GCSE options

(42 Posts)
ChattyME Mon 06-May-13 19:06:14

My daughter has chosen her GCSE options a few weeks back and i'm sure alot of you would agree that it is very stressful but i'm aware there is still time to change them. She picked off the first three she wanted straight off and was happy with them with one slot she was unsure of, However she is really indecisive, She wanted to take both History and geography but she didn't want to much work as one of her options is Art, She also has a language to add to the EBAC. She is having trouble coming to terms with what to pick and is finding whatever she picks she will regret, normally i would say she would get over it however this has been going on for weeks, what should i do?

speedology Fri 05-Jul-13 20:07:09

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

hellsbells99 Tue 07-May-13 17:49:51

Hi cricketballs. The qualification they do is OCR and they haven't learnt anything that they hadn't previously done in years 7,8 and 9. They said the work in IT in years 10 and 11 is just repeating what they already know. They have been bored and feel they have wasted their time. Maths certainly isn't a waste of time - although DD2 cannot understand why she has to do English at GCSE as "I can write in English and read so what's the point!" ......maybe she is at school with your DS smile

Whoops, X post with your second !

Ah, that's great smile
Sounds good x

ChattyME Tue 07-May-13 17:22:36

The IT qualification the school offers is the OCR course - This is another reason she is upset.

ChattyME Tue 07-May-13 17:20:02

Actually what you just mentioned could be part of the reason she is so indecisive, I think what you have just said is true - making the first big decision, picking her GCSEs is a way of growing up and maybe she is afraid. She is sticking with her options for the time being - however she is trying to think about it taking in her own preferences rather than what shes reading on the internet or what her friends are saying so Thank you. I'm not sure if it will be any help and she will probably still worry but i think this has given her a better understanding.

cricketballs Tue 07-May-13 17:07:48

hellsbells99 - it depends on the actual qualification being studied for IT; the GCSE is very relevant and up to date, whereas the OCR is not as good for the more academic students. IT has never pretended to be computing and is a very different subject which no matter what role you have later in life you will use the skills learnt and the analytical development you gain.

But then again, as my DS said the same about maths I am sure that you don't fully think that subject/options advice for someone should be solely based on your DD's thoughts about one subject/qualification at one school hmm

Just thinking it's the first big(ish) decision they've been asked to make isn't it ? So, if she's a sensitive soul it may have made her aware of how our choices do map out our lives in a way, and that's a pretty big thing to grapple with/realise.

So, perhaps trying to help her be calm about it and make it less of a big deal may help ? As you say the choice of her third subject is unlikely to make a huge difference to the path her life takes at this point.

So, is she thinking of changing anything or sticking to what she decided when she gave the form in? Geography? German ? Art ? & IT ?
Is that right (for now !)?

ChattyME Tue 07-May-13 16:32:42

Yeah maybe your right, she is aware of realistic jobs - she doesn't want to be a Doctor or an Artist, Basically to cut it bluntly she don't want to think shes made a mistake or regret her decision as you only choose your GCSEs once - I've told her what anybody else would, it's one subject it isn't going to ruin your life, It's more important actually getting the grades. God knows what she would do if she didn't pass hmm I'm sure it will pass over eventually and she will come to a decision but at this point in time i don't think it will.

wonderingagain Tue 07-May-13 16:19:05

Perhaps you need to sit with her and look at the long view now - get her to look at careers and the kinds of jobs that she could do, see if she can identify a 'dream job' and a 'real job'. I have been discussing it with mine as she is indecisive like yours, and it's helping her to visualise the end result. Once that is in sight it might be easier for her to decide. If she can't you might have to do it for her.

ChattyME Tue 07-May-13 16:10:35

She doesn't want to study a psychology degree so to speak she just wants to study it at A-Level and take it from there, She is still hopelessly confused and wants to make sure she picks the right options, However when she comes to a decision we find our self straight back to square one because when she hears people say bad things about her subjects she gets really upset - I've told her not everyone likes the same subjects as you for example some people hate Art and cant wait to drop it, but i think because it was her last option - which she had no idea what to pick, shes getting abit het up over it plus it doesn't help that she is extremely sensitive anyway.

adoptmama Tue 07-May-13 14:25:53

History is a lot of work but - and it is a big but - it will provide her with excellent analytical skills and I personally think she will find it a lot more useful in supporting her desire to to psychology, than IT.

wonderingagain Tue 07-May-13 13:38:07

My dd also wanted to do both and she dropped the foreign language. Ebac has been phased out now anyway so isn't really an issue. I will try and teach her a language at home.

hellsbells99 Tue 07-May-13 13:34:07

Sorry but IT at our school is a waste of time according to my DDs. They have to do it as a compulsory subject. It is NOT Computing - which would be a good subject and very much help them if they wished to have a career in computing. Could your DD do the 3 sciences rather than double? Also Art is an awful lot of work that is made worse if your daughter is a perfectionist - I have just spent 2 years living through an Art GCSE!

mumslife Tue 07-May-13 13:03:09

My daughter did geography history and art for gcse and they are all loads of work she is soon to take her gcse and the revision for history and geography is massive though art all finished

CognitiveOverload Mon 06-May-13 21:28:40

I think it does depend on the school.

I think it is sometimes Pottering, depending on the school and the subject. Check with your school if it might affect choices ?

I did a-level geography without having done GCSE geography - it's not necessary to have a GCSE in a subject to do it for a-level

ChattyME Mon 06-May-13 21:15:15

Thank you for the link also - very informative and i will look through it in more detail later. I hope to come to some sort of decision but i think she is slightly more at ease. I think it's hard for children especially considering they learn so many subjects - Which only 4 they can choose from to carry on. Although alot of the subjects she has cancelled out straight away like above Drama, Music etc. She has always been keen to do Art though which is one of her favourite subjects. But like you said you cant do everything although with my DD their isn't enough she wants to do!

CognitiveOverload Mon 06-May-13 21:13:17

More girls need to get into IT. Its a brilliant career.

Ooh thanks for interesting looking link Cognitive - will have a look in a mo ...
My DD is also in Y9 and has chosen History, Geography, and Art as well as French and the usual others including 3 sciences. She's quite keen and strong on the humanities and also loves Art so they were quite easy choice of 3 for her. Slightly sad to be dropping Latin (which she's enjoyed because of the historical aspect) and Product Design (which she's got a talent for) and I think Food Tech would have been a good practical one if we could have squeezed any of those in, but you can't do everything can you ? And she's rather pleased, along with her friends, to be dropping drama - which surprised me really, but I think she can be a bit quiet especially at school, so evidently found it slightly embarrassing/ not for her.
DD feels she's going to be doing some IT anyway as they all do.
Hope the workload won't be too extreme - I've heard things about the Art course too, but there'd be no stopping her so I haven't tried !

CognitiveOverload Mon 06-May-13 20:54:44

It will help unbelievably if she wants to do nursing. Although, not so much if she is going for 'traditional' degrees like medicine or law.

ChattyME Mon 06-May-13 20:54:16

Well she said she is wanting to take it as she really enjoy the whole concept of Psychology - However like i said she cant even come to terms with her GCSES let alone her A-Level choices yet.

CognitiveOverload Mon 06-May-13 20:53:14

Apart feom the fact she might learn something very useful and applicable to real life you mean ;)

pickledginger Mon 06-May-13 20:49:08

What does she want the psychology A level for? If it's because she's interested in it as a degree subject there's no benefit to taking it at A level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now