Ask.fm - another pervert social network??

(42 Posts)
notfluffy Wed 17-Apr-13 23:07:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ripsishere Thu 18-Apr-13 03:06:21

I've not heard of it, but my DD is not quite 12 and we live in Malaysia and she has a really basic mobile.
Maybe post this in chat?

Cerisier Thu 18-Apr-13 03:24:12

Ask.fm is like Formspring- and both are banned in our house. Nasty nasty sites. Keep your DD away from them.

circular Thu 18-Apr-13 06:35:24

Not heard of either if the above, but sound shocking.I have 15 and 10 year old DDs. Eldest on Facebook, but users Twitter more these days.

May be worth posting on Teenagers too.

AmazingDisgrace Thu 18-Apr-13 12:50:51

Banned in our house too. DH did something to the router so no one can access it here. Its really vileangry

Happymum22 Thu 18-Apr-13 23:09:03

Yes, seems to be the current trend.
Sadly despite the numerous talks they get nowadays even the brightest can't link the dangers with these sights. DD is 15 and I had a long conversation after she was in tears over a nasty Ask.fm question had been sent to her. I reminded her anyone could see that page and it was dangerous.
She said how is it dangerous, I don't write my address on there or anything. I explained anyone can ask her things and gradually built up information, along with the fact she needs to keep a good image in the web and future universities or whoever else doesn't want to come across an Ask.fm page with the sorts of things teens post to each other. It took her a long time to understand the dangers and harm of it. She felt because 'everyone has one', 'its just fun' and 'no one other than friends will find it', it is harmless.
Ask.fm is not banned and deleted.
They seem to like the attention of people asking questions and they get lots of 'so and so likes you' comments which,sadly, make them feel good about themselves. Even the most innocent turn into monsters behind computer screens when anonymous posting is possible.

Same with unprotected twitter accounts- teens seem to be posting almost every hour very detailed or personal information.

Happymum22 Thu 18-Apr-13 23:10:01

is NOW banned and deleted!

northender Thu 18-Apr-13 23:14:45

A teenager local to me took his life about 10 days agosad . It has been reported that he was a regular user of that site and that bullying via the site contributed to what happened. RIP

AmazingDisgrace Fri 19-Apr-13 09:32:42

That's so sad sad Sadly not the first time I've heard or read about a teenager taking their own life in relation to that site

nsure Fri 19-Apr-13 11:53:42

I also found this on my daughters facebook. I put a stop to it but it seems really common amongst her friends.

nsure Fri 19-Apr-13 11:54:50

I also found this on my daughters facebook. I put a stop to it but it seems really common amongst her friends.

nsure Fri 19-Apr-13 11:56:59

Stupid question , but can anyone ask questions ,or is it only your facebook contacts?. Seems a really dangerous and stupid site if anyone can.

Happymum22 Fri 19-Apr-13 13:27:31

Anyone can make an account- you just need an email address. You can then ask anyone any question anonymously. Scary!

notfluffy Fri 19-Apr-13 15:32:20

Haven't heard of it before (and I'm a secondary school teacher blush ) but it sounds vile. Do most teens have one, like facebook? You've got me worried DFD might have one now.

I found this on my 14 year old DDs twitter.

Full of questions like do you like rough sex, how big are your boobs, comments about how she l

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 19-Apr-13 22:26:39

The kids on this site also ask innocuous questions like "What do you think of girls with curly hair" but yes...it's dodgy.

Sorry, how she looks, how many boys has she slept with.

It was the vilest thing I have ever seen.

It's now blocked. But I don't get it. I don't get why a 14 year old would want random strangers asking filthy questions.

We had a long talk about it, apparently everyone else has one and it's all harmless because no one knows who you are.

I don't know if they are just naive or...well I don't know, foolish and like the attention. I think a lot of parents aren't aware of this site either. I contacted DDs friends parents, and they were all unaware of what this site actually was.

LittleEsme Fri 19-Apr-13 22:38:18

I'm also a secondary school teacher but have heard of the site. The level of bullying on it is shocking. It's disgraceful and serves absolutely no useful purpose.

It needs closing down. I wish I knew how confused

scrumpkin Fri 19-Apr-13 22:41:58

It's banned in this house!! 14 yr old dd had a secret account which I found. Made for grim reading.

AmazingDisgrace Sat 20-Apr-13 12:27:29

It's generally not random strangers from what I can tell. Round here its kids in their year at school using it to bully and ask sexually explicit questions or ask what they think of other people at school

Happymum22 Sun 21-Apr-13 00:03:58

Yes, the key issue is this complete lack of understanding of the danger from children. They really see it as innocent, jokey fun. And many seem to love the attention they get from replying to sexual questions. I was shocked to find pages for some of my DDs year group who are the most innocent girls imaginable but still answering disgusting questions whether they be asked by friends or strangers it is equally alarming... Really shocking and sad.

MissFredi Sun 21-Apr-13 00:31:25

I hate it. I'm with the majority here - it's vile. I'm only 21 myself so of course I am all over Facebook and twitter(tweeting about sausages - nothing pervy!) but I would never touch ask.fm. I had a formspring for a while a few years ago and it was just awful. And I see girls on fb who I know are younger than me plastering their ask.fm all over and I just think...what?? I also have a friend who is mid-twenties, 1 dc and another on the way and she gets trolled and spammed something chronic by some of the little shits in the town we live in.

To sum up; let's all go and kick their server to the ground!grin

invicta Sun 21-Apr-13 05:07:58

It's come up on my nephew and niece's facebook page occasionally. I'm not sure whether to say anything to their parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now