Where to live in the uk that has excellent state schooling?

(63 Posts)
Shark74 Tue 26-Mar-13 06:54:34

We may be moving back to the uk from living abroad for the last few years. Two daughters age 8 and 6 so am more concerned about secondary schooling. We do have a house in the uk but we will simply sell and move anywhere in the south of England as we have family there. Any advice/opinions would be gratefully received.

Blu Tue 26-Mar-13 10:25:41

Norfolk?

Which just goes to show, really that there is no one simple story to tell on whole areas with great state schools. Favoured schools may not be the same as 'good', children may be happy and do v well in schools considered not good....

MrsExcited Tue 26-Mar-13 10:28:52

Pates in Cheltenham is a state grammar and is one of the best schools in the country (independents included) it offers more than just a good academic mix it has a lot of ex curric going on, again though Cheltenham is an expensive place for a house!! Also very competitive to get in, there are other grammars in Stroud and Glos, and some very good non selectively all around the Cotswolds.

Personally you will find good schools all over the country, I think you need to set a more localised search, then look for the best schools in that and go from there.

ISingSoprano Tue 26-Mar-13 11:13:28

Another vote for Winchester. Excellent secondaries and a sixth form college/FE set up which is outstanding.

MarjorieAntrobus Tue 26-Mar-13 12:01:53

Personally you will find good schools all over the country, I think you need to set a more localised search, then look for the best schools in that and go from there.

Yes, exactly what MrsExcited said ^^.

minesawine Tue 26-Mar-13 12:10:06

London is not south, I know. But Ealing schools are really good at the moment. wink

Befuzzledagain Tue 26-Mar-13 14:31:23

Oh, I am in EXACTLY the same position as you!!!! Isn't it hard!!! I have four children aged 2,4,6,8. Have done SO much research. We have just got back and camped up in Farnham because of South Farnham school (stuck on waiting list). We have been looking at Weydon Senior School but have just found out there is no sixth form. So now we are confused again. I can tell you that Surrey was our choice after hundreds of hours of research. The Howard of Effingham and George Abbott also have great reputations. We dismissed Perins in Alresford because the area was too small for us. We also dismissed Winchester as we couldn't find a state junior school which compared to the ones we saw in Surrey (just our own personal thoughts). Good luck!!!!! Perhaps see you in Surrey ; ))

Befuzzledagain Tue 26-Mar-13 14:33:52

Wow, you have got a good response on here. Hope it helps. I hope people help me as well - just posted too : ))

Karoleann Tue 26-Mar-13 14:38:05

Buckinghamshire, good primaries and grammar (although the alternatives if you don't get into grammar aren't great).

We live near beaconsfield

dumbelina Tue 26-Mar-13 14:41:14

Wokingham has across the board a good standard of both primary and secondary schools

ISingSoprano Tue 26-Mar-13 15:22:23

befuzzledagain Surrey is like Hampshire in that they have a system of 11-16 schools and separate sixth form colleges.

lateSeptember1964 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:24:59

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Lincoln-selected-best-places-live-Britain/story-18512055-detail/story.html#axzz2OexOSqUn.

Moved up here early 2000 and love it.

lateSeptember1964 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:26:02

((http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Lincoln-selected-best-places-live-Britain/story-18512055-detail/story.html#axzz2OexOSqUn))

lateSeptember1964 Tue 26-Mar-13 15:26:47

I can't get the link to work!

holidaysrcoming Tue 26-Mar-13 16:01:16

That is not correct about Surrey schools having separate sixth form colleges. There are a few but most are schools. George Abbot, Howard, St Peter's Gford, St Bede's Rehill all have sixth forms.

ISingSoprano Tue 26-Mar-13 16:10:43

sigh ok - most Surrey schools do not have sixth forms but some do.

malinois Tue 26-Mar-13 16:25:07

befuzzledagain A lack of sixth form is nothing to worry about. Godalming, Farnham and Farnborough Colleges are excellent and seem to produce more mature and independent students than many school sixth forms.

JenaiMorris Tue 26-Mar-13 16:31:56

I know bugger all about Surrey but I do know that an awful lots can change in 8 years, befuzz so I wouldn't even begin to start thinking about sixth forms!

re Bath secondaries, there were four single sex but now one each of the boys and girls schools have become co-ed, so there are now (at last) 3 co-ed non-denominationals, one boys, one girls, one co-ed RC and one co-ed CofE (these two have recently come together and will share a brand new sixth form - this was finalised ever so recently just to add weight to my opening comment re a lot changing in a few years).

JenaiMorris Tue 26-Mar-13 16:33:15

And as mal says there's nothing wrong with sixth form colleges.

Horsham has an amazing girls secondary, Millais. And a great mixed school, Tanbridge House.

I'm a bit perplexed about the Ealing comment. Drayton is good, but not sure where else would be considered 'excellent'?

mummytime Tue 26-Mar-13 16:51:15

Not all of Surrey is 11-16, Waverley (Godalming Farnham is), Guildford isn't, neither is Reigate I think.

mumsneedwine Tue 26-Mar-13 18:09:17

Ascot. All good primarys and a great secondary. It's not all silly expensive. Forests, space and good transport links. Well, I like it !

Mendi Tue 26-Mar-13 20:27:46

Just to point out re the Surrey 11-16 thing: Farnham is in Hampshire hence follows the Hampshire protocol of 11-16 then separate sixth form. Farnborough is also in Hampshire rather than Surrey.

All the schools I know in Surrey go through to 18 but then I only know about Guildford schools.

daisydoodoo Tue 26-Mar-13 20:31:50

Wokingham borough. Mostly very good/excellent schools. A good choice of secondary as well.

TCOB Tue 26-Mar-13 20:39:20

North Cotswolds - three outstanding primaries and two outstanding secondaries I. about a fifteen-mile radius. It's the only reason we pay through the nose to be here smile

twooter Tue 26-Mar-13 20:45:05

Solihull

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now