Ask.fm - another pervert social network??

(42 Posts)
notfluffy Wed 17-Apr-13 23:07:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bullying is a serious issue and always has been. People got bullied to the point of suicide before there was an Internet. Stupid people being encouraged to foam at the mouth about one specific website, particularly a fairly small one with a lot of 'wierd' (but non-harmful) stuff on it is not only a useless way to 'stop bullying', but actively damaging. A culture of conformism and obedience and 'Waah, stop and ban anything we don't understand' is where bullying thrives.

TheFallenNinja Tue 13-Aug-13 21:49:13

If they turned off the internet tomorrow, perverts would simply find another way to do their stuff and despite all the campaigns etc kids would still find ways of putting themselves in harms way as they believe it can't possibly happen to them.

The genie is out of the bottle here, I don't know the answer much the same as my parents didn't know the answer to my teenage rebellion.

Mendi Tue 13-Aug-13 21:39:27

What an insensitive and inarticulate post solidgoldbrass. Internet bullying is a serious issue these days and no one on this thread has said anything about it being anything to do with "nasty foreigners". Comments on the difficulty in taking down websites like this when they are located abroad is a statement of fact, not an expression of xenophobia.

Do you have children? If so, how can you be unconcerned by this sort of website?

IamFluffy Tue 13-Aug-13 07:40:30

Oh FFS. It's not this specific website, nor any other specific website, that is the problem. We live, and have lived for roughly 20 years, surrounded by a mass media culture that encourages bullying, conformism, and a vicious, witless sentimentality - all the worst aspects of adolescence anyway - look at the Murdoch papers and their alternate sanctifying and witch-hunting of people.
It's important to teach teens to understand about privacy settings etc, and that they should avoid some websites because those websites are for adults, not 12-year olds anyway, rather more important to teach them not to bully one another and to appreciate diversity.
Getting the masses to shit the bed over Ask.FM and squeal for it to be banned is not about Protecting Our Children, it's just another bit of anti-internet propaganda (the government doesn't really like people being able to communicate directly with each other) laced with xenophobia (eek yuk aargh, it's run by nasty foreigners who smell funny, eat weird food and don't speak English...)

CounselorTroi Tue 13-Aug-13 00:03:02

ask.fm was directly linked to the suicides of 2 young girls in Ireland last year. A few months later the older sister of one of the girls also took her own life.

We are very aware of this site in Ireland. It is just awful.

mothersanonymous Thu 08-Aug-13 17:03:46

That's a really good idea Eviltwins - children and teens don't always realise how much information others can find out about them and it's great to show them like your 6th formers did.

I know mine went on ask.fm a couple of times, had staggeringly purile exchanges with Facebook friends and then got bored with it and stopped. I (and they) can't begin to imagine why anybody would want to use it regularly, but I do think that one problem with trying to get this site banned is that there will be another one right behind. In the meantime their Facebook 'friends' can still taunt them just as effectively without it. We need to educate and support children in having the skills to cope with these social media - I am in favour of regulation too, but I'm afraid the genie is well out of the bottle and there will always be more sites popping up.

EvilTwins Wed 07-Aug-13 23:10:43

I'm a secondary teacher and know of this site. It's hideous and should be banned.

We have spent a lot of time this year trying to get our students to see how dangerous the Internet can be. We've had local police roadshow in, two Theatre In Education companies and have covered it extensively in tutor sessions, citizenship and so on. Sadly too many teenagers - particularly the younger ones, seem to think that "bad" stuff will never happen to them and brush it off. My 6th form Performing Arts class designed a piece if forum theatre and presented it to Yr 7 classes on this very subject. They know all the right procedures and answers - not giving out personal info, not entering into contact with people you don't know IRL and so on. The culmination of the piece included the older students asking the younger ones to rate their Internet security by moving to specific areas of the room. They then asked
Volunteers if we could search their names on FB to see how secure their profiles really were. As you can imagine, a great deal were open to all, and included personal info, pics of them in school uniform (and, in some cases, in provocative poses) most had their messaging settings to "anyone" without fully understanding the potential consequences. This is definitely something that parents and schools need to work together on, but getting shot of awful sites like ask.fm would be a good start.

Thank you for the information on this; have had a chat with DS1 and removed the app from his Fb account.

