How bad is this on a scale of 1 to 10?

(44 Posts)
roisin Fri 03-May-13 17:30:27

Ofsted like schools to consult their students and do "student voice" questionnaires.
* ds2 is in yr9 and they duly filled in a questionnaire. Many of them are unhappy about a number of issues in school at the moment, and included these in their questionnaires.
* The school then held an assembly and - among other things - reminded the students that there are other schools, and they could always move if they're not proud to be there.
* Individual students (including my son) who had mentioned individual teachers, members of staff, or the HT had interviews with Head of Lower School or other senior staff to discuss.
* Then today (maybe 6 weeks since the original questionnaire) they had to re-do their questionnaires! shock And this was done in their form room with their form teacher, the Head of Lower school and the Deputy of Lower school prowling round the classroom, looking over their shoulders to see what they were writing!

It's not just me is it? This is like something from an Orwell novel? I am outraged. Or am I overreacting?

roisin Sat 04-May-13 07:45:17

My decision as to what to do is further complicated by the fact that dh has a new job and we're moving (long way); so ds2 is only there for 5 more weeks. This means we could say:

a) it's not our concern any longer, or
b) we've got nothing to lose, le's give them both barrels
c) if we upset the Head of Lower School now, she might give a reference to the new school marking him out as a trouble maker.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 04-May-13 08:06:30

I do think it is worth talking to other parents about it because you will not be the only ones with concerns.

I don't think this should affect a future school (it wouldn't us). It's great news that you are out of it all though, I would be uncomfortable staying in a school like this. I'd still report it if I were you.

Congrats on the move smile

cornypringle Sat 04-May-13 09:12:18

is this a private school?

roisin Sat 04-May-13 09:18:57

Thanks Shipwrecked: it used to be a great school, but we're much less impressed with it now, so we're delighted to be out of there!

Cornypringle - no, it's a non-selective state school.

cornypringle Sat 04-May-13 09:22:59

I'm just shock at the arrogance of the staff
holding an assembly about it!!!

roisin Sat 04-May-13 09:29:06

They've had at least two assemblies about it!

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 04-May-13 11:14:00

Ha!

Nothing puts teenagers off more than try hard teachers!!! They sniff out a conspiracy so fast.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 04-May-13 11:14:31

Especially try hard senior management smile

Frikadellen Sat 04-May-13 13:32:41

Roisin

We moved our dd2 from a outstanding primary due to very poor management At the time we went with the " it is no longer of our business and just went on with things.

it is now many years later and I regret it. So I would say go ahead and make the complaint. At least you will know you did your bit.

Clary Sun 05-May-13 00:38:00

Agree with others roisin, very much not OK.

Pupils' opinions are no use at all if they are treated in this way. Same for staff.

Off topic - where are you moving to? Anywhere in this direction?? grin

roisin Sun 05-May-13 07:52:14

Hi Clary! I messaged you.

Tanith Sun 05-May-13 21:56:39

Sounds to me like your DS2 got the right answer grin

Jimmybob Sun 05-May-13 23:46:54

v.v. bad indeed

Nehru Sun 05-May-13 23:47:54

roisin

As you are the COOlest girl in cooltown I would say it is shit

steppemum Mon 06-May-13 00:05:01

I think this is appalling. The questionnaires should have been anonymous

Given the obvious atmosphere in response to criticism, I would write a letter to Ofsted, just stating exactly what you have said here in your OP. You can ask to remain confidential, so that the school doesn't know it was from you. You are actually ideally placed to do this as you are leaving and so there won't be any repercussions for your dcs.

Please don't let it go, as I think the school only stands a chance of changing if this sort of thing is brought to light. Think od th eothers who are not moving.

roisin Mon 06-May-13 12:35:53

Nehru confused

Nehru Mon 06-May-13 14:42:53

its me!

3littlefrogs Mon 06-May-13 14:52:00

The school reports from Dd's school have a section for feedback asking for comments or concerns.

In year 7 I put a short sentence about something (can't remember now what it was). Dd was hauled into the HOY's office for an "interview" regarding this, and was essentially blamed for making it all up.

Now I leave this section blank.

roisin Mon 06-May-13 17:11:03

I think this may be quite common 3littlefrogs: schools don't actually want constructive criticism, when the 'consultation' is just a box-ticking exercise for Ofsted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now