SQA results support thread

(85 Posts)

Anyone else's DC waiting for results on 6 Aug? I've one doing Advanced Highers (but already has unconditional place) and one doing Highers, who hasn't applied, but may apply through clearing if the results are good enough.

Neither has signed up for email/text results, so they'll be waiting until 3pm for the postie!

2rebecca Thu 08-Aug-13 23:33:10

I've never given financial incentives. By the time they have external exams they should be realising that they are sitting their exams for themselves and their future, not to make me happy.
I have encouraged them to think about future careers and look at exam grades needed for college as I think once kids start having a plan for life then the rest follows. My son's friends are quite academic which helps.
My stepson did badly in his highers. he cruised standard grades so thought he could do no work for highers, failed most, got a couple in 6th year, got into a local college for a degree, got kicked out in his first term for slacking and so worked for a couple of years.
He's now doing a degree in an unrelated subject and doing really well and is motivated. He just needed a few years to mature and decide what he wanted to do. Parental nagging at 17 was a waste of effort.

mrsjay Thu 08-Aug-13 18:52:41

nowt wrong with a weebit of incentive imo

JellicleCat Thu 08-Aug-13 16:50:48

I found bribery worked with standard grades wiggly. blush Much as I don't like paying for results, it worked. We paid dd so much for each A (bright but idle so no point in paying for passes). Would it work for littlewiggle?
obviously should have done the same for advanced highers

And thanks to those reassuring me about passing exams at uni.

mrsjay Thu 08-Aug-13 10:21:19

he will be fine wiggly although the new C O E seems pretty laid back for what i hear of it but im sure he will get into the swing of it when he goes into 4th year, and next year I have the Highers to worry about with dd2 those are one year courses so not sure she will do well,

wigglybeezer Thu 08-Aug-13 10:14:30

Forgot to say well done to all the exam passers ( and their parents).

wigglybeezer Thu 08-Aug-13 10:13:27

I still feel a bit guilty about my one Advanced higher at C in sixth year, although I did do my Art school portfolio, which was a lot of work.

Does anyone ever post on these threads if their child does really badly? I am anticipating disaster next year for DS1, he is in the guinea pig year for the new exams and seems oblivious to the purpose and point of education at the moment. After much angst I am almost at the point of letting him fail as I feel he will only try hard when he feels he is choosing to work for himself.

I am trying not to mind posts on facebook congratulating the clever children of my friends.

After DS1 I have DS2 with Aspergers to worry about!

mrsjay Thu 08-Aug-13 09:56:25

Please will someone tell me that their dc messed up advanced highers but still managed to remember how to work when they got to uni.

as I just said she is doing great her degree is a music production/engineering one though so a lot of practical stuff but she has just passed her second year

mrsjay Thu 08-Aug-13 09:54:22

IT is frustrating Dameron I was raging (inwardly) at dd1 results although she got an A in her advanced higher but failed the rest one was a no mention, It doesn't matter now I suppose she is in herlast year of her degree but at the time it was annoying, she was 18 and probably shouldve left in 5th year

Dameron Thu 08-Aug-13 00:52:39

I'm sure she will. I did! Son did the same and he's going into his 4th year now and doing well. Will graduate next year. Daughter will work I'm sure even though she slacked off this year (see post). I wouldn't panic.

Dameron Thu 08-Aug-13 00:48:33

My daughter did the same. Unconditional so she slacked off. I think she got a bit of a fright though this year although she did manage to pass them. Got an A in her Adv Higher but 3 'C's in the Crash Highers. I should have expected it though - I did exactly the same thing all those years ago. Perhaps not a waste of a year - she was only 16 at the end of 5th Year - but I do feel frustrated.

JellicleCat Wed 07-Aug-13 23:55:41

Yes Edinburgh offers were very late compared to the others.
DD also dossed around in 6th year following 5 unconditional offers. As a result got a C for one advanced higher and no award for the other two. I feel it was a complete waste of a year.
She seems to have taken it on the chin. I'm not sure whether I am angry or sad, but have just tried to be supportive.

Please will someone tell me that their dc messed up advanced highers but still managed to remember how to work when they got to uni.

I think some - St As and Edi - don't send their offers out till March. But most are January.

mrsjay Wed 07-Aug-13 08:37:56

rebecca I think the offers come In january don't they? dd1 got 2 unconditionals before her exams and dossed about 6th year <rolls eyes> she just concentrated on her advanced higher music because that is what her degree is. I wanted her to leave in 5th year but she was having none of it, her 6th year was all about free periods and prom. that sounds really negative I am sure not all 6th years are like that just mine

2rebecca Tue 06-Aug-13 23:13:32

Glad everyone's kids are happy with their results. My son's due to do 3 advanced highers although if he gets an unconditional offer I can see him dossing aound a bit, although suspect the school won't let him do too much cruising. Unfortunately most of the English unis seem to be looking for advanced highers but he's mainly thinking of applying to Scottish ones.

creamteas Tue 06-Aug-13 22:27:40

Well done to all the DC

chocoluvva Tue 06-Aug-13 21:44:20

So it was worth the wait Agent smile

What a day!

Well done everyone, today is the day to be completely biased proud mums.

ithaka Tue 06-Aug-13 17:55:44

Just back from a celebration day out. Our first SQA experience & oldest child surpassed herself. I had planned the celebration day out, regardless of her results, as I knew she had studied. Very happy, well done to all the other students. Exam time is stressful,

Jacaqueen Tue 06-Aug-13 16:24:51

DS got a B for Int 2 maths and English. Mixture of 1 and 2 for a further 5 subjects and a 3 for French.

Not too bad and means he can do the 5 Highers he has selected.

Well done to everyone else.

mrsjay Tue 06-Aug-13 15:58:02

well done to them all been a good wee day smile Higher maths is hard it really is dd1 who was really good at maths struggled but he can go for it then see ,
dd was in foundation general for maths and got the general she is supposed to be doing INt2 in maths in 5th year but she might just keep with the general ,

I hated 6th year dd1 just faffed about she only stayed on to get her advanced higher music and I think she failed the other 2 highers she did

foodtech Tue 06-Aug-13 15:55:46

Aw that's brilliant. I've been up to the school to see my pupils results and am delighted too (even though I just teach them) feel so proud of all my Highers passing. With excellent results too. Happy day today.

Well, think we're the last to know, but he pulled it off - 5As! Take back all I said. Now to persuade him to stay on for sixth year. Congrats to all your DC

chocoluvva Tue 06-Aug-13 12:34:10

Well done mrsjay's DD and Preferthedogtothekids's DS.

Proceed with caution re higher maths though Prefer - there is a particularly large jump between standard grade and higher maths.

Preferthedogtothekids Tue 06-Aug-13 11:47:15

Really please with my Aspergers Ds! he got an A at Int Graph Comm, three 1s and four 2s, including a surprise 2 at maths. He was only in general/foundation maths class and he was the only one selected to have a go at the credit paper even though he hadn't covered some of the topics. He must have done enough! It does mean we have to get in touch with the school and see if we can swap his current plan to do Int 2 maths into a 5th Higher. If he does Photography instead he could have the opportunity to do the Scottish Baccalaureate in 6th year. Exciting stuff and I'm very proud of him.

mrsjay Tue 06-Aug-13 11:26:49

well postie has been

5 credits a general B C and a D she passed her music she was more astounded at that than anything we are really chuffed with the results

the D is Art which she didnt want to take anyway was a stuck on at the end

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now