Madlizzy Tue 06-Aug-13 20:52:23

I've put up a link to a petition in the petitions page here asking the government to address this problem.

joycei Tue 06-Aug-13 20:47:23

In the news today - a 14 year old girl has committed suicide. Her father links her suicide to her contact with this site. According to the father, his daughter was subject to all sorts of replies which were offensive and recommended she would do a service by commiting suicide!

I'm a very "old" parent, but have to say, in my teenage years I was never exposed to this kind of vitrioloc abuse. Our teenager's today have access to "bullying that I would never have dreamt would be directed to todays young people.

Today's parents have to be so much more aware of the dangers out there for our children - much more danger than my parents had to consider for me. Have to say, my childhood looks much more protected than the young people of today.

So, is all this social networking enhancing our childrens lives or - is it a media, which offers our young people ill informed advice, whilst making the owners of these sites millions!! Who's being exploited by social networking?

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Mon 29-Apr-13 15:34:54

Thanks for this. I've just turned my K9 Web protection up to the highest level now!

Callofthefishwife Sun 28-Apr-13 23:08:32

This website was brought to my attention last autumn through a letter from my DDs schoolm who have so say "banned" any ouoils from using it and asked for parents support in the matter.

I have heard nothing good or positive about this site at all. It seems to be a anonymous bullying platform and several teen suicides have been reported to be linked to this site in some way.

It is just sick and I just dont understand how or why it is allowed to continue existing.

Furball Sun 21-Apr-13 09:52:22

thanks notfluffy that's really helpful

I also see there is a way to block certain posters even if you don't know who they are.

But I think the best plan would be just to block the whole thing.

notfluffy Sun 21-Apr-13 08:21:25

Nerfmother Sun 21-Apr-13 08:19:32

Dd was really upset recently because someone was asked (anonymously of course) for opinions on my dd. dd doesn't have it, but was gleefully alerted by various 'friends'

Furball Sun 21-Apr-13 08:06:58

If you don't sign up for ask.fm can you still be targeted?

ie can any ask.fm user contact anyone?

and can they really see your profile details? shock - surely that would be against FB rules?

invicta Sun 21-Apr-13 05:07:58

It's come up on my nephew and niece's facebook page occasionally. I'm not sure whether to say anything to their parents.

MissFredi Sun 21-Apr-13 00:31:25

I hate it. I'm with the majority here - it's vile. I'm only 21 myself so of course I am all over Facebook and twitter(tweeting about sausages - nothing pervy!) but I would never touch ask.fm. I had a formspring for a while a few years ago and it was just awful. And I see girls on fb who I know are younger than me plastering their ask.fm all over and I just think...what?? I also have a friend who is mid-twenties, 1 dc and another on the way and she gets trolled and spammed something chronic by some of the little shits in the town we live in.

To sum up; let's all go and kick their server to the ground!grin

Happymum22 Sun 21-Apr-13 00:03:58

Yes, the key issue is this complete lack of understanding of the danger from children. They really see it as innocent, jokey fun. And many seem to love the attention they get from replying to sexual questions. I was shocked to find pages for some of my DDs year group who are the most innocent girls imaginable but still answering disgusting questions whether they be asked by friends or strangers it is equally alarming... Really shocking and sad.

AmazingDisgrace Sat 20-Apr-13 12:27:29

It's generally not random strangers from what I can tell. Round here its kids in their year at school using it to bully and ask sexually explicit questions or ask what they think of other people at school

scrumpkin Fri 19-Apr-13 22:41:58

It's banned in this house!! 14 yr old dd had a secret account which I found. Made for grim reading.

LittleEsme Fri 19-Apr-13 22:38:18

I'm also a secondary school teacher but have heard of the site. The level of bullying on it is shocking. It's disgraceful and serves absolutely no useful purpose.

It needs closing down. I wish I knew how confused

Sorry, how she looks, how many boys has she slept with.

It was the vilest thing I have ever seen.

It's now blocked. But I don't get it. I don't get why a 14 year old would want random strangers asking filthy questions.

We had a long talk about it, apparently everyone else has one and it's all harmless because no one knows who you are.

I don't know if they are just naive or...well I don't know, foolish and like the attention. I think a lot of parents aren't aware of this site either. I contacted DDs friends parents, and they were all unaware of what this site actually was.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 19-Apr-13 22:26:39

The kids on this site also ask innocuous questions like "What do you think of girls with curly hair" but yes...it's dodgy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now