Grammar Levels

(18 Posts)
mistymom Fri 03-May-13 12:19:36

yes did know she was doing ok but wanted to know what other yr7s at grammar where getting. Only posted because i was just wondering if she had got in to the grammar on the waiting list would she have struggled and not have kept up with the other pupils. Did not want to post to try to make her out as being clever as also have a dd who is completely different as all kids are. My other dd will struggle to get level 4's in her ks2 sats this may.

Willemdefoeismine Fri 03-May-13 08:01:13

False modesty/naivity?

seeker Thu 02-May-13 21:38:03

With levels like that, I fail to understand why you posted. You must have known they were excellent for year 7.

Why on earth do people do this?

brentwoodgal Thu 02-May-13 20:41:13

AND I misread ryanboys post and understand the point now - dur blush

brentwoodgal Thu 02-May-13 20:38:06

I guess it's not straightforward due to the many school classifications - grammar, academy, comprehensive, religious, free etc - all have degrees of selectivity and admission rules. I suppose "comprehensive" is a bit of a redundant term nowadays !!

mistymom Thu 02-May-13 20:37:41

Thanks all, Seeker my dd levels are

English 6c
Maths 6b
Science 6c
History 7c
Geography 5a
R.e 5a
French 5b
Art 6c
P.e 5a
Ict 5a
Drama 5a
D.t 6c

Willemdefoeismine Thu 02-May-13 18:32:20

In Sutton there are outstanding comps in grammar school areas but that's because the grammar schools are super-selectives!

seeker Thu 02-May-13 17:23:20

Only some bits of Kent!

Sorry to be pedantic- in most of Kent, 23%ish go to grammar school- the school the remainder go to is far from comprehensive.

brentwoodgal Thu 02-May-13 17:00:41

'He's at an outstanding comp in a grammar school area.'
How can it be comprehensive in a grammar school area

...Because counties like Essex and Kent have grammar schools which only a tiny proportion of kids get in to and the rest go to comprehensives...!

ryanboy Thu 02-May-13 14:55:17

'He's at an outstanding comp in a grammar school area.'
How can it be comprehensive in a grammar school area confused

50shadesofvomit Thu 02-May-13 12:22:13

My son has low-mid level 6 in English, Science, Maths. High level 5 in Geog/History and mid level 4 for German.
He's at an outstanding comp in a grammar school area.

seeker Thu 02-May-13 12:18:34

High 5/low/mid 6 for everything except art and MFL. High school.

What are your dd's levels, OP?

Willemdefoeismine Thu 02-May-13 12:14:59

We don't have any idea (currently) of DS's levels on the basis of Year 7 1/2 termly reports at a superselective - they seem thus far to have eschewed the whole 'levels' exercise quite happily. I would hope that in his end of year report though, we would get some idea of how much he's progressed, particularly in Maths and English.

Their 1/2 termly reports rate them in comparison with their classmates so we know he is average in most and above average in a few! But as to levels these equate to, your guess is as good as mine!

ryanboy Thu 02-May-13 09:28:45

mid/Good level 6 apart from maths which would probably be a 7

Iamnotminterested Tue 30-Apr-13 16:29:45

Current levels?

English 6c
Maths 5b
Science 5a
History 6a - her favourite subject!!
Geography 5a
r.e 5b
French 4a
Spanish 4b
art 5b
d.T 5c
P.e 4a I think
Ict 4a
drama 4a - joint favourite subject
Music 4a.

Comprehensive.

Blissx Tue 30-Apr-13 15:52:37

Anywhere between 5 and 6 for most subjects apart from the ones they may never have done before and so could be a Level 4.
Nothing to worry about anyway. Government is hinting about doing away with Yearly levels and sublevels next year anyway.
Being a Grammar school, they will soon tell you if there is anything to worry about smile

titchy Tue 30-Apr-13 15:06:43

Knowing MN they'll all be on Level 9 grin

My ds is top set at reasonable average comprehensive and is 6b for Maths and Science, 6c English and Humanities, 5b RE, Music, 4b/c Languages. Lower for PE and DT blush

mistymom Tue 30-Apr-13 14:45:54

Would like a bit of information off parents who currently have children in Yr7. My daughter was on a waiting list for her 1st choice school which was a grammar school. We excepted 2nd choice school and feel she is doing well. Just wondered if any parents would be willing to say what levels a Yr7 pupil is working at. Thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now