HELP! From International IB into Boarding Prep..

(29 Posts)
PreciousC Tue 28-May-13 14:15:43

Hi everyone, anyone.. :-)

Totally new to this but kind of desperate and I have found so much help on MM threads.
My son has been at a pretty small and really lovely International IB school with fantastic pastoral care since Yr 1- Now his dad (and him too) are keen to get him off to a boarding prep school. For a great number of reasons, I am finding this difficult.

Our son is bright, confident, sporty & quite outgoing (though sensitive still). His school is not particularly rigorous academically but caters for all abilities and till now, this has suited us because we consider the pastoral care, friendships, skill sets and values he has gained over the years to be tremendously important.

I see that he needs more & worry as mums do that it is right to give him the best we can and enable him to reach whatever potential he has. I also worry though that a prep school (a system which I admittedly know little of but hubby is a happy byproduct...) may be really prescriptive and hence somewhat restrictive, especially in comparison to the IB.

My son is so keen to go boarding though (yes, I'm questioning my mothering too Lol!!) and likes Port Regis where he has cousins. I dont want him to go but have no reason to do anything other than continue to support and encourage him as he needs therefore, trying to be open-minded about all this & try to seek the best fit for him and us as a family... So stressful!

I'd be deeply grateful to anyone who has patiently read all my jabber so far for recommendations for a school/s that is not crazy far from London, is broad and progressive in its approach to learning, embraces diversity & balance yet is strong on values(such as tolerance, respect)... a great environment that not only encourages but values their individuality...

Basically, a wishlist asking for very little huh?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Gunznroses Wed 05-Jun-13 13:09:03

Haileybury College in Hertfordshire do IB as well.

BCBG Wed 05-Jun-13 13:17:03

Ardingly College, Sussex, offers IB, and has a prep school attached.

PreciousC Thu 06-Jun-13 22:28:54

Thanks for all the recommendations & advice everyone!
Sorry, I have been offline for the last few days. It's really lovely to find so many willing to spare time to give such helpful responses (so very helpful...)

@Munashe, your post on IB vs the others is worth a thread by itself! I am admittedly pro-IB due to my own background, educational experiences and the like- but it certainly is, like everything really I guess; not for everyone. At the primary level however, in good hands, like you- I'd choose it's values and attitudes anytime, for any child. Your description of sevenoaks has me laughing (would love to hear detail on the car park to start with! :-), will definitely be taking your advice to go look see thank you.. May I ask where you did end up then? Cottesmore? Reviews do seem very, very good.

I'm yet to come across a Windlesham naysayer interestingly- surely, it can't be the perfect school, can it? Cannot wait to see for ourselves in about a week- seeing Edge Grove tomorrow and keeping my mind as open as you have all ever so graciously role modelled here- fingers crossed!

At the end of the day, our hope is that our kids are able to be happy and confident wherever so they can do the best they can- for themselves and others. To my way of thinking, having choices to explore is in itself, a great privilege.

Mum0579 Sat 15-Jun-13 21:00:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now