Do you have to provide birth certificate when you apply for secondary?

(18 Posts)
blissfullytired Sat 22-Jun-13 23:14:08

This is a bit complicated so apologies if this does not make sense!

Dd was born [example name] Victoria Jones. (fathers name)

When we split I reverted to maiden name and ex allowed me to add mine as a double barrell unofficially so she became Victoria Smith Jones.
Her NHS medical card says this, doctors is this etc.

Anyway ex has not been in contact for years, been a bit of a twat and dd gradually dropped the Jones part of her own wishes again unofficially and became known at school only as Victoria Smith (my name).

When she transfered to a state junior school she transfered officially as Victoria Smith Jones but was given a form which asked for legal name and prefered name and she put Victoria Smith as her prefered name.

I now have to apply this year for secondary
Her birth cert and passport says Victoria Jones
All other stuff is Victoria Smith Jones
The school register says Victoria Smith! Although I think they have got Smith Jones on main computer.

I have just been looking at the form online from last year and it says name much match legal name on birth certificate, so this is going to cause havoc in October isn't it?!

I am happy to apply for secondary in her legal name but then she is not known as that at primary so if they contact primary asking for information they might not know who they mean!

To make matters worse dd is absoloutely adament she does not want to be known at high school by her fathers name.

What do I do? I am worried I will completely confuse them and end up losing a place or something!

Startail Sat 22-Jun-13 23:27:01

Never been asked for BC

All our forms say name and preferred name like your primary one.

I'd just write name on BC V. Jones, unofficially (on divorce) V. Smith Jones on the top line and V. Smith by preferred name.

Given you use your maiden name I think they'll get the picture.

toolatetobed Sat 22-Jun-13 23:28:26

I don't think we ever had to provide the birth certificate when we applied for secondary. I think the best thing to do would be to phone the admissions authority, explain the situation and see what they say. I'm sure it can't be that uncommon for children to change surname while at primary school. The admissions authority must have encountered other examples.

blissfullytired Sat 22-Jun-13 23:37:00

Thanks, that is what I am guessing, there will be children who have been adopted/families divorced/married.

titchy Sun 23-Jun-13 11:37:47

Bear in mind her GCSE (or whatever they're called by then!) will be in her official name of smith-jones.

sashh Sun 23-Jun-13 11:56:55

Bear in mind her GCSE (or whatever they're called by then!) will be in her official name of smith-jones.

Nope they will be in the name she tells them she wants.

I know a couple of brothers brought up by their mother and step father they always went by first name father's name known as step father's name.

Talkinpeace Sun 23-Jun-13 15:56:15

the switch from primary to secondary is a common time for kids to alter their names
three in DDs year did exactly that : still confuddles me slightly that a kid who I knew for several years with one name now has another

but remember, there is no law about what you call yourself, you can have as many names of whatever derivation as you like, so long as its not for the purposes of crime

hence why I have two passports from two countries with different surnames - absolutely openly and legally
I've also got bank accounts in all the permutations of my name
and have been CRB checked in both my names

TeenAndTween Sun 23-Jun-13 16:18:29

According to DD1's school exam information, sashh , exam certificates have to be in the name matching your birth certificate. So I think they would have to be in the name of Victoria Jones.

OP - for information, when children are adopted they get a new birth certificate with their new name, (also new NHS number) so this issue doesn't apply for them.

bookluva Sun 23-Jun-13 18:42:58

I know of someone who legally changed her name ( didn't get on with father) and her exam certificates had to be issued to her in her new name. Have you thought about legally changing her surname?

bookluva Sun 23-Jun-13 18:43:18

I know of someone who legally changed her name ( didn't get on with father) and her exam certificates had to be issued to her in her new name. Have you thought about legally changing her surname?

PoodleChops Sun 23-Jun-13 20:57:32

We have a pretty similar situation to you. DC's 2 secondary schools asked for BC. School insisted GCSE's had to be in their BC name, even though they were changing their name by Deed Poll in May of GCSE year. Have had immense problems with this, as DC's certificates say one name and their passport and other documents say their new name.
With this in mind I'd highly recommend getting her name changed officially now to avoid the trouble and bureacratic rubbish we've had to endure

You can actually call yourself anything you like as long as there is no intent to defraud. I use a different surname to that on my birth certificate and all my certificates are in that name. but an official change would make life a lot easier as poodlechops says.

titchy Thu 27-Jun-13 13:53:10

She can't changer her dd's surname unless the father also agrees.... so 'official' change of name may not be possible, and a deed poll next to useless as passport office wouldn't accept it.

Once kid is 18 of course she can change her name so her A Level certs could be in her chosen name if she did decide to change officially.

PoodleChops Thu 27-Jun-13 14:18:30

I'm sorry titchy but you don't have to wait until 18 to change your name and we know this for a fact. *You can officially change your name at 16 without the father's permission and the Passport Office DO accept a Deed Poll. DD had no trouble whatsoever at the age of 16, presenting her Deed Poll to the Passport Office as proof of her change of name and then was issued her very fist solo passport.

We have no end of trouble with DD's name on her passport being different to the name on her birth certificate and GCSE certificates, especially with entry to 6th form and then an apprenticeship.

You can absolutely call yourself what you like but be aware that some schools insist on seeing birth certificates and will insist on those GCSE and GCE certificates being in the birth-registered name. It CAN cause problems later on, like it has for DD.

titchy Thu 27-Jun-13 14:26:08

Ah right didn't realise it was 16, under that needs his permission though.

xylem8 Thu 27-Jun-13 16:11:54

1)Apply as Victoria Jones.
2)Put on her form that she prefers to be known as Victoria smith
3) Explain to primary school

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Thu 27-Jun-13 16:17:21

I didn't need a copy of bc for applying to secondary but once I got the place, they wanted a copy of cert for their records. This must be a fairly common issue for them.

Frikadellen Fri 28-Jun-13 19:06:49

We had to send a copy of birth certificate with ds's info for his school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now