Latin

(13 Posts)
McFluffy Thu 01-Aug-13 20:28:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

McFluffy Thu 01-Aug-13 20:27:27

Abra1d Thu 01-Aug-13 18:14:17

There were scans of the earlier textbooks on the internet, unofficially uploaded.
There is enough on the Cambridge Latin Course site to be getting on with and sites where you can buy things without using pirated books.

daphnedill Thu 01-Aug-13 17:36:30

The online activities for the Cambridge Latin Course are free. The site has details of buying the books and ecourses.

http://www.cambridgescp.com/Upage.php?p=clc^top^home

My ds started latin as an after-school extension activity in Year 8 and then chose it as a GCSE at the start of Year 9. They have mainly been following the Cambridge Latin Course.

He loves Latin and it has helped enormously with his German.

McFluffy: DS1 will be starting the WJEC GCSE Latin course next year, so if you could PM me the link too, then I'd really appreciate it.

McFluffy Thu 01-Aug-13 17:00:58

Talkinpeace Thu 01-Aug-13 15:50:08

what do the school suggest - as you do not want to use something that clashes with the lessons

Elibean Thu 01-Aug-13 13:35:44

I had a wonderful first Latin book called 'Latin with Laughter'....no idea if its still in print, but worth getting if only to foster enthusiasm!

MerlinFromCamelot Thu 01-Aug-13 13:25:00

Thank you. Will definitely give the website a go and look in to the books as well.

Abra1d Thu 01-Aug-13 12:52:31

THere's a very good Cambridge Latin Course website, with exercises and games, which my children both found useful as a supplement.

I think there's a book called Essential GCSE Latin by John Taylor, but I don't have personal experience of it (I did GCSE Latin in 1989 and DS1 is only just starting CLC book 2).

Not a Latin teacher, but I think it depends on which board. The Cambridge Latin Course does work towards GCSE under one board, I think it's WJEC? But they have a double qualification (language & literature?) so not sure how the CLC books fit in to the syllabus.

MerlinFromCamelot Thu 01-Aug-13 12:39:03

Dd would like to do GCSE Latin, grateful if someone could advise a good study book to use at home. There seem to be very few revision guides available compared to other subjects. I know for French & German the school will be using the AQA exam board, not sure if this is likely to be the same for Latin. The book she uses at school are Camebridge. Unfortunately they did not keep it over the summer hols,

Any Latin teachers out there?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now