Boarding School

(17 Posts)
Rach4 Sat 08-Jun-13 23:22:20

Sidcot, nr Bristol
My son goes there and he has never felt bullied or intimidated and he suffered with this quite a bit in primary school.
Brilliant School

MrMom Tue 30-Apr-13 12:05:25

OP, No personal experience but have seen the following schools mentioned as having gentler ethos/atmosphere:
- www.bedales.org.uk
- www.stchris.co.uk
- www.bryanston.co.uk
Good luck

HoneyandRum Mon 29-Apr-13 21:42:32

Worth school in Sussex has fantastic pastoral care.

Another vote for quaker schools in general and Leighton Park in particular for valuing the individual, whatever their interests and inclinations.

Gruntfuttocks Sun 28-Apr-13 22:23:05

Perhaps OP has no choice?

Loving the dog-walking as sport idea. Sounds like my kind of school!

Ilovegeorgeclooney Sun 28-Apr-13 22:19:53

I am wondering why, if he is so sensitive, you want him to board?

iseenodust Fri 26-Apr-13 16:17:08

On another thread someone said that Bootham in York will recognise dogwalking for the purposes of sport. I thought that was fab. (a Quaker school)

unebagpipe Fri 26-Apr-13 14:35:29

I went here (King's College, Taunton)- and it was (and perhaps is still...?) a lovely school. Excellent "all-rounder" without being too pushy in any one area. Just lovely. If my DH wasn't so against boarding schools, my DS would go here too! www.kings-taunton.co.uk/about-kings/

Oots Fri 26-Apr-13 14:28:02

You could try St.Andrew's College in Cambridge. We are a small, family run school, with about 100 students in total. This year we took several students in a similar situation and they have had a very positive experience. We have our own halls of residence. Our students get good grades and go on to some of the top universities.

CHoward Mon 01-Apr-13 22:08:41

Try Lomond School in Helensburgh. It is a small school (500 pupils) and is a mixture of day and boarding. The boarding house has a family atmosphere as there are around 60 boarders of different ages, male and female. Year groups are fairly small which means that pastoral care is strong.

happygardening Sat 23-Mar-13 16:23:36

Too late Im afraid for Winchester 6 th form for Sept 2013 (fab as it is).

michaelaB Sat 23-Mar-13 12:12:26

Come and have a look at Ashford School in Kent. He'll be one of 25+ new sixth form boarders. Great nurturing school.

rezzle Sat 23-Mar-13 11:14:50

There are Quaker schools all over the country list here.

grovel Sat 23-Mar-13 10:41:38

happy, there was a nice article in the Spectator last week about a recently-retired English teacher at Winchester. Just the kind of man we want our DCs taught by. Erudite but in the real world.

grovel Sat 23-Mar-13 10:39:25

I would second Leighton Park. Our neighbours have a lovely, very gentle teenager who is thriving there.

happygardening Sat 23-Mar-13 07:55:48

Are you looking for a 6 th form place for September 2013 if yes then your choices are going to be more limited.
Worth considering are Shiplake Nr Henley, Bloxham in Oxfordshire St Edwards in Oxford considered by most prep school heads to be in a league of its own when it comes to pastoral care, there is a Quaker school in Reading called Leighton Park I don't know it but lots on MN rave about it and another Quaker school in nr Bristol called Sidcot one wold hope with their ethos they would be good for a sensitive child.
You do need to accept that no school what ever their ethos will guarantee your DS won't be bullied.

susiewong123 Sat 23-Mar-13 07:36:03

Hi I'm looking for a kind boarding school for my 16 year old sensitive son whose been bullied at last school - any suggestions? He's not sporty just a nice gentle boy. Don't mind which area but good to get some feedback!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now