moving to scotland

(9 Posts)
shazmummyoftwo Mon 29-Apr-13 18:22:18

Hi everyone
I hope you can advise me. I am a mummy of two , muslim asian british and have decided to take my two girls and hubby to live in scotland.why?
I love scotland and i love the people the city and want to lookmfor work up there. Putting house on market and will rent there and see how it goes.
where is best to live
where are schools ok
my daughters are
8 and 9 so year 3 and year 5 so I understand they will stay longer in primary school.
Any advice fellow mums who moved up to scotland and how have you found it ? I love england too but its time for a fresh start and just nerves a bit playing up - please tell me you love living in scotland and my instincts are not wrong Ill be ok wont I ?
Me and hubby will work kids at school we will rent out , should i consider any surrounding areas ?

3nationsfamily Tue 30-Apr-13 09:55:32

Scotland is a big place! Do you want to live in Edinburgh/ Glasgow/ Small village by the sea, remote island community, far north in the Highlands.... Your question is way to general. What kind of work do you/ DH do and are there jobs in that field in Scotland? The cost of living/ property is widely varied across the country e.g. Edinburgh and Aberdeen are very expensive compared to say Glasgow or in the countryside.

CecilyP Tue 30-Apr-13 10:41:28

I think your post is far too vague for people to help you regarding areas. You have mentioned a city, but you have not said which city! Success in the move would very much depend on the type of work you and your DH do and what the competition for those kind of jobs is. Do you have any friends and family connections or would your little family be on your own?

Regarding staying at primary school longer it would depend on when your DDs have their birthdays. If their birthdays are between 1 March and 31 August, they will start secondary school when they are 12.

shazmummyoftwo Wed 01-May-13 22:52:25

thanks for your advice
lol
i am going to live in edinburgh
i am a ifa my hubby is an ifa
got advice off some mates so thanks for your lovely words
smile

shazmummyoftwo Wed 01-May-13 22:52:57

ifa i dependent financial advisers but jobs with some major firms

Edinburgh is very expensive as regards property but has lots of suburbs/commuter towns outside. To the east you have the coastal towns and villages - some of which are on rail lines into Edinburgh - some lovely places but again some very expensive. To the south you have places like Penicuik - decent school not that expensive and only 9 miles from the city centre of Edinburgh - Edinburgh is a relatively small city. West of the city you have West Lothian with towns such as Linlithgow which is nice and on the train route into edinburgh.

Most Financial services are in Edinburgh rather than Glasgow but there are jobs all over. There is a lot of Private education in edinburgh itself , but there are lots of nice/decent state schools too. Once you narrow down whether you want to be in the City, a town or a village or rural then it will be easier to narrow down.

Scotland works on catchment areas so you will find that the best schools will be in areas with the highest rents/property prices. It is possible to apply to other schools but there is no guarantee that you will get a place. If you live in the catchment for the school you want, you are virtually guaranteed a space there.

If you are intending to be here long term then I would concentrate on finding an area with a High school you like and then find the primary after that.

Edinburgh is very expensive as regards property but has lots of suburbs/commuter towns outside. To the east you have the coastal towns and villages - some of which are on rail lines into Edinburgh - some lovely places but again some very expensive. To the south you have places like Penicuik - decent school not that expensive and only 9 miles from the city centre of Edinburgh - Edinburgh is a relatively small city. West of the city you have West Lothian with towns such as Linlithgow which is nice and on the train route into edinburgh.

Most Financial services are in Edinburgh rather than Glasgow but there are jobs all over. There is a lot of Private education in edinburgh itself , but there are lots of nice/decent state schools too. Once you narrow down whether you want to be in the City, a town or a village or rural then it will be easier to narrow down.

Scotland works on catchment areas so you will find that the best schools will be in areas with the highest rents/property prices. It is possible to apply to other schools but there is no guarantee that you will get a place. If you live in the catchment for the school you want, you are virtually guaranteed a space there.

If you are intending to be here long term then I would concentrate on finding an area with a High school you like and then find the primary after that.

jennybeadle Thu 02-May-13 23:08:06

Edinburgh is a fabulous place to live. Good luck!

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 02-May-13 23:30:57

I am American, but I have lived in Edinburgh (as a student) and go back to visit when I can. I love it; it is my favorite city anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now