Join in here if your PFB is off to secondary school in September or if you have any advice for thew newbies

(331 Posts)
ChippyMinton Sun 12-May-13 10:10:23

DS is obviously taking it all in his stride and I am quietly fretting investigating the practicalities of high school life. Anyone want to join me?

RS - "slog lord about philosophy these days" confused grin

DS seems to still be enjoying school, he lit his first Bunsen Burner with no mishaps. grin

And he liked the French teacher!

DS did a hash job on his English homework, he only remembered it was due today when he consulted his planner at 8am!
To his credit, he did get it finished to a reasonable standard, although he will still get in trouble as he has gone in without his plannerblush. DD chased after him with it but he was too far ahead. Hopefully they'll cut him some slack as it's the first week.

Progress reports?

DS1 is happy just now, no detentions! (yet)

He loves French, Science (despite a shouty teacher), Maths (they have finally set this this week),and Art -never showed any interest in Primary! And is warming to Geography

English is OK, but History is boring! < not my son>

Music is still on the fence, DT is OK as is ICT, and he is a bit confused about RE!

He has managed the school bus, public transport and after school clubs well (signed up for a few) -but his school dinner choices have been interesting

OldBeanbagz Mon 23-Sep-13 09:24:12

DD is enjoying herself at big school. She loves Chemistry and is desperate to dissect something in Biology despite being a vegetarian!

Her previous two least favourite subjects (English & Games) are much more fun in high school so no more moaning on those days.

She was most impressed that they had prawn crackers at lunch one day, has tried lots of new puddings and generally loves the choice of food available.

This morning we discovered she'd forgotten to bring her school shoes home on Friday so i had to send her in a pair of mine. Lucky we're only a size difference!

We have a parents meeting with DS1 Form Tutor on the 9th October, we got the slip yesterday.

He still seems happy, but it is very full on academically - he has had a History assessment last week, and got it back today with a level on it, and also has a Science assessment next week based on the last few weeks work. He says Maths is more interesting now it his been set.

The only concern I have is that English has been a bit of a mish-mash teacher wise, but the school are advertising for 2 English teachers so I think they are aware of the issue and working to resolve it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now