Countdown to exam results. Anyone else feeling anxious?

(646 Posts)
jellybrain Tue 30-Jul-13 11:11:40

Waiting for DS1's Gcses results on 22nd of August. He did really well last year but, all the talk of moving grade boundaries has got me worried. Fingers are very tightly crossed for maths as this is the subject he struggles with most.

Milliways Mon 05-Aug-13 18:00:51

We are waiting for A level results, Uni places awaited etc.

prettydaisies Mon 05-Aug-13 18:08:22

We're waiting for A2 and AS results next week and then GCSE results the following week. DD is actually quite anxious for next week, but DS not bothered!

Hi there

Another one here awaiting A level and GCSE results.

Ds1 is lovely but feel that he's not ever worked hard enough over the last 2 years and if he gets BCC I'll be thrilled, not that he knows what he wants to do hmm apart from go to Camp America next year!

We're expecting ds2 to have done well in his GCSE's but you never want to take anything for granted do you.

I'm starting to feel quite nervous.

frogs Mon 05-Aug-13 18:50:36

Hi Milliways!

dd1 waiting too. It seems like only a couple of years since we were doing a secondary transfer thread for them...

smile

It's tomorrow here and I have two getting results. I feel sick hmm

xylem8 Mon 05-Aug-13 19:06:57

waiting for A2s. Apparently the unis get the results this sunday.
More excited than anxious here!

mrsjay Mon 05-Aug-13 19:26:37

OH Katie it will be fine honestly smile

Milliways Mon 05-Aug-13 22:22:54

<<Waves at Frogs>>

See you here on 15th! smile

minsmum Mon 05-Aug-13 22:32:35

Waiting for A2 on the 15/8. My DD who never shows nerves over anything bit my head off yesterday over a very simple question about her accommodation so I think she is very stressed indeed.

MsAverage Tue 06-Aug-13 00:07:29

I am curious, but no one else in the house cares. DD did modular GCSEs, so we have a pretty clear idea about expected grades.

hugoagogo Tue 06-Aug-13 10:21:57

ds doesn't know hmm when his result is due or whether he collects it or it will come in the post!

The schools website is no help either. <googles>

OrmirianResurgam Tue 06-Aug-13 10:30:38

Anxious? Hmmm......resigned is more accurate hmm

DS1 is likely to have scraped a C in most subjects. I hope he has at least. He only needs 5 A-C grades to get into college which I am fairly confident he will get, but will have to do his GCSE English again if he doesn't get a C. He had already had his maths result last year.

Lifeisontheup Tue 06-Aug-13 10:35:19

Another Ds with ASD here. Not looking forward to AS results day. He has struggled with the difference between GCSE and AS level work. I know he will be disappointed if (as expected) his results are bad and this will lead to him not trying unless I'm very careful.
Doesn't help that older DS is super clever and gets good results without really trying.

DocMarten Wed 07-Aug-13 21:19:52

waiting for A2's and AS's and GCSbloodyE's in our house,

nightmare grin

HepsibarCrinkletoes Wed 07-Aug-13 22:03:49

Hello. Started a thread but lovely circular kindly directed me to here, thank you C.

We're A levels (DD2) and GCSEs (DS) this year. Last year DD1 was playing the waiting game and she has now just finished her first year at Bristol.

DD2 is not really a stress tbh as she's likely to have aced the lot - she got five As at AS level last year, and will be off to Exeter.

DS reckons he's up for As in history, geog and business studies, which are his preferred A levels. He only took core maths and science, so the rest of his subjects will likely be a mix of B and C. He's really struggling with himself tbh as he follows hot on his sisters' heels and thinks because he won't get top marks in all subjects like them that he's a bit crap. He's finding it so hard and nothing I say will make him see otherwise sad.

I'm so proud of them whatever they achieve. They've had a really shit 18 months since their wonderful dad died and amaze me continuously with their resilience and determination.

Ilovegeorgeclooney Wed 07-Aug-13 22:30:53

Hepsi I really sympathise. my DD2 is awaiting her results and everyone is expecting her to do as well as DD1 and DS but her darling dad died and she has found it so difficult. I find it so annoying that people expect a 16 year old to deal with this and A levels without a pause. She has been amazing but give her a break!!!

HepsibarCrinkletoes Wed 07-Aug-13 22:34:59

Aw Ilove, I feel for your DD2, I do. Mine have got there through sheer determination and know just how very proud their Dad would be. Squeezes to you and your DD.

DocMarten Thu 08-Aug-13 07:26:09

Hepsi, and Ilove, so sorry you and your Dc's have had to go through this, and to then try to carry on with all the schoolwork and exams. Their fathers would be enormously proud of them, whatever their results xxx

Mrsrobertduvall Thu 08-Aug-13 08:54:30

Waiting for gcses here.
She got her maths in April ( a miracle) so that particular stress is out of the way.
Dd has severe ocd, and exams are not a good situation, but has been allowed to sit them in a separate room (with all the other loonies, as she cheerfully said) and it wasn't too bad.

Fingers crossed for everyone.

HepsibarCrinkletoes Thu 08-Aug-13 09:12:51

Thank you Doc - children are amazing creatures!

Ilovegeorgeclooney Thu 08-Aug-13 21:13:03

DD2 has A2 results next week but as HOD English I have nearly 400 GCSE results to worry about and after last year's debacle I am petrified, can't sleep and counting the hours. Fortunately DD has an unconditional offer and if she doesn't get 2E's I think I will just give up. She is blissfully unconcerned!

OttilieKnackered Thu 08-Aug-13 21:19:22

Also a nervous teacher. I have about 100 a level results that, teaching-wise, I am solely responsible for. I was pretty confident in May. Started having a few results dreams now. Good luck to all involved.

Ilovegeorgeclooney Thu 08-Aug-13 21:38:00

Thinking DD2 was stressed I said to her today did she want a 'pamper' day next week to help her but all I got was why? Since she was accepted on her portfolio and it is a pre uni course she is unconcerned and I have spent weeks worrying about the stress she isn't under!!!

I of course am spending hours on the AQA and OFQUAL websites looking for clues! I cannot face another year of weeping children who have worked really hard and are treated as a political football.

HepsibarCrinkletoes Thu 08-Aug-13 22:41:36

I'd take being a mother over being a teacher ANY day when it comes to the results days. I am deep in admiration for you all, you do an awesome job.

boschy Fri 09-Aug-13 21:55:40

oh god... I thought we were quite calm here (some decent modular results in the bag; tension over GCSE maths). but DD1 has been having 2 year old type tantrums over the most ridiculous things in the last few days and its doing my head in. there is nothing we can do now; she has her 6th form place secure; but WHY does she have to be so horrid to me and DD2?

oh well, am just necking the wine and thanking all those hardworking and truly fabulous teachers out there. roll on lunchtime on aug 22 when we actually know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now