Yr 7 Teachers Please Help re Sub Levels

(7 Posts)
urbancupcake Sat 23-Mar-13 01:01:19

I'm clearly googling the wrong thing as I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. All I've been able to find so far is marking schemes for general levels but they don't break it down into sub levels.

Would be really grateful if you could advise what percentage a child would need to achieve to move between sub-levels for English, Maths and Science, or I think I should be asking, what is the mark range between each sub-level? If that would vary from school to school just a general answer would be great.

For example, my dd scored 82% for Maths and revived a 5a. What would she needed to have scored to receive a 6c, for example?

Thanks so much for reading - first time I've asked a question so a bit nervoussmile

Schooldidi Sat 23-Mar-13 01:06:07

It depends on the level of the test. I teach Maths. One of my Year 7 classes would be getting a level 5a for 82%, another one would only be getting a level 4a for the same mark because the questions are easier.

So without knowing what the test is it's pretty difficult to say.

mnistooaddictive Sat 23-Mar-13 01:07:42

82% in what? There are no national tests in y7 so it will have been a test written by her school which is why you can't find any information . It isn't a simple thing as the a,b,c came in many years after the original levels. There is no definition for a level 5b or 5a just level 5. In general if a child can do all level 4 and a few level 5 topics thus is a 5c, some level 5 topics but not all 5b, nearly all level 5 topics 5a.

urbancupcake Sat 23-Mar-13 01:26:01

Wow thanks so, so much for the prompt replies - yes they were internal Christmas exams so that makes sense. So I guess that means the teacher would have their own marking range, is that right? Or is it all a but subjective mnistooaddictive

Also Schooldidi, on the surface that seems a bit worrying (although I appreciate knowing me I might be missing something), in that a level 5, may not be a true level 5. Why is that done when so many decisions, ie sets, are based on making comparisons with the cohort of that years intake?

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 23-Mar-13 08:52:31

I work out level boundaries by considering how many level 7, level 6, level 5 questions are on the test and I do this by using questions for a test base using past SATS questions that were levelled by the authorities. I will then monitor them for accuracy based on my understanding of the pupils in front of me. this will then be used across the year group as a standard.

Or, I will used an APP assessment where the pupils produce a piece of work which I then level using criteria set out by the government. These are then compared to marking across the department for consistency.

I am a science KS3 co-ordinator for a secondary school. I can't say if all departments work in a similar way to this but I would assume many do.

Whathaveiforgottentoday Sat 23-Mar-13 09:40:59

We do our levels in the same way as shipwricked although sometimes its a bit subjective and levels over the year do vary from topic to topic so I would use the levels as a guide rather than an accurate objective assessment of your child's level.

urbancupcake Sat 23-Mar-13 10:03:11

Thanks so much guys, I guess the best thing then is just to focus on the main level.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now