for the school.

If anyone has any ideas of schools that might suit her please comment as we are nearing the Open day period, thanks

Waferthinmint Thu 22-Aug-13 09:31:26

http://www.hurtwoodhouse.com/

Independent sixthform college. Very musical, creative and gets good results too. Very expensive though!

Inclusionist Thu 22-Aug-13 09:36:58

Sir William Perkins' School. I have to say this is NOT his unbiased opinion!! ;-) Also I see you are against single sex so it wouldn't suit anyway.

curlew Thu 22-Aug-13 09:41:59

I honestly wouldn't move for 6th form unless you really have to/she really wants to (you haven't said how she feels about it).

It's full on from the start in the 6th theses days, and finding your feet with a whole lot of people already established in a school can be very difficult. Moving to a college is different-everyone's new at the same time.

What sort of recognition were you expecting for her?

Helpyourself Thu 22-Aug-13 10:46:09

^^ what Curlew said.
She'll be entering a new environment socially at the same time as having to hit the ground running academically. And if she's boarding you won't be able to support her. You'd have to have a really good reason to move her.

lottie4576 Thu 22-Aug-13 17:33:21

Our DD says that she would quite like a change for sixth form. That doesn't mean that we are definitely going to move her and it doesn't mean that she definitely wants to move but we are looking around as the situation could change over the next year! If anyone has any ideas post them because we would rather have loads of schools to look into rather than just a few as we do want the best for her! Thanks a lot smile

curlew Thu 22-Aug-13 17:57:59

I do think- sorry- that once they get to 6th form it shouldn't be a case of you moving her- it should actually be entirely her decision.

mummytime Thu 22-Aug-13 18:07:22

Really good sixth form colleges offer good sport and music eg. Peter Symond's or Godalming or Alton.

lottie4576 Mon 26-Aug-13 13:28:31

Thanks all for your posts! We are refining our search to know more than 1 hour and a half from the heart of sussex as otherwise logistically it will be a nightmare getting her back if she chooses to board at weekends! Although she wants to move we are still quite sceptical of the fact that she would have to find new friends but we are willing to look around for her sake! smile

derektheladyhamster Mon 26-Aug-13 17:36:54

Not to everyones taste I know, but have you considered Christ's Hospital in Horsham? It has the music and sport as well as generous burseries. Quite a large intake at 6th form.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 26-Aug-13 17:44:42

Brighton College? Christ's Hospital?

lottie4576 Mon 26-Aug-13 20:27:55

We went round christs hospital and she plays a lot of hockey there but wasn't really what we wanted! Im worried that BC might be just trying to get results out of kids now a days even though it has got the sport and music (possibly not the hockey though!) is there any school similar to BC that anyone knows of that gets excellent results but is less of a hothouse, pressure is fine but I dont agree with pilling it on pupils!) but also has better hockey? Im not really sire whether this exists tbh!!!

MABS Sat 31-Aug-13 11:02:21

Hurst is great smile

DalmationDots Sat 31-Aug-13 13:28:42

Westminster if she is super academic
Wellington, I know you've mentioned it but if you could get a bursary then it would be a great option
Brighton College
Hurstpeirpoint, DD is friends at uni with a boy from there who seems very well rounded and academic too
Charterhouse, wouldn't actually reccommend it due to personal preference and reports of girls being badly treated at first- she needs to be feisty! But it could be right for your DD. Offer big scholarships.
Stowe?

lottie4576 Sat 31-Aug-13 16:14:19

DalmationDots thanks for your post really helpful! Westminster probably isnt for her due to the lack of sport. We are going to look at Hurst so any views/info on it would be great! I forgot about charterhouse having a coed sixth form so I will look at that to! If anyone has any views on the schools above or has any other suggestions I would be really interested thanks!!! grin

Clavinova Sat 31-Aug-13 16:38:07

Reigate Grammar School? Not quite as exclusive as some of the other schools mentioned but they are very hot on academics, music and hockey! It's an independent day school starting at age 11 with a coach service from Crawley and Horsham.

MABS Sat 31-Aug-13 16:55:44

what do you want to know about Hurst? dd just finished there after 8 years, off to uni. ds in year 7 .

lottie4576 Sat 31-Aug-13 22:25:31

MABS is it a good school academically? As I've heard mixed views on this. I have also heard that the quite few pupils are very sociable wink

MABS Sun 01-Sep-13 11:22:50

great school academically, but not as selective at Brighton College I have to say, lots of friends kids there too. Hurst is more 'rounded' in my opinion. yep there are lots of parties coz they all hit 18 in sixth form, but no more than Brighton college, Lancing and Ardingly, really the kids from these schools are mix together constantly I have found, very close friendships so all in same social group for parties.

DD loved the sixth form, and boarded most of upper sixth as most of them do. Housemistress is totally amazing , just brilliant.

lottie4576 Mon 02-Sep-13 16:56:39

MABS thanks, just out of interest why do you think Hurst is more rounded?

lottie4576 Mon 02-Sep-13 16:57:25

I would be interested to know of some schools in Surrey that are bery good

beachyhead Mon 02-Sep-13 17:10:33

Godalming College has already been mentioned, as well as Peter Symonds. Both state, but academic, mixed and pretty good catchment from high achieving private schools. Easily manageable from mid Sussex and if the reports of universities preferring state school candidates, a point to be considered.

BlackMogul Tue 03-Sep-13 00:34:11

Shame you want a mixed school because Queenswood at Potters Bar, Hertfrdshire would suit you. They have a range of very bright to averagely academic girls but are a top school at hockey. Lots of county players down the years and very hot for tennis too. Bursaries are given but means tested. Scholarships worth nothing, even academic ones. If you don't get a bursary, fees will set you back about £30,000 a year but then every decent boarding school charges that. They also do mosly weekly boarding now unless you are overseas so you need to look for something similar nearer to home. We looked at Wellington for DD2 and were not happy with the spin at open day and pressure to do IB at prospective 6 th form student evening. I do understand what your DD feels about recognition. Schools have favourite children and these are not necessarily the ones who put themselves out for the school, they are often the ones who have little to say and just agree with leadership all the time. It is very annoying and DCs see this as very unfair. It is not a lesson to be learnt when it is teachers being unfair who should know better. Some schools will always pick the obedient non- opinionated ones for leadership positions so the teachers dont have to discuss anything with articulate young people who disagree with them. A leading Headmistress (I forget who) has just said girls should be encouraged to debate and stand up for themselves or they will never be able to cope with alpha males at work! She has a point.

BlackMogul Tue 03-Sep-13 00:37:07

Forgot to mention Hurtwood House, Surrey. You will need deep pockets though. All 6th form. Take a look at their web site. Fees were breathtaking last time I looked!

beachyhead Tue 03-Sep-13 08:04:10

I should also add that godalming and PS sixth form close their books quite early in the autumn term...

MABS Tue 03-Sep-13 08:34:51

dd was offered Brighton and Hurst. she is quite an all rounder, and although she was academic enough to get into Brighton (not easy!), she much preferred all the different activities at Hurst and really it came down to the great 'vibe' in the school, a real buzz. Also very much liked the Head.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now