AS level question- I should know this,but urgent!

(85 Posts)
merlincat Tue 13-Aug-13 19:23:39

If a student gets a B or C at AS is it possible for them to get A at A2? I understood it to be 120 points overall, so is they got B, 50 points, then would they have to get 70 points in the A2 year? Help!!

BlehPukeVomit Tue 13-Aug-13 21:49:49

Yes, lots of students do 'averagely' or even badly at AS and manage to get A's or even A*'s at A2.
It is not always easy and it may require resits but it can be done.

merlincat Tue 13-Aug-13 22:03:09

Thanks! I don't even know what she has yet but am going quietly insane.

mindgone Tue 13-Aug-13 23:41:11

Please don't go insane! My DS has had a bumpy ride in sixth form, but has worked really hard throughout. It just seems to take some longer than others to get their heads round a new way of working. My DS got CCDE in AS mocks, then BCCC in AS, then did 6 modules in Jan (including some resits) and got 5As and a B! Really anxious for Thursday though, but will let you know how he gets on! I was quite distraught, as he was, with last summer's results, as he thought they had gone really well! I would have loved someone to reassure me that all is not lost. Find out what you're dealing with first, then work out what's the best course of action. Best of luck for Thursday smile

bookluva Wed 14-Aug-13 05:29:31

I know someone who had a grade C with AS English Literature and passed at A2 with an A*. With hard work, anything's possible.

englishteacher78 Wed 14-Aug-13 05:51:00

Bookluva one of my students did that too. Hard work - particularly now there's no January resist. But not impossible.

cjtsearle Wed 14-Aug-13 09:54:43

Thanks for the reassurance all. Only slightly anxious now

Sally40000 Wed 14-Aug-13 11:48:26

No January modules in 2014 will make it harder I think, if you want to retake anything it has to happen in summer 2014 together with the next set of modules.

5Foot5 Wed 14-Aug-13 13:17:34

If the AS level results are not that great won't that look bad on UCAS applications? If they get a C or something at AS and then need to get an A at A2 will they even get an offer?

(Another anxious Y12 parent suspecting that DD might be trying to "manage my expectations")

englishteacher78 Wed 14-Aug-13 13:22:34

They wont necessarily get good offers with Cs at AS but you can now 'upgrade' if you do better than expected - my student went from Sheffield to Bristol. Or you can always take a year out and reapply if you get better results. This means you are certain of what you got when you apply AND you can make some much needed money in the year wait. We've seen more and more students do this if their results show a dramatic improvement.

mindgone Wed 14-Aug-13 14:18:10

Their predicted grades depend on their teachers. Mine managed to persuade his teachers to predict him AAB, so could apply to the top unis for his subject.

Gruntfuttocks Wed 14-Aug-13 14:21:39

Another vote for taking a gap year and applying post A levels - it takes away so much of the angst. They can concentrate on working hard in upper sixth and do their exams without anything else hanging over them, and then apply to realistic courses based on their grades.

EvilTwins Wed 14-Aug-13 18:07:42

Simple answer is that it is unlikely. A2s take into account AS grades. If a student gets a C at AS it is very very difficult to pull that up to an A - potentially a B, bit that would mean that they got an A for that year, IYSWIM. Going from a C to an A would be really hard.

The points thing is also a bit misleading. If a student gets an AS B, then it's 50 UCAS points. If they don't continue with that subject, they keep the 50 points. If they continue, then the points come from the A2 grade - so if they end up with a C for A2, it's 80 points, a B would be 100. It's not about keeping the AS points and adding to them.

EvilTwins Wed 14-Aug-13 18:10:44

BTW, students don't have to put AS grades on UCAS applications- as long as they are continuing with that subject to A2, the grade can go as "pending" and then the teacher puts in the predicted grades. Only "banked" AS results have to go on.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 14-Aug-13 18:11:04

Yes. student can even attain A* if they go on to get 90'/, in A2 units. That may vary between subjects.

glaurung Wed 14-Aug-13 18:38:09

virtually all AS results are 'banked' these days though Evil. The schools don't get paid otherwise.

EvilTwins Wed 14-Aug-13 18:40:14

By "banked", I meant AS subjects which are not being continued at A2. Sorry for the misdirection. Students don't need to put AS grades on UCAS forms if they're continuing to A2.

chickydoo Wed 14-Aug-13 18:46:42

Another holding breath until AS results tomorrow.
DD did badly in her mocks. DDEE. Am not hoping for amazing results CCC would be fine. She ultimately needs BCC to do the course she wants, I am crossing things I didn't know I could cross!

Phineyj Wed 14-Aug-13 18:51:52

OP, look up the website for the relevant exam board and subject and search for the grade boundaries document -- you need info on something called 'UMS points' to work out what's possible.

Phineyj Wed 14-Aug-13 18:52:31

I meant to add that it's marks that count not grades - there are Cs and Cs...

glaurung Thu 15-Aug-13 00:32:05

Evil, UCAS states that you must declare "All your qualifications that have been certified by an awarding organisation, as well as any you're currently studying or waiting for results." and if you read the declaration they reerve the right to cancel your application with no refund of fee if they find you've omitted anything.

Nothing there about exempting AS results if you are carrying on to do a full A2. The Student Room advice is to enter both the AS result (with the grade) and also the A2 result as pending.

mindgone Thu 15-Aug-13 11:26:30

Well, my very hard working DS who got BCCC in his AS last year has just got A*A*A!! We are in a happy state of shock! So please take heart anyone whose DC doesn't get what they would like, or what they have worked for!

EvilTwins Thu 15-Aug-13 13:36:53

glaurung I am head of 6th form. I know what I'm talking about.

glaurung Thu 15-Aug-13 13:45:28

interesting that other heads of sixth form advise their students differently then. I'm sure UCAS would be extremely unlikely to cancel applications where the school advice is wrong though, so perhaps it's a good ploy.

EvilTwins Thu 15-Aug-13 13:48:20

UCAS have never cancelled an application from my school. I think it's more to prevent students from falsifying GCSE results.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now