Kingsdale Foundation School Y7 offer... should I be happy?

(15 Posts)
julishka Tue 12-Mar-13 21:41:55

Here we go, after not having been offered any place at a school of our choice (drama) my daughter has now been offered a place at Kingsdale in Dulwich...it wasn't at the top of our list but at least it was on it. Now I am not sure if I should just be happy...it was quite a popular school in the past few years. The trouble is I have found out that there has been a huge dip in the GCSE results in 2012... far below national average and I know about the recent scandal about the marking of papers etc. My trouble is...does this really mean the schools teaching is THAT bad? Was it all a fabricated illusion or are the new results really just a temporary drop. How can things turn SO bad so quickly. I worry that other parents think twice to send their kids there and things could slip even more. I don't mind being convinced otherwise though. I know a school is more than just numbers. Would love to hear from current parents or others with an offer for September 2013. Cheers

aliasPrickleandJones Tue 12-Mar-13 22:35:01

Hi Julishka, I've pm'd because posts on KD threads have a tendency to go pouffe!

BanoffeeSplitz Wed 13-Mar-13 10:25:20

Remember that you can go on the waiting lists of schools that were both above & below you.

That said - I think plenty of current parents have confidence in the school, happy to send siblings, and plenty of local parents see it as a good solid choice, possibly even a bit relieved that it's no longer so over-hyped that they don't stand a chance of getting in.

Other local schools doing really well - e.g. Harris Girls East Dulwich - means the scramble for places locally is now not so desperate. That was contributing to the over-hype I think, but Kingsdale is still a good school. Co-Ed & a wide social range are plus points.

Blu Wed 13-Mar-13 17:57:02

Kingsdale received a very good ofsted report from an inspection which took place after last year's exams - and it specifically said that there had been particular problems and the school was dealing with it.

In any case you have nothing to lose by accepting the place at Kingsdale and continuing to remain on the waiting lists for schools which were higher up your list.

BoundandRebound Thu 14-Mar-13 18:39:42

Have sent a pm too the sum of is as year 7 parents we are delighted with the school and how well our child is doing academically and socially. The teachers are caring and committed the work schemes are excellent and you get 6 weekly reports on progress.

swhobbit Thu 14-Mar-13 20:25:48

Yr 8 parent , very happy with the school & progress of son who loves going to school , is actively involved in sports & music & challenged academically. I think all the very public issues that happened last year have made the school a better place today, Ofsted have confidence and I think the results this year will be back on track. If you are unsure I would recommend a visit during the day to have another look. Many online posters are very quick to condemn the school but the one thing they can't knock is the behaviour and the attitude of the kids. They are the happiest bunch and very loyal to their school which for me ticks many boxes. Good luck with your decision.

julishka Thu 14-Mar-13 20:57:01

Thanks for all the great messages. DD is to my amazement quite a intuitive and brave little one. We had another offer in today from a school where quite a few of her primary school friends will go to (no one of her school seems to have a place at Kingsdale). She simply looked at the messages I received here (which were very informative with and gave us both pros and cons) and at all the research she made in this process of looking for her new school. She loves maths and she loves music and she decided to pick ....Kingsdale. She feels it would challenge her more. It is her choice and she is now confidently striving for the Maths Scholarship. What can I say..smile

surreyparen Wed 24-Jul-13 20:17:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LuvMyBoyz Wed 24-Jul-13 20:46:13

The school I work at also had plummeting results for exam board reasons and results are back on track for 2013. Doesn't help last year's leavers, though.

PeriwinkleBlue Wed 24-Jul-13 21:45:13
Summersunandflowers Fri 26-Jul-13 19:53:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

surreyparen Sun 28-Jul-13 19:44:26

LuvMyBoyz

Was that due to teaching practice, boundary changes, potential centre malpractice or other?

Sorry there are too many rumours going on about the practice of some academies/schools, hence the changes to exam structures. So for me any academy/ school which such issues is off the list.

julishka Sat 28-Sep-13 20:52:57

Ok, my daughter has been at Kingsdale for the past three weeks and I have to say she is so happy there. She didn't really know any other children when she started but has made friends instantly. She wakes up every morning before anyone, gets herself ready and marches off to school with a smile. The homework is adequate, she is learning French and Latin and is taking part in many sports after school activities. All in all I could't be happier. To all of you who are still looking out for where to apply....talk to other parents...don't be afraid to follow your or your child's gut instinct. My daughter loved Kingsdale from the start, I was worried about the exam story, but really the most important thing is...is this a friendly enviroment where your child can grow, take the challanges and reach their potential? I say Kingsdale is.

swhobbit Sat 28-Sep-13 22:51:41

That is lovely news to hear ! I have always supported the Sch as Ds has been so happy & academically thriving at KD. The past events have I think made Sch stronger & things seem back on track with great results this year grin ! We do as parents over analyse the whole process , ultimately school is their experience & a happy kid will always do well in an environment where they thrive and feel comfortable. Good luck to all going through the process in the next few weeks smile

debor Wed 02-Oct-13 13:35:25

Must add, my son in year 8 is SO happy there, really looks forward to going to school. I feel really confident about the environment. My daughter cannot wait to go next year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now