Ds Yr 9 told by French Teacher that he is ready for his GCSE

(7 Posts)
mikkii Thu 23-May-13 19:14:11

I can't speak for French, but I sat GCSE Spanish 7 years ago and I achieved grade A* without a serious amount of work. I'm not naturally gifted at languages, I was only allowed to take CSE French at school because they didn't expect me to pass O'level(I've just given away how old I am!).

treas Thu 23-May-13 19:09:15

Ds is at a state school - just seems not a great deal is required at GCSE

LIZS Thu 23-May-13 18:03:58

ds ' French has made little progress in terms of breadth of vocab and tenses since Year 8. For him the revision is helpful though. If he is at a Prep and doing CE that is probably already C grade level. A couple of ds' peers from Prep school have sat GCSE French in year 10.

treas Thu 23-May-13 17:59:35

He will be starting the GCSE course in Yr 9 when he moves up to his next school - however, I'm just wondering what the GCSE entails if he is already prepared.

He can't possibly be ready on what he's been taught to Yr 8.

JenaiMorris Thu 23-May-13 15:08:42

Is the teacher saying he'll be ready to sit his GCSE French in Y9, or that he'll ready to start the GCSE course in Y9 (so a year early)?

treas Thu 23-May-13 14:02:15

Sorry Ds is actually in Yr8 - just v confused about expectations

treas Thu 23-May-13 14:00:32

Reallyconfused What does that mean?

This occurred after the class were doing verbal question and answer session in French.

I suppose what I'm really asking is what is actually expected of the French GCSE in 3 yrs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now