Join in here if your PFB is off to secondary school in September or if you have any advice for thew newbies

(331 Posts)
ChippyMinton Sun 12-May-13 10:10:23

DS is obviously taking it all in his stride and I am quietly fretting investigating the practicalities of high school life. Anyone want to join me?

spababe Sun 04-Aug-13 19:33:05

I don't think anyone has said this but apologies if it is a repeat - go to Lakeland or Poundland and buy about 6-8 little tubs with a lid and a large lidded tub. Label all the tubs and lids with a Sharpie pen. This is for food tech where they have to bring in 100g flour, 100g butter etc

Takingthemickey Mon 05-Aug-13 16:50:15

Ok for those whose kids travel by tube/train - is it better to buy monthly or an annual pass. Can't work out which is better in terms of savings (in view of all the holidays) and also the hassle of replacing lost tickets. Thanks

aristocat Tue 06-Aug-13 14:54:13

My DS is also off to Secondary in Sept. We have his uniform, it just needs washing and labelling.
I am a non-ironer so not impressed that I will be starting to iron school shirts sad at our Primary DCs wore polos ....

We have not had a stationary list but DS did get some homework on one of his induction days.
They are to read a book suitable for age 12y and do 6 activities from a choice of 15. They include choosing a new title and why, make a list of 20 questions to ask someone else who has read the book, describe the conflict for the main character and how was it resolved, make models of 3 things which were important in the book.
DS has chosen and read his book, so we have started it (at least)!

ChippyMinton Tue 06-Aug-13 19:55:45

If you have a tumble dryer buy M&S non-iron shirts - DH and 3 DC all wear them. No ironing in this house!

DS has to read War Horse - but he's already read it smile.

We are going today to get school shoes, football boots (the ones he already has are not suitable according to school), and trainers for indoor games with non marking soles.

We are also getting school shoes for my other two, so it's going to be an expensive day.

He still needs a rucksack too.

spababe Fri 09-Aug-13 11:48:46

£169 in Sports Direct - 2 sons. As I was paying, eldest DS remarked 'and we only have PE twice a week' confused

The only thing we still need is a school bag -I think we are going for a rucksack, and want a decent one, but can't pay a fortune for it.

I am NOT adding up what it has all come to.

DS1 has the introductory sports camp for 3 days, during the last week in August.

It's all come round so quickly.

Aw, DS1 is very cuddly at the moment, I think he is more nervous than he is saying.

Still not decided on a school bag!

chicaguapa Wed 14-Aug-13 22:48:15

This thread has been great! I've started planning for this today and can't help but feel I've forgotten something. confused

I've got the uniform, shoes, last year's coat (in case of snow). Need trainers.

DD will use last year's school bag until half term (her birthday) and then she'll have a better idea what she wants.

She got a calculator as a leaving present from primary school. Has a pencil case, protractor and set square set, colouring pencils/ pens. Need writing pens.

Will get the Really Useful box with foolscap suspension files for keeping her books in. Plus A4 wallets for each subject if required for loose items.

Will print out copies of her timetable and put them everywhere; one of the lid of her box, one by her bedroom door, one in the kitchen.

Checked out the bus timetable and registered for mobile tickets so she can buy them via text message. No need for emergency taxi money as DH teaches at the same school.

Can't put money on her canteen account yet as we haven't got the login details. But she'll be taking sandwiches anyway.

Will set up a good folder system on the PC for homework.

Hopefully that's everything for now. I feel like I'm preparing for an apocalypse, there's such a sense of trepidation! DD is fine of course, but that's because she has little understanding of how organised she needs to be and that she has to be ready 30 mins earlier in the morning.

ChippyMinton Thu 15-Aug-13 08:53:29

That's a good list Chica. I've been meaning to look back at all the good advice lower down the thread.

School gave out several lists about uniform, equipment and other random bits and pieces that I nearly missed - a pocket dictionary, a 30cm ruler, a bible (Catholic school!), football socks.

Just picked up a good idea from another thread about lunch boxes. Going to use recycled takeaway boxes for a sandwich, instead of the whole primary school Tupperware & insulated bag scenario. Saves space and doesn't matter if it goes walkabout.

