GCSE Support Thread 2013

(682 Posts)
wolvesarerunning Thu 18-Apr-13 16:33:19

I've been waiting for someone to start this (was on the 2012 thread last year and am unlucky enough to have dc 18 months apart in consecutive school years!) Please join me to support and share the angst with only four weeks to go now to the first written exam.

circular Fri 10-May-13 13:43:35

First on Monday here to - French Listening and Reading papers.
Hardly any revision being done except for school sessions - she thinks doing too much will be counterproductive.

Can't work out if she she is being lazy or just an over confident brat!

circular Fri 10-May-13 13:45:17

Does anyone know, is it just EDEXCEl that do not allow any discussion for 24 hours after the exam?

boschy Fri 10-May-13 14:44:34

circular I have just decided that its her exams, she should know what she needs to do to get the grades she wants (vv average, if not lower, she is not academic at all) and there is absolutely no point me nagging which would result in screaming, shouting and tears all round.

School is great and very supportive, so I put my trust in them, her and God!! (and also drink copious amounts of wine)

Doinmummy Fri 10-May-13 16:34:40

Thanks Beachy I'll have a look. I think they've been doing old papers but she doesn't understand any of it sad.

Doinmummy Fri 10-May-13 16:37:26

DD doesn't seem to be revising enough (for my liking anyway) . She says she does it at school.

I agree, no point nagging as it just causes rows. I'm now taking the stance if what will be , will be ( also on the vino )

TheWave Fri 10-May-13 17:00:14

Last day of normal school here before starting exams Monday. Anyone else's DC in the park getting pissed partying?

MrsFrederickWentworth Fri 10-May-13 17:06:12

Beachy and Basildon, first maths paper over
Pretty difficult a/c Ds.
views from yours?
French on Monday.

What a weekend

prettydaisies Fri 10-May-13 17:09:04

DS has done maths this afternoon. Just had a text to say it was ok apart from 1 question. No idea what he did this morning as we are all out at work. Hope he managed some revision.
Physics next on Tuesday, but DD starts AS exams on Monday! It's all go here.

basildonbond Fri 10-May-13 17:45:02

maths apparently fine apart from one tricky question but he seemed quite upbeat about it

RS on Monday followed by Physics and PE on Tuesday

joy ...

prettydaisies Fri 10-May-13 17:49:58

I wonder if it was the same question......

I'm on the mumsnet bloggers network and wondered if any of you with teens revising for English might be interested in this site. It's got tons of free resources, model essays, quotations and what have you - no adverts, and it's all free.

Though I think boschy is right, nagging can be unhelpful - often it helps if they can see what they could do to improve, especially for a major subject like English where it's all so vague and hard to revise.

This link should take you straight to the GCSE and IGCSE page.
ATeacherWrites.com

Please let me know if there's anything special you need. If I can, I'll write resources for you. Here's a Huffington Post article about revision that you might find helpful.

circular Fri 10-May-13 18:20:41

Boschy Not much hope of staying sane here then - I don't drink or smoke and not religious lol

roisin Fri 10-May-13 18:26:51

ds1 starts on Tues and we're all still sane here! He made a revision plan 7 weeks ago and he's been striking to it.

I'm pleased he hasn't so far shown signs of being stressed (as he was last year).

I'm also pleased that school have shown no signs of kicking them out on study leave.

Casey Fri 10-May-13 18:51:24

ATeacherWritesHome - Do you have any useful resources for getting the marks in the reading section of the AQA English Language exam - FOUNDATION paper? (eg summarise/infer, language features, presentational features).

I couldn't see anything on your site.

MrsFrederickWentworth Fri 10-May-13 20:54:44

Teacher, will look at that immediately as Ds dyslexic and hates English with a Passion.

basildonbond Fri 10-May-13 20:59:45

ds says it was a 'show that...' question confused apart from that he said it was all pretty straightforward

basildonbond Fri 10-May-13 21:00:07

that was to prettydaisies

MrsFrederickWentworth Fri 10-May-13 22:44:19

Bas, was it about a rectangle?

boschy Fri 10-May-13 23:43:26

circular not religious either, but you know, any port in a storm and all that!! she has been revising tonight and I went and sat with her to keep her company - unfortunately fell asleep and got kicked out for snoring!!

beachyhead Sat 11-May-13 07:25:47

I presume Bas and Prett daisies, that we were all same board. Ours was edexcel IGCSE. She was ok and maths is by far her worst. We are just aiming for a pass!

She managed every question, but not the part c's on every one, so I'm hopeful. She was strangely confused about the 'having birthday on the day of the marathon' but seems to have got it right...grin

Physics on Tuesday, then two English langs... Might take a look at that website...

hellsbells99 Sat 11-May-13 08:25:43

Hello Ateacherwrites. Thanks for the link. Do you have anything on Blood Brothers? Thanks!

prettydaisies Sat 11-May-13 11:13:03

Bas and Beachy it was a show that question about the perimeter of a rectangle. Same board - edexcel IGCSE.
Physics next too, but he's out all day playing a cricket match for school. Revision tomorrow.

MrsFrederickWentworth Sat 11-May-13 11:38:27

Yup. That's the one. Cricket today too, French Monday.

QueenQueenie Sat 11-May-13 11:48:54

That ws obviously the tricksy question on that maths paper. Ds says he did paper very quickly, checked everything then spent nearly 25 mins doing that one!

QueenQueenie Sat 11-May-13 11:50:20

Beachy, I think we are on same track as you. Maths yesterday physics and 2x English Lang and some Spanish next week.
Good luck to everyone's dcs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now