Frantically finding a good state secondary school

(8 Posts)
gazzalw Sun 07-Apr-13 16:52:44

It does indeed Lfs2126 - sure I've read on Mumsnet that some families put it above Tiffin on their CAFs!

Lfs2126 Sun 07-Apr-13 16:51:03

coombe girls in new Malden has a good rep I think.

miranpr Fri 05-Apr-13 16:02:35

The website http://www.how-to-choose-a-school.org could help you here.

gazzalw Fri 05-Apr-13 10:55:43

Know one girl from DS's former primary school cohort who went to Carshalton Girls' but don't think it's regarded as particularly good - which is probably why there are places.... Look at the Sutton Borough secondary schools' league tables and you will see what I mean.

You may find that it's not going to be easy to slot them into the good schools unless Lady Luck is on your side.

Good luck!

racingheart Tue 02-Apr-13 19:51:24

Esher High School has a good reputation. Hinchley Wood nearby is also excellent. In Surbiton Hollyfield has a fast track that is highly thought of in the area.

titchy Tue 02-Apr-13 19:00:03

Where do you actually live - Carshalton and Weybridge are a huge distance apart?

tiggytape Tue 02-Apr-13 18:52:20

Ameena - as you are looking for a place in-year, it will be a case to some extent of which schools have spaces rather than which schools are the best ones.
Even if you move right nextdoor to an outstanding school, they cannot offer you a place if there aren't any spaces in the right year groups. You don't really have a free choice at any time when it comes to schools but especially when you apply outside the normal time.

That said, there are some things you can do. Generally big schools have a higher turnover so a big, good school might have places coming up more often than a little secondary with just a few classes per year group.
You can enquire about waiting lists - if you apply to a mixed school and get one child a place, the other child may well be moved to the top of the list by virtue of having a sibling there.
You can also appeal for a place for one or both children. This involves going before a panel and explaining your reasons for wanting a place even though a school is full (generally medical / social / educational reasons are given).

Ameena Tue 02-Apr-13 18:27:14

Hi, I have moved to London recently and looking for a nice area with very good state schools for my 13 yr old daughter and 12 yr old son. Looking into Kingston burough and Surrey. Most of the very good schools are full so thinking of fetching a house to live close by. Went to Carshalton girls schools as they have a place....anyone for their inputs????
Let me know of Esher and Weybridge is for schools????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now