SATS results - how do secondary schools view them/need them?

(33 Posts)
grants1000 Tue 05-Mar-13 10:56:49

DS is in Y6 and about to sit the SATS, for long and complicated reasons to do with funding, support and dyslexia, which I can't go into now, I am thinking about him not sitting them.

The questions I have is how important are they for the transition to secondary school? I hear they test them with CAT test anyway when they start at secondary level and they are part of the transition package primary school send. We've already had two meetings with secondary school about him.

My DS is stressed at pissed off at the moment and I think the pressure of the SATS from school is really getting to him I've tried to lighten it all for him and not place importance on them as the only thing that matters.

In my mind it would be like forcing a pilot to fly a plane blindfolded if he took them. Is the stress worth it? Is the fallout worth it? Are they long forgotten the minute they start secondary school?

I don't want a debate about the issue of sitting or not sitting his SATS, I would like help and advice from those with children at this level and how the secondary school system works.

Startail Wed 06-Mar-13 21:19:29

They can be a good illustration of problems and they can cause them too!

A very tiny and totally meaningless side effect of DD1's dyslexia is she can't read an analogue clock or remember her tables. Very unhelpful for Maths SATs and no bother at all for GCSE.

smee Thu 07-Mar-13 10:54:25

OP we've already been told that DS will have a scribe and extra time for his SATs as he's dyslexic and he's only in Year 4, so if you're not being offered similar for your DS then it seems odd. Especially if he's getting so wound up about it all. Will he feel relieved if you say he can't take them, or feel like the odd one out? That's the only thing I'd worry about, as the secondary school can assess him when he starts in September.

DS2 goes to Middle School and doesn't go to High School til Year 8 so I don't know how that works re SATS.

lljkk Fri 08-Mar-13 07:09:31

Word is that SATs are used in borderline cases for setting; the third bit of info after teacher report and then CATs.

DS in y8 was set on the basis of y5 report alone (no SATs or CATs). Seems to have worked out.

seeker Sat 09-Mar-13 01:28:50

All this proves that all schools are different and you need to ask the secondary school befor you make any decisions about SATs.

if its any help at all, ds went to secondary with no sats (dippy private primary) and no heads up from school. he did cats away ahead for admission as all kids did then first half term assessment. dont worry. they couldnt have cared less about sats.

oh and ds is dyspraxic too...

Chris03 Sun 12-May-13 20:04:09

My son got a level 5 sats so sat the level 6 paper passed but still had to sit cat tests in secondary they never cared about sat result well he's still year 7 now and he's recently been tested again and he scored 8A. So the 2 level jumps have been far exceeded. He's in just a normal comprehensive school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now