Absolute disaster at AS - she wants to be a vet, what now?

(20 Posts)
IamFluffy Thu 15-Aug-13 12:12:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tywysogesgymraeg Thu 15-Aug-13 12:14:45

It's incredibly hard to get into vet school. My DDs incredibly bright friend got rejected from all bar one of her choices.

I would let the fuss die down a bit, and then call universities' admissions teams for advice.

Feel for you - my DD didn't get predicted grades at A level, but has just had a uni place confirmed, so all is not lost.

DocMarten Thu 15-Aug-13 12:19:09

Firstly, your DD has done incredibly well on the other subjects, so congratulations to her there.

I am sure she can pull the Chemistry round by retaking it alongside her A2 next summer, and hopefully the school will continue to predict the A.

Not sure what other advice to give except I understand exactly what you/she are going through xx

senua Thu 15-Aug-13 12:23:14

Is there any point applying to Uni this year

Yes. What has she got to lose?

If she doesn't apply, she won't get in.
If she does apply, she still might not get in but she will have gained a lot of know-how of the application process. I suggest that you work on the teachers to get her the best predictions. Keep on with the tutor so she can hit the ground running in Y13, to give teachers the evidence they need to justify grades on the high side.

Millais Thu 15-Aug-13 12:33:54

Are you having a re mark? My ds had an exam go from a C to an A last year- worth it especially if this is an unexpected grade.

IamFluffy Thu 15-Aug-13 13:19:09

Millais Thu 15-Aug-13 13:39:49

Good luck- I hope the As aren't over shadowed - enjoy the celebration

settledandsmug Fri 16-Aug-13 15:03:49

Have some inside knowledge on veterinary admissions process. Work experience is key to the application. She needs to do more than meet the bare minimum ie. she needs to have a variety of experience in different fields and more than the specified minimum number of weeks. If she can wow the admissions tutors, who in our case look at experience first, and has assurances from the school, she may stand a chance.

settledandsmug Fri 16-Aug-13 15:05:19

Oh and just to add it is incredibly common to get rejected on first application and to be sent off to build on work experience over a gap year. So application this year would be worthwhile, but perhaps with an expectation that she is likely to need the gap year.

IamFluffy Fri 16-Aug-13 16:53:51

bountyicecream Fri 16-Aug-13 16:57:51

My top tip would be a day at an abattoir. Yes it is horrible but it immediatly proves to the admissions tutor that you are fully aware of the different aspects of being a vet, that you are not squeamish and that you do not think it is just about cuddling animals

settledandsmug Fri 16-Aug-13 17:09:34

I agree with bounty, but she does seem to be gathering a reasonable cross section of experience. All too often students present a lot of one type of experience, eg equine, and little of anything else. Definitely think it's worth applying this year, but quite often we tell students to come back after another year, and we give guidance on the type of experience we'd like to see. If she can pull the predicted grade up to at least a B then all is not lost - and we're one of the institutions on your list, one of the older, more established ones.

Boosiehs Fri 16-Aug-13 17:23:21

Maybe a tutor for chemistry might help?

IamFluffy Fri 16-Aug-13 18:12:54

bountyicecream Fri 16-Aug-13 19:33:01

I bet it's changed a long time since I did Chemistry A level but I remember it being much more about remembering facts and churning them back out rather than actual understanding. I actually wonder whether that's why they make it a definite entry requirement for vet school as having the kind of brain that remembers loads of useless information is quite useful for being a vet.

I would say it's definitley worth applying this year. Especially if the school would be supportive and say they still think she may get the nec gain. As a PP said - the worst that can happen is she is turned down and then she can reapply next year.

About half my year had re-applied from the previous year once they had their grades

mindgone Sat 17-Aug-13 00:54:46

Iamfluffy, it's definitely 'turnroundable'! She needs to get the exact exam specifications from the internet, and work through them, memorising the necessary fact exactly. And loads of past papers. My DS has upped a C at biology AS to an A* this way, and a B in chemistry to an A* too. It's a ton of bloody hard work though, with sacrifices to be made. Best of luck.

sashh Sat 17-Aug-13 08:36:13

Apply to uni - absolutely.

As well (or possibly instead) of a tutor get a correspondence course for A Level in a year - make sure it is the same board as the school. If you can't get one the same board as the school then she could sit a different board as a private candidate but I don't know how well uni would take two different Chemistry A Levels.

If she doesn't get the grades for Veterinary Science then take a year out and resit Chemistry.

I pass Rodbaston Campus on a regular basis, I have no idea what their courses are like other than they are aimed more at veterinary nurses than vets.

But they have such an array of animals, it was an agricultural college where farmers children learned the stuff they didn't learn at home.

These days as well as sheep and cows they have parrots and monkeys and who knows what else.

You can probably tell I'm projecting, it never occurred to me at school to think of a career with animals.

Anyone who knows more about becoming a vet/admissions for veterinary science how would a year out doing something like a veterinary care certificate and a resit in Chemistry go down?

www.southstaffs.ac.uk/courses/veterinary-care/?courseid=QRF2VN&ml3=VN

settledandsmug Sat 17-Aug-13 11:18:10

I wouldn't bother with a course in veterinary care. If you are serious about becoming a vet then these courses won't help. Using the year to up the chemistry and to build up actual work experience would be far more valuable.

kritur Sat 17-Aug-13 12:10:31

Is it a state school? If so then her AS will be certificated or 'cashed in'. This means the first academic search the uni does will throw up the C grade. This will make it more difficult to get interviews.

In terms of her A level chemistry. Having taught it for 7 years prior to my current career I would say a C at AS is not just exam technique weakness. That is the school making excuses. To get a C there is a chunk of content she doesn't know. It could be a specific area or it could be the most difficult aspects of every area. The tutor needs to get to the bottom of this and not just go through past papers. My hunch from what I see in tutees is that weaknesses have been carried forward from gcse. Modular exams and ridiculously easy specs fail to prepare candidates for science A levels and the quality of language jump is huge.

I suspect veterinary is off the cards for this year but all is not lost with the right help

IamFluffy Sun 18-Aug-13 09:57:53

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now