How much revision is your yr11 child doing?

(36 Posts)
Inncogneetow Mon 01-Apr-13 22:43:06

I'm pleased with ds1's approach: he doesn't seem stressed and seems to be doing "enough".

He has all his exams this summer (not done modular courses etc.), so has 17 exams, but most are just 1hr. Some subjects, eg Eng Lang and Maths he doesn't need to revise for, just complete the practice work set for homework. He is on track for very high targets for all subjects.

This Easter hols in total he has about 15 hours of set homework to complete and is doing 10 hours of planned revision. (He does focused 30 min slots.) Also going into school for 5 hrs one day for workshops.

So is the average mumsnet child doing more or less than this?

lainiekazan Wed 03-Apr-13 09:29:15

This thread has made my hair stand on end.

I have just torn the duvet off ds and yelled "carpe diem!" at him.

He is in year 10 but has three GCSEs this year. He has done absolutely nada.

middleagedspread Wed 03-Apr-13 16:46:31

Year 11. Male.
Hours of revision on Facebook smile
About 60 mins daily of GCSE subjects.
I've given up nagging, I'm bored of myself.

BackforGood Wed 03-Apr-13 16:52:28

beafrog - my ds did his last year, and didn't do any revision (except the 2 days a teacher arranged for them to go into school) at Easter either.
Like Hully's dc - he went into his room, and, like middleagedspread's ds - hours of revision on Facebook, and like lainiekazan's ds - a lot of sleeping.
Believe me Incogneetow - what your ds is doing is way above the average Yr11 ds from real life, if not MN dcs wink

Inncogneetow Wed 03-Apr-13 18:08:28

Did he get his targets BackforGood?!
I actually think ds1 would probably get his grades without a lot of revision, but he will have to work hard for A levels; so I don't want him to set a precedent of getting them without putting some graft in! LOL

The balance seems OK atm; we're not having to nag for him to get it done, but he's clearly benefitting from the time he is putting in.

Ten weeks on Froday is his last exam!

Inncogneetow Wed 03-Apr-13 18:08:46

*Friday

BackforGood Wed 03-Apr-13 18:15:12

He did OK - got what was predicted. Could, of course, have done better if he'd put the work in. smile
You are lucky to have a ds who is prepared to work at this stage.

beafrog Thu 04-Apr-13 15:51:11

Thank you parents of less motivated children for your reassurance... I know it shouldn't matter, but it does make me feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one...

circular Fri 05-Apr-13 12:56:25

Study sessions at school this week, 3 x 1hr15 each day, but not in all subjects. DD has gone in most days, but only covered 2 or of her subjects.
Also English Lit CA catch up sessions.

Apart from this, very little revision going on. A small amount of the 3 subjects that have papers before half term.

School recommends 4 hours on non-school day, 1 hour on school day. Hoping she will get down to this from next week.

Not pushing her at all, as she seems exhausted.

Movingtimes Fri 05-Apr-13 12:58:42

DD1 says she is doing 4 hours a day. But for all I know she is spending most of it on Tumblr.

mumslife Sun 07-Apr-13 20:14:35

apparently my daughter claims no one else is doing four hours revision daily over the holidays lol! she has made notes on all subjects now this week apparently is just pure revision going over her notes and learning them and maybe some past papers trouble is when I am at worj I have noidea if she is doing the four hours but I have had several talks with her stressing how important it is not much more you can do I guess

Inncogneetow Sun 07-Apr-13 20:19:15

ds1 still doing just 30-45 min sessions; focused work on a particular topic (mostly science).
2 or 3 sessions per day. Revising a topic, then getting us to test him.

This time seems to be far more worthwhile/productive than the homework, which is mostly just doing endless past papers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now