Countdown to exam results. Anyone else feeling anxious?

(646 Posts)
jellybrain Tue 30-Jul-13 11:11:40

Waiting for DS1's Gcses results on 22nd of August. He did really well last year but, all the talk of moving grade boundaries has got me worried. Fingers are very tightly crossed for maths as this is the subject he struggles with most.

mumslife Sat 24-Aug-13 20:14:15

Cream teas
I spoke to a russell group uni nottingham
Gentleman said they look at a levels and personal statement and also gcses but no so important but they like you to have four a gcses. Dd has three and an ocr distinction. He didnt seem sure if that would count or not but admitted things are changing all the time and in two years things could be different
phoned university of warwick also russell group to be told the gcses not that important and they didnt require four at a grade
Both were for english based courses confused?

littlemisswise Sat 24-Aug-13 20:27:07

DS1 was accepted to Nottingham to History, mumslife. When we went to open days they said they looked predicted A2s and personal statements. It was never mentioned about the 4As at GCSE, perhaps it might be useful if that was made clear to applicants.

DS2 wants to go there to do Nursing, I think the entry process is different for that though.

mumslife Sat 24-Aug-13 20:36:43

Thanks littlemisewise. History is also something my daughter would be ver interested in doing at unismile
She has just got a place at a local grammar from a mixed comp. She got 4 as if you include the ocr and five Bs
She is going to do for a level eng lit govt and politics history and re
She got a surprising b for her eng lang though an a in her eng lit
Trying to decide if to go for a remark of eng lang though is nine marks awat from the a
Out of interest does your daughter have four As at gcse or higherthanks

littlemisswise Sat 24-Aug-13 21:12:56

DS1 did his GCSEs 2 years ago, he got 2A*s, 7As and 2Bs. He did Alevels this Summer and got AAB. He got the A's in English and History. He was going to go to Loughborough to History and Politics but has decided to have a year out.

History and English A levels are a lot of work. DS1 loves both subjects, he got 100% in History GCSE, and a very high A in both Eng lit and Lang, but at times he found it hard going.

DS2 did his GCSEs this Summer, he got 8As and 2Bs.

creamteas Sat 24-Aug-13 21:23:06

Mumslife Most universities have two levels of entry requirements. General for entry to any the university and course specific.

GCSEs are usually listed in the general requirements, so, for example where I work there is a general requirement of GCSE English and Maths Grade C. This is clearly not enough to get on any of our degrees, but all students need to have this (or equivalent).

Course specific requirements vary from course to course and can be either just A level grades (or other qualifications) or ask for specific subjects.

So for example to study English at my uni you need ABB including A level English. But if you met these requirement but had a D in GCSE Maths you would still not be allowed in.

Because A levels are the most important aspect, staff usually focus on this for open days. Not all the staff at open day events will be admissions staff, so they may not always know the details on the general regulations. But it will be on the website if you look for it.

mumslife Sat 24-Aug-13 22:08:36

So creamteas forgive my ignorance if they have the c in english and maths or above at gcse level and they get the a level requirement including the a lvel requirement in english. Do you then look at the gcses. Forgive my ignorance i know nothing lol
Creamteas
My daughter has just got an A in eng lit and a b in eng lang. Would that b for english lang prevent her from getting on an english course at say a russell group uni provided she met the criteria at a level?
She has four a gcse including an ocr distinction equivalent to an a at gcse
Thanks for your help confused lol

mumslife Sat 24-Aug-13 22:11:38

Thanks littlemisswise sorry ds i meant
Dd loves english and history but i had already guessed a lot of work for a levels
Less,writing stories and poetry all day long me thinkssmile oh and reading fan fiction grrr

mumslife Sat 24-Aug-13 22:14:18

Littlemisswise was b for politics. She is doing that as well!
In myignorance thought it was mainly girls that did the eng lit history and politics

creamteas Sat 24-Aug-13 23:27:59

if they have the c in english and maths or above at gcse level and they get the a level requirement including the a lvel requirement in english. Do you then look at the gcses

Some universities will, but many more prefer to use AS results (plus predictions) as the main way of distinguishing between applicants.

If they are interested in GCSE grades, the extent to which a B in Lang will be relevant will depend on which English degree she is applying for. They are all different, so will be looking for different things!

littlemisswise Sat 24-Aug-13 23:32:13

No, mumslife he did Psychology, he did think about doing Politics but it was just as well he didn't because the Politics teacher left last Summer and they didn't replace him, so he couldn't have carried it through to A2.

circular Sat 24-Aug-13 23:44:32

Thanks Creamtees
So do all applications get looked at properly by admissions, or are any filtered out earlier (by computer or otherwise) for not having enough A*s?

Bunbaker Sun 25-Aug-13 11:15:32

I am feeling pretty pleased with DD's school as their GCSE pass rate has rocketed from 62% last year to 80% this year. They have invested a lot of effort to improve the school in every way and it has given me more confidence in my choice of school.

Horsemad Sun 25-Aug-13 11:30:14

That's a massive jump Bunbaker, no wonder you are pleased!
I noticed that our local failing comp which was in special measures not so long ago, has beaten its local rival this year. They'll be very happy as the school has had a terrible reputation for years.

I haven't seen figures for the grammar my DS attends, they'll be out this week I think.

creamteas Sun 25-Aug-13 12:22:53

Circular They are all read in most institutions, but they are not necessarily read by admissions tutors. Often this is done by admin staff working with a institutional and/or dept protocol as to how to screen potentials against non-potentials.

Where I work, I only read a minority of applications, the ones that don't easily fit into the protocol. So I don't see any applications from school leavers with relevant A levels, but they would ask me to look at an application when the applicant was sitting all science qualifications but applying for a social science.

circular Sun 25-Aug-13 21:46:53

Creamteas So the admin staff could be filtering out potential students with the right A levels, but too few A* at GCSE.

mumslife Sun 25-Aug-13 21:56:08

Thanks creamteas
So kind of impossible to say exactly what requirements you need until we know exactly what course is applied for which at the moment is a bit of an unknown quantitysmile

mumslife Sun 25-Aug-13 21:56:53

Sorry littlemiss was presuming he did politics at a level!

creamteas Sun 25-Aug-13 22:33:21

circular If all RG universities filtered out applications without A* they would go bankrupt! There would not be enough applications left to fill their places. In RL, the majority of students do not routinely have mostly A/A* grades. The vast majority of applicants will have a mixture of As, Bs, and Cs.

Some subjects (like medicine) might receive a majority of applications from students with large numbers of A*s, but with the exception of Oxbridge, pretty much no other institution could recruit just from applications with GCSEs at A/A*

circular Sun 25-Aug-13 22:46:08

Thanks Creamteas. sounds like its still a possibility for DD with 2A*, 4A and 3B for her proper GCSEs.

jabeen100 Tue 31-Dec-13 12:09:41

well i know how you feel...all of those quotes are true, but i can see how they aren't too helpful to get your mind off of it for too long...!

jabeen100 Mon 06-Jan-14 05:55:09

my favorite education page is http://study.result.pk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now