Going to sew a couple of emergency £10 notes into his blazer.

encyclogirl Thu 15-Aug-13 11:13:39

Can I join? Bit late to the party...

Ds12 starts Mon 26th August (earlier in Ireland). I thought I was calm, but now I find myself freaking out a bit.

He loses everything. How will he find his way from class to class?

WillColbert Thu 15-Aug-13 12:41:45

My DS is also off to secondary school in a few weeks so I've been following this thread with interest. I've picked up some great tips, so thanks everyone. I think the box with files for each subject sounds great but I missed where to get it from. Can anyone provide the details or a link?

chicaguapa Thu 15-Aug-13 13:16:36

You can get the Really Useful Box at Staples or online at Amazon or eBay.

The 19l box fits A4 suspension files. The 24l box fits foolscap suspension files which we think will be better as DD will need to fit in the A4 plastic wallets which will be a bit bigger than A4. Or you can get the 35l box which will fit foolscap files and a couple of ringbinders.

<spent too long looking at this>

I can't believe how difficult it is to get a school bag that is decent, not ultra expensive, and acceptable to us both.

Still struggling with the choices now - any ideas?

WillColbert Thu 15-Aug-13 15:21:56

Thanks chicaguapa. I'm going to get the 35l - exactly what I need!

SoImpatient80 England Mon 19-Aug-13 13:58:04

My DD1 starts secondary school in a couple of weeks, shes very relaxed and looking forward to it, whilst I'm fretting over making sure everything is 'right' for her (I remember how harsh kids can be!) Whats everyone sending their DC's with on the first day?? Will she need to take her pe kit with her? Apparently they are given lockers for their pe kit (friend of a friend said this) but not sure if they'll get them the first day or not. I'm just thinking pencil case, writing pad and lunch for first day??

aristocat Mon 19-Aug-13 23:25:36

SoImpatient yes I reckon just lunch and pencil case here on their first day. DS has been given some holiday homework (still, not done) so will be taking that too.
What is the decision on labelling clothes? Sew-in labels are too childish, so do we just write their name with a pen and hope for the best?

2nd Sept start here, is anyone back next week?

SonorousBip Tue 20-Aug-13 11:31:21

My Ds starts with an orientation day on 30 August which feels a bit early shock.

We've pretty much got all the uniform, most of it is labelled and he did a trial run on the bus on his own last week, so we are close to being ready. smile

SoImpatient80 England Tue 20-Aug-13 11:45:07

aristocat I'm going for writing names in and crossing my fingers, as you say sew-in seem to childish and I'm rubbish at sewing too!

SonorousBip how did the bus trial run go? DD is going on bus with another girl who already attends the school shes going to and is a bit older. Shes going to point out where to get off, where to get the bus if she misses the bus from outside the school etc. Then next week I plan on her going by herself and maybe meeting up with some friends, shes quite nervous about that.

chicaguapa Tue 20-Aug-13 20:20:00

I'm going to write the name in with a sharpie but only the surname so the uniform can be passed down to DS.

lu9months Tue 20-Aug-13 21:22:51

silly question, but what do they need in their pencil case?? pencils, pens, rubber, ruler obv, what about compasses and protractors, do they still need those? he has been told to get a scientific calculator. thanks

spababe Thu 22-Aug-13 09:34:59

yes to compass and protractor. My DS can buy these items very cheaply from the school library if he looses his so worth a mention that anything forgotton can often be bought this way eg protractors are 20p

spababe Thu 22-Aug-13 09:35:36

oh and a sharpener with a thing to catch the bits

DS1 is off to the new intake sports camp today, he is wearing one of the school Games kits for the first time. He is so excited and a bit nervous, and I keep looking at him wondering where the time has gone. sad

mumtwo3 Wed 28-Aug-13 22:29:01

Hi I ordered labels to put in uniform and thought it would be good to have his name and my number on them. DS saw them today and asked if we could chop my number off them as they 'look silly'. I only put the number on in case he leaves things in a shop or on a bus as he will be catching 3 buses to get to and from school. Should I chop the number off and give in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now