Single sex schools

(10 Posts)
Yayaty Tue 25-Jun-13 10:53:29

I am writing an academic essay on single sex education in the UK. I am wondering whether you would like to give out your opinions on single sex schools. For example, would you prefer your children in single sex schools;do you think it is a better choice compared to mixed schools in terms of academic results or EQ development; what are your concerns about mixed schools etc.
Many thanks!

BackforGood Tue 25-Jun-13 23:26:42

If it's an academic essay, surely you need published research, not the ramblings of a bunch of strangers on the internet ? hmm

sashh Wed 26-Jun-13 04:28:04

It looks like you have already decided that single sex schools are better than coed.

englishteacher78 Wed 26-Jun-13 06:22:18

I went to a single sex girls school and have spent the past 11 (almost) years teaching in a boys school.
Both situations seem to be good academically. However, I would not send a daughter of mine to a single sex girls school. The experience is too intense emotionally and with hindsight wasn't the right kind of school for me to be in.
Which may of course be the reason I 'ran away' to the boys school common room most lunchtimes in the sixth form wink

happygardening Wed 26-Jun-13 08:02:17

"If it's an academic essay, surely you need published research, not the ramblings of a bunch of strangers on the internet ?"
Or at the very least a properly structured questionnaire?

TheFallenNinja Wed 26-Jun-13 08:06:18

Do your own homework smile

Bonsoir Wed 26-Jun-13 08:07:17

Single sex education is like anything else - an alternative that suits some people and not others. I don't believe that you need to investigate it scientifically to prove or disprove that.

EBee57 Wed 26-Jun-13 09:12:25

Why not have a look at the website for the Royal School in Haslemere - they're expanding to take in boys but will be teaching girls and boys separately in Junior and Senior but together in Sixth Form - they may have stuff that's useful for your essay. www.royal-school.org they call it the diamond model. Good luck

happygardening Wed 26-Jun-13 09:36:43

*it's the diamond model"
Sherbourne boys/girls also follow a similar model.
I dont mind giving my views/experiences on single sex/coed I've got one in each but would rather complete a well constructed questionnaire.

crazymum53 Wed 26-Jun-13 09:58:10

I wouldn't mind completing a questionnaire too OP. I chose a co-ed school for my dd even though I attended an all-girls school and db all boys! My old school is now co-ed!
There was some very useful information on the Good Schools Guide comparing different types of schools to help parents make this choice.
However I do also need to point out that parents may not really have a great deal of choice.
In my LEA there is only one state single sex girls (more than 10 possible co-ed) and that school only takes 120 pupils a year. There is also one single sex girls school 10 mile away in neighbouring LEA. Whereas there are 3 all girls independent (fee paying) schools. So for my LEA exam results for girls schools may look better but this could be due to other factors.
There are no state single sex boys schools in my LEA and only one boys independent school.
In the neighbouring LEA one former girls schools and one all boys school are now both co-ed so conversion to co-ed schools is a growing trend,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now