What shall I feed my French exchange student to prevent a repeat?

(33 Posts)
Spidermama Tue 07-May-13 14:38:33

Last year DDs exchange student from Germany ate practically NOTHING I offered her the entire week. Nightmare!

So my heart sank on learning from his form that this French student's parents are 'hoteliers et restauranteurs'.

DH - the usual chef of this household - is away all that week. angry
So I need to do three evening meals and we'll eat out for the fourth.

Also, and perhaps more of a challenge, four packed lunches.

Bearing in mind I work full time and have four children of my own, ANY ideas of how I can do my best to make sure this boy eats would be very gratefully received.

sashh Thu 09-May-13 04:47:39

Lidl do great frozen bread rolls, they take 10 mins from frozen to nice warm bread rolls, great for breakfast.

Packed lunch I'd put bread roll, ham, cheese, fruit something sweet and let them build their own.

sleepywombat Thu 09-May-13 05:45:11

One of my French exchanges ate next to nothing we fed her, we were really worried about her. Even when we asked her what she liked & cooked it, she just picked at a little. After she left, found waste paper basket in her room full of chocolate bar wrappers & crisp packets.

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 07:02:42

Can I hi-jack this thread to ask

Where do you get your French exchange students? Is it through the school or a special agency - I would love to get DD (and DS) to do one, but their school don't organise them.

TIA!

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 09-May-13 08:31:22

Tilly, if you want to PM me and tell me where you are, I can maybe help you find some! We don't do exchanges as such, but are always on the look out for host families, and often the teen kids of our families form a friendship with the furrin kids and then go and visit them etc.

Lottie4 Thu 09-May-13 10:00:32

We have a french student staying with us this year and from what I can gather it's about the cultueral experience for her and we are to carry on as normaln (having said that we'll be going out more as think it's only fair to show her local area and do some fun things).

On the first night I'm planning pizza, chips and salad as she will be late and want something quick and easy while trying to welcome her. If that's a reject will have some bread/ham, cheese and fruit on offer. Thought about roast the second day. Will ask if she will eat what I'm cooking for our main meal. If not, we always have various options in the freezer, meat pies, fish, sausages, veggie burgers. We always have veggies and salad, so if it turns out she won't eat what we're having it's no big deal to do a salad.

Spidermama Fri 10-May-13 14:27:17

This thread is a massive help. I'll write a shopping list using this and make sure I put Nutella, nice bread rolls, good cheese, ham, chicken etc etc on it. I think it's gonna have to be Waitrose.

notcitrus Fri 10-May-13 14:33:56

Just make sure they are aware that Marmite and Bovril aren't chocolate spreads before they slather them half an inch thick on their toast and take a huge bite...

BoffinMum Fri 10-May-13 14:38:25

French kids eat most stuff. Spaghetti bolognaise a la maison, home made pizza and good quality ice cream and particular welcome, we have found.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now