Sometimes I think that getting an A* is all that matters....

(57 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 09:36:44

I am starting to feel that's what DS1 (Year 9) thinks. sad had Parents Evening yesterday and he's a bit down now.

Time is a great healer.

<exit. Home of the platitude>

Sparklingbrook Sat 15-Jun-13 17:54:00

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the thread for being great and understanding during my 'post parents evening gloom'. It really helped.

DS1 and I are both back to normal now. He has cheered up considerably which is great.

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 19:48:54

That's reassuring land. I am hoping DS1 will come round to the idea in time. He seems a bit better tonight.

landofsoapandglory Fri 14-Jun-13 19:41:39

Sparkling DS2 was in Set 2 for Maths in Yr 10 and 11, he is still on course for either a high A or an A*. Set 1 did linear maths, so have already done their GCSE, some got A*s or As, some got Bs. Some have retaken three times already to try to get an A.

DS2 is going to get at least an A, unless something goes drastically wrong on Monday when he does the last bit of his exam. At the last parents' evening the maths teacher said he thought they had got DS2 wrong in Yr9 and had put him in the wrong set. But in my mind, I reckon they got it right, that little bit of extra input that he has been given has really helped him, and a few others in the class, and as a result he will get his A, or A*. If he had have been out of his depth who knows what might have happened?

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 19:04:11

Thanks land. He really wants do to well. That's why he has taken this badly I think. He has worked really hard and is being moved down to Set 2 so I can see his point in that respect.

Catherine that is exactly what happened, down to the full classes etc. I am not adverse to a private tutor he had one in Year 2 for Maths. My friend has said her son who is going to Uni in September will do some one-to-one with him over the summer in areas he is struggling with.

1Catherine1 Fri 14-Jun-13 18:54:15

Unfortunately, to me it reads as if your DS may have incorrectly been placed in the top set when you joined the school. It is terrible when this happens - it has happened on occasion at my school when the ideal class was full and the choice is between the higher set or the lower set, usually it is decided that the student will fare better in the higher set. It also happens when the previous school doesn't provide data promptly.

That said, if this is important to your DS and you - it doesn't need to be a permanent move. Last year in July I was contacted by a parent (from a student at another school) after their DD was moved down to set 2. She had been struggling to keep up and her teachers had felt it was the best move. Now she is half way through year 10 and as of next week will be moving back up to top set after a recent test meant she scored better than half of the top set. Now I'm not suggesting you get a private tutor, but I am suggesting that an hour of dedicated time per week can make all the difference.

orangeandemons Fri 14-Jun-13 18:44:54

Yes, and I lived through it. I feel 100 years old sad

landofsoapandglory Fri 14-Jun-13 18:40:47

Sparkling DS1 is just doing his A levels now and he said to me the other day that no-one thinks or asks about GCSEs now. He worked his socks off, got all As and A*s, but says knowing what he knows now he would probably have not stressed as much.

He went for History, English, Law and Psychology at AS level and dropped Law as he went though to A2. He is predicted all A's but is saying he isn't going to Uni!

DS2 is doing his GCSEs now, he is working hard because he needs to get the grades to go through to 6th Form. He will be doing sciences at A level because he wants to be a nurse.

. If they want to do well, IMO they will. Your DS sounds like he does. As he goes through into Yr10 and 11 you might find his friendship group changes a bit and he joins up with youngsters of a similar mindset as him, I know my DSes did.

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 18:39:00

Oh no. That's History? sad

orangeandemons Fri 14-Jun-13 18:34:46

No, he pulled it off in the end, got all his exams.

He's doing History. Tells me all about Thatcher and the miners srtike

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 18:31:41

*though

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 18:31:32

He's at Uni thought orange. smile What's he studying? Apart from League of Legends?

orangeandemons Fri 14-Jun-13 18:29:34

Why wasn't my ds like thisconfused. He only cared about getting top marks in Halo and World of Warcaft.

Now he's at uni he is better but still wants to be top in League of Legends <sigh>

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 18:25:26

That sounds like DS1's mates clam. Sounds like he did really well though you must have been chuffed.

Once A levels are done is anyone interested in what grades they got at GCSE?

clam Fri 14-Jun-13 18:17:15

With ds and GCSEs last year, there seemed to be a definite feel amongst his swotty mates that only A* counted - a bit like Olympic golds. He did really well, 9As and 2A*s (plus a couple of Bs) but had the hump for a few days as all his mates were only comparing how many A*s they'd got.
But of course, once Year 12 got going, they realised that it's the road ahead with A2s and A levels that really count.

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 18:00:00

Thanks monikar. smile So the Science/Humanities decision is made at least.

monikar Fri 14-Jun-13 17:51:59

Yes, of course. She is doing Maths and 3 sciences at A level. She's not sure what she wants to do - she will decide further when she gets her AS results.

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 17:17:06

Thanks monikar. I am feeling a bit less mithered about it all now. DS1 seems ok, but they have all been discussing who got what in the end of term tests and who said what at Parents Evening. hmm

Can I be nosey and ask what your DD is taking at A Level? Has she got future plans?

monikar Fri 14-Jun-13 17:12:59

Sparkling When DD was in years 10 and 11 there seemed to be less sharing of the marks than there had been in lower years, if that is any comfort to you. Perhaps it was because they were doing the 'real' stuff then.

DD is at the end of year 12 now. I agree that you need at least a B in a subject you want to take at A level, not only from the point of view that the school wouldn't let you take it (some schools specify at least a B), but the fact that you need the background and level of understanding in a subject at GCSE in order to be able to take it further, otherwise the jump to A level would be even greater than it already is.

So no, you don't have to have an A* in a subject if you want to do it at A level.

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 13:46:12

Exit DS1 seems very aware of everyone elses's marks which annoys me a bit. sad

That sounds about right orange. it's not an A* or you can't do it then? grin 4 A levels? <faints>

orangeandemons Fri 14-Jun-13 13:44:17

I've experience you need at least a B in any subject you want to do at A level. It is my experience that C grades struggle a bit.

There is some formula my school uses to decide who can do 2, 3 or 4 A levels, which is based on GCSE results but I don't know what it is. Something like an average of 8 b's or above to do 4

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 13:38:03

smile orange. DS has to really put the work in to get his good marks so he may need a bit of cajoling here and there.

How much to the GCSE grades matter when going on to do A Levels? Is a really good mark essential to be able to study that subject?

My DD, Y8, is already getting stressy about her choices. She was of the understanding that if she moved into the bottom set for maths she would not be able to take the higher level paper and could only get a C.

She managed 76% in her end of year exam. We were delighted but she pointed out she still came bottom. Someone has to!

orangeandemons Fri 14-Jun-13 13:30:25

Sparkling, your ds sounds lovely. As a teacher and a mother of a now grown teenage ds, it is my experience that a lot of boys just want to pass, never mind aim foe an A*

If he really wants it, he will be able to do it. The second set go at a slightly slower pace, but can get A* easily.

Now my ds was an A* candidate who happily settled for a B angry. It will all unfold magically during Y10,and it doesn't take over their life. < recalls ds's hours on x box live with no evidence of revision>. It is slightly different now, as all modules have been scrapped, so all the pressure will come at the end of Year 11.

As one who remembers O Levels, which were done in a similar manner, I seem to remember doing not very much until exam revision time wink

Sparklingbrook Fri 14-Jun-13 13:29:49

Mmm, I think I get a bit of that impression come to think of it lljkk, maybe subconciously that has skewed my view. I don't venture onto Education threads very often.

Great tips Monikar, I am making notes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now