Would your year 7 dd wear these school shoes?

(88 Posts)
Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 21:40:06

http://www.startriteshoes.com/girls-shoes/school-shoes/stone-black-leather

Dd and I are having second thoughts. They fit perfectly & are acceptable to the school but the hearts look little girly.

Dd is a size 1 G and is almost 12.

PareyMortas Sat 10-Aug-13 21:44:28

No.

She wouldn't have worn anything like this for a few years tbh they are a bit 'young'. The in thing at Dd1's school is to wear brogues, that's what she'll have as will dd2 who starts year 7.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 21:46:48

Brogues is what all the other girls dds age and younger in the shoe shop seemed to be having. The only two pairs in the whole shop (start rite lelli lelli, grid etc ) that fitted dad were these plus a similar pair in patent.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 21:48:06

Geox. Seemed to change into grid!

chickensaladagain Sat 10-Aug-13 21:51:36

At the yr7 open evening there were current yr7 wearing similar but the vast majority were in brogues

VivaLeBeaver Sat 10-Aug-13 21:55:25

Not in a million years. They all wear slip on ballerina type shoes.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 10-Aug-13 21:56:09

Meant to say at dd's school anyway.

BillComptonstrousers Sat 10-Aug-13 21:59:31

Not a chance. I would struggle to get my 9yo into these as well. Ballet flats or brogues.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 21:59:50

Ballerina style sent allowed and dd can't wear them anyway as she pronates due to an incredibly high instep

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 22:00:44

My predictive text doesn't like the word arnt

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 22:02:07

I'm wondering whether to the them back to the shop & ask if they can order a pair the same but with no hearts or decoration.

Brogues are not wide or deep enough.

thornrose Sat 10-Aug-13 22:02:38

Creepers are very popular at dd's high school.

Arisbottle Sat 10-Aug-13 22:03:42

No.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 22:08:25

What are creepers?

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 22:10:14

The only saving grace is there were some tiny girls on induction day who must be having similar issues.

Dd knows that wearing supportive shoes @ taking care of her feet is really important so she is prepared to put up with them if she has to - I just feel sorry for her.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 22:17:41

Just found ehAt creepers are. They look too casual as far as I can see (school sent photos of acceptable & non acceptable styles) and don't come in a wide fitting. In fact it looks like they don't start until size 2 as well.

thornrose Sat 10-Aug-13 22:26:30

I think in Year 7 there'll be all kinds of footwear. The vast majority of girls will be worried about their shoes and their bag and fitting in in general. I really wouldn't worry too much.

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Aug-13 22:30:56

Don't start on bags! I still haven't found one yet that is black, not too big and will carry her books. At least she's hot her dance bag sorted (her old dance teacher gave her one)!!

BillComptonstrousers Sat 10-Aug-13 23:19:31

To be honest, the quest for bags and shoes is never ending. I now make all my girls go shopping in the first week of the holidays for uniform, bags, shoes. I can't bear it otherwise.

minesawine Sun 11-Aug-13 09:22:40

No - too 'primary school'. What about Kickers shoes. All the girls at my DS's school wear them and they last the whole year

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 11-Aug-13 09:56:26

I don't think kickers would do. They look too low at the front. And don't come in width fittings. They all look like they gave flowers & hearts on too.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 11-Aug-13 10:01:53

The shop we went to is very well stocked with staff who really know their stuff. It's just dd has awkward feet.

My dd is due to start year 7. I have bought a pair of cheap shoes (not ideal I know). Once she starts school and sees what everyone is wearing we will go shopping again and buy a more suitable pair.
Bag shopping easy apart from the price!! Paul frank bag smile

waikikamookau Sun 11-Aug-13 10:05:57

op what does your dd say?
she probably wont be the only one in such shoes you link to?

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 11-Aug-13 10:07:53

The school have sent pictures of the styles they want. It's just that in dds size they come with hearts & flowers on or are not wide enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now