Wycombe Abbey boarding

(14 Posts)
rktelt Mon 13-May-13 15:07:43

Hi,
We are considering Wycombe Abbey for our daughter for yr7. Does anyone have any personal experience of this school? I'm particularly interested to know how flexible their full boarding is? If DD wanted to come home every weekend is this possible?
Any information would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

bluescissors Mon 13-May-13 19:16:49

I understood that WA was full boarding, meaning they put on activities and have play rehearsals, sports etc over the weekend. They have set exeats. I think the expectation is that you can visit for tea, watch matches etc but generally you stick to the exeats. HTH

NomDeClavier Mon 13-May-13 19:19:45

I know they used to have day and weekly boarders as well as full but I don't know whether that's still the case. Are you local enough for the weekends to be worth it if she does have activities?

rktelt Tue 14-May-13 13:54:13

Thank you for your replies. I suspected that you had to stick to the set exeats. We are close enough to the school for weekend and match visits to be possible.
It is more a concern for me than my daughter!

Honestyisbest Tue 14-May-13 20:12:52

My dd is at WA and is boarding. Thnk goodness we are close because the are lots of opportunities to come home and for us to go and watch her in concerts matches etc. It's a wonderful school, she's loving it.

rktelt Wed 15-May-13 10:04:23

Hi Honestyisbest, It's good to hear that your daughter is enjoying WA and you still get plenty of opportunities to see her. Thank you for the reassurance! Did your daughter get the opportunity to do an overnight visit before taking up her place?

Honestyisbest Thu 16-May-13 21:03:01

No overnight visit, but we went and had another look round before handing in our acceptance. My dd also try occasional flexi nights at prep school to make sure she enjoyed boarding. The school has a rigorous assessment process so i guess they want girls who will enjoy the opportunities at WAS, it would be a bit full on for some. Anyway our dd is v happy and although I miss her I would have loved the opportunity to go to a school like that. Good luck with your decision, is it an imminent decision for you?

Knoxette Wed 13-May-15 13:29:48

how academic IS it to get into Wycombe Abbey? do you have to do lots of tuition?

Millymollymama Wed 13-May-15 15:50:07

It is one of the top academic schools in the country. If your DD is not really bright and needs lots of tutoring, just forget it. The best way is to go to a top feeder prep who will prepare the girls for success.

sleepingdog Wed 13-May-15 19:48:16

WA is a great school ..... for the right girl! It is full on with lots of opportunities and activities. Girls there are types that push themselves and they will achieve. The school will select girls they think will thrive in that atmosphere. Even if you get an offer after the assessment day, several still don't make it beyond the wait list after 11+ CE (as with all schools they over offer). Have a plan B!

If you live close by then it will be easy to visit and go out for lunch, tea, watch a match etc. But the school very much emphasises that it is a full boarding school and lays on weekend activities etc.

Slummiemummie Wed 13-May-15 22:06:37

I agree with MMM and S Dog. My DD didn't go to a feeder prep though, so I prepared her for CE myself. I wouldn't heavily tutor, you need to be naturally bright and motivated to enjoy WAS. The girls work hard at everything they do, my DD loves it, but not all girls would. Exeats are not a problem. There are no weekly boarders, all full apart from a few day girls, around five per year on average. But for full boarders the school is very clear on exeats and incredibly flexible. Places were especially sought after this year I believe. Good luck!

Miele72 Thu 14-May-15 13:05:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheWordFactory Thu 14-May-15 13:11:56

DD's school sometimes plays sports against WA and they do lovely match teas grin...which I suspect won't sway one way or the other...

MrsCornish Sat 16-May-15 00:14:30

i remember the match teas being brilliant, Malory towers affairs, back in the 1980s. highlight of my school career, the two or three times I played against them